Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Shootas for teh people

Toxn

• 2 months later...

I'm fairly well removed from the hysteria still. But we have Open Carry "Oath Keepers" strutting around the Ferguson riots decked out in their full battle rattle.

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/armed-members-of-oath-keepers-return-to-ferguson-streets/article_e1275f62-db42-5cf5-9bac-6b5c8fb43981.html?mobile_touch=true

As my recollection holds, these are some of the same guys - or the group at least - which camped out at the Bundy Ranch protesting, among other things, the militarization of police and federal agencies. Curiously militarization of the police is also one of the complaints espoused by the Ferguson protestors.

We are not so different you and I.

The article quotes a St-Lueypolitical weasel complaining about "automatic weapons". The police on the other hand are more concerned that the Oath Keeper volunteers don't have proper permits or licenses to be security guards.

I've never been to Waco, Texas. But judging by what I see on the front page of the local paper, the Waco-Tribune's website, the news consists entirely of biker gang shootouts, road rage incidents, pharmacy burglaries, house fires, sex offender sentencing, editorials on Muhammad, Ted Nugent concerts, high school sports, underage sex trafficking, the installation of a new design of flashing stop light to stop people speeding downtown and the birthday of a woman who somehow has lived to be a 100 despite all of the above.

I lived Waco when I was stationed at Ft.Hood. It is pretty much like that with an added crowd of Baylor University kids sprinkled on top. 

As far as protesters fighting back police lines effectively? Line fighting takes practice. I couldn't imagine a gaggle of protesters getting together and pulling that off without prior training. Now if you could get some people together to drill before a planned protest, you could form an effective enough group. Proper shields are easy to make. We made about 60 36" 7mm cabinet grade Baltic birch shield blanks in an afternoon. 

The Oath Keeper types aren't helping that situation at all. I think they exacerbating an already volatile situation. On the plus side police reaction to them in comparison to the protesters is only helping to drive home some of the points the protesters are trying to make.  

• 2 months later...

Triplepoast FTW:

The substance I will hereafter call "improvised napalm"* is no joke.

Firstly, without protections like exam gloves, IN sticks to EVERYTHING and won't let go. This means it's extremely dangerous. Lighting IN? Have a little bit on you, and you go up, too. It weeps gasoline, so keep that in mind.

Secondly, it burns and burns and burns, in such a way that you immediately want to call it "devil fire" to call back to your medieval ancestors. It just burns. It doesn't stop until it becomes a tarry black substance and has permeated everything. I know this, because I accidentally destroyed a car doing it. The car was abandoned in the woods, and we tested the improvised napalm on the roof, thinking that would be a safe place. No, it burned, became runny, and ran off into the car, setting the upholstery on fire, and burning the car to the ground.

Do not fuck with improvised napalm. Attacking someone with napalm is at best condemning them to a life of ruined physicality, at worse sentencing them to a torturous death. Do not fuck with improvised napalm.

Full disclosure:

1. The people in that video are retarded. VICE, how far ye has fallen.

2. I explored some of the ideas in TACB. Most all of them are retarded. That did lead to me almost killing myself accidentally with a pipe bomb in high school, though.

I was especially unhappy of their treatment of the venerable tennisball bomb. I distinctly remember TACB instructing the manufacturer to wrap the thing multiple layers of tape, to the point that the ball should be significantly larger. These fuckwits saw fit to simply stick a single layer over the hole they cut and call it a day.

For shame, for shame.

• 6 months later...

Since it is May Day in Seattle, we were treated to our annual event of spoiled white hipsters donning masks and pretending like they are Anarchists. Here are some of the weapons used that have been reported.

Cha9EjGUcAEi6HD_zps9drr4o5o.jpg

We have threaded metal bar-like objects with duct tape used to help the grip, a chunk of wood and a Molotov cocktail made from a Heineken beer bottle. Fucking Heineken. In Seattle. When we have countless microbrews to choose from.

Fucking Anarchists. 

Chas9fHUUAYJLB3_zpsihpmzx5w.jpg

Anarchists threw cans of Chef Boyardee Ravioli at Seattle Police.

ChaHKLFUcAAGvjK_zpsnrshiudd.jpg

They also handed out "handcuff keys" in case they were arrested. 

From the looks it seemed like a pretty mild event compared to riots that I have attended. The Seattle PD kept the scum out of most downtown and herded them south past our stadium districts and into the industrial and warehouse district where the protest petered out in a Costco parking lot. It was a sunny day in the mid-70s and these guys began ditching and discarding all of their heavy black clothes and their "weapons".

Cha_FAUUkAAaUsa.jpg

The Seattle PD twitter coverage of the protest

https://twitter.com/seattlepd

And the May Day Seattle twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/MayDaySea?src=hash

I'm just happy I didn't have to beat some moron down with the MagLite that I keep with me in the vehicle for that purpose... I mean for whenever I have to work on the car in the dark since the wife and I had to be in Seattle for a Fisherman's Memorial event and then a friend's party. We narrowly avoided these fucktards three times. This was compounded by numerous construction projects that have shut down a good number of our local highways (See Viaduct, Bertha). It's interesting because a growing number of liberal/progressives in Seattle have grown tired of the Anarchist shit, particularly when they start smashing and destroying public art and fucking up everyone's favorite place to shop or eat.

Hair is very important for anarchy.

Also, Mr. Heineken can't make a proper molotov, for the record.

As you said, somebody very clever managed to convince the world that the proper form of molotov is also the form most likely to set your arm on fire.

Not that you need to be told to pack a gun as backup, but, that's the kind of situation when I like to have a gun packed as backup.

Yup. Definitely one of the situations where being visibly armed is a good idea.

I've been wondering lately if something like a long, streamlined cattle prod with a flexible shaft might be the closest we can come to resurrecting the rapier.

In any case, beating a man with a torch is a sure path to enlightenment.

I guess there are tactical flashlights (not that this is surprising) with rugged bits for smashing, tasers and dazzle effects. But since those are expensive, my MagLite that I've owned since the 1990s is good enough for me. Although I do have to upgrade it to an LED as opposed to the old bulb. There are kits for that.

Not that you need to be told to pack a gun as backup, but, that's the kind of situation when I like to have a gun packed as backup.

You know me man. I always pack a gun. Although I was THIS close to going with my M9 today since I was wearing a suit and I'm classy like that. But as always, went with my SP101.

However, there are numerous situations where brandishing a handgun is simply not practical. I believe in having options which give me another alternative between shooting someone and having to use my fists. Sixteen inches of aluminum with D-Cell batteries smacked across someone's snout or jabbed into the mouth is enough to deescalate most situations. 

You know me man. I always pack a gun. Although I was THIS close to going with my M9 today since I was wearing a suit and I'm classy like that. But as always, went with my SP101.

However, there are numerous situations where brandishing a handgun is simply not practical. I believe in having options which give me another alternative between shooting someone and having to use my fists. Sixteen inches of aluminum with D-Cell batteries smacked across someone's snout or jabbed into the mouth is enough to deescalate most situations. 

We've gone back and forth on wheelguns and automatics, but the SP101 is a weapon I will still recommend to anyone. It's really hard to argue with the basic utility of a stainless steel wheelgun that's as well-made as those Rugers.

We've gone back and forth on wheelguns and automatics, but the SP101 is a weapon I will still recommend to anyone. It's really hard to argue with the basic utility of a stainless steel wheelgun that's as well-made as those Rugers.

Yep. It's also a bit heavier which helps reduce that felt recoil when firing the .357 Mag. It's an industrial, no-bull shit weapon, with a sturdy rubbery/plastic grip that is ugly as shit but you don't feel bad wearing it on your hip if you have to crawl under your car and it gets scuffed. The previous owner put a bit of work - and good gunsmithing work - into it rounding off and beveling all the jagged corners to make it smooth and ergonomic. 

Oh yeah, in the pre-Glock 43 era, it's easy to see why the SP101 was and still is popular. It might not be the optimum handgun for you, but it's a good handgun for everyone.

I think when people talk about reliable wheelgun backups that you carry on your ankle or whatever, most of the time, they mean the Ruger SP101. I feel like it takes all the sort of dainty delicateness out of the classic revolver; it's a five shot brute that not only feels like it will work whenever you need it to, but probably actually will.

It's good enough for me right now with the world I live in. I'm not made of money of course and have to limit my firearms purchases but a few weeks ago I felt the need to have something MORE concealable than the SP101. Conversely I would kind of like a hip gun that isn't as redonkulously heavy as the M9. The issue is I really don't like Glocks and the polymer, striker fired hell spawn that it has inspired.

More to the topic, and back to flashlights. I guess I am a fogey since 99 percent of the "tactical" flashlights these days are small affairs. And they're great, don't get me wrong, we are living in a golden age of flashlights what with LED technology. But conversely, having a good, heavy beating flashlight that you can lay-open the head of some goon like a ripe melon seems like a good idea that has gone right out of style. And I don't understand why. Again, I have little flashlights all over the place, including bunches of the cheapo 12-fer-10 affairs that if I lose them, I don't care. 

But like, if I'm a jogger, why wouldn't you be carrying a 4 D-cell flashlight? It helps your workout anyway.

Just me spitballing late at night.