Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Let's Talk Dark Souls

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of derailed my playthrough of the first game.  I didn't realize that the Shrine Fire Keeper Soul you take from Lautrec, the one that looks like and is named the same as every other Fire Keeper soul, is the only thing that can revive the Fire Keeper.  Buffing Estus to fight Ornstein and Smough seemed like a no-brainer at the time.  Now shrine bonfire is kill and I'm discouraged from doing much in New Londo.  I'm also too lazy right now to just use another bonfire and then warp back to it.

Ceaseless Discharge is a very strange boss in numerous ways. 

6 hours ago, Scolopax said:

I kind of derailed my playthrough of the first game.  I didn't realize that the Shrine Fire Keeper Soul you take from Lautrec, the one that looks like and is named the same as every other Fire Keeper soul, is the only thing that can revive the Fire Keeper.  Buffing Estus to fight Ornstein and Smough seemed like a no-brainer at the time.  Now shrine bonfire is kill and I'm discouraged from doing much in New Londo.  I'm also too lazy right now to just use another bonfire and then warp back to it.

Ceaseless Discharge is a very strange boss in numerous ways. 

I actually made a lot of mistakes during my SL1 playthrough, including burning the Firekeeper's soul. Oh well, warping into Firelink only cost me an extra 5 seconds on a Four Kings run into New Londo. 

The descriptions of the souls are different, and that's how you can tell. 

I also had to run through the whole game before O&S and get my weapon Fire infused, since that's what Ornstein is weak to. My lightning crap wasn't gonna do anything to him. Plus Gwynn is weak to fire as well. 

Ceaseless Discharge is a 1-shot boss if you can run away after grabbing the item (His dead sister's clothes. You pervert). If he follows you all the way back to the fog gate, he will try to jump after you but land short and just hang there. Hit him a few times and he falls. No fuss.

Also, here's a video series where LobosJr, a well-known streamer, shows you how to "cheese" every single boss in the game. 

"Cheese" is to trivialize the boss. Every boss in DS1 has some sort of cheese, whether intentional or a glitch, that make them very "easy" to kill. 

I say "easy" because sometimes the cheese strategy takes longer than killing the boss normally.

3 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Ceaseless Discharge is a 1-shot boss if you can run away after grabbing the item (His dead sister's clothes. You pervert). If he follows you all the way back to the fog gate, he will try to jump after you but land short and just hang there. Hit him a few times and he falls. No fuss.

I was aware he was a big gimmick boss before fighting him.  He killed me on my first go though, and when I would fight him again, he would just stay at a range and blast me with that fire explosion.  Apparently you just have to run back to where the witch set was to re-trigger him jumping at you and then falling.  I just find this whole boss fight overall rather odd.  His actual name coupled with his looks still gets me.

I haven't played the game for a little bit now, but as far as my progression, I was currently just past the part were you drain New Londo, but I've realized that I still have to go through the forest area to fight Sif before I can actually fight the Four Kings.  On the front of the other Lord Bosses, I've stopped at the first bonfire in the Tomb of the Giants (I'll admit to Patches getting me), stalled at the Fire Sage Demon, and have made no effort towards Seath.  It might be a while before I pick back up.

37 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

I was aware he was a big gimmick boss before fighting him.  He killed me on my first go though, and when I would fight him again, he would just stay at a range and blast me with that fire explosion.  Apparently you just have to run back to where the witch set was to re-trigger him jumping at you and then falling.  I just find this whole boss fight overall rather odd.  His actual name coupled with his looks still gets me.

So if you actually run back to where you picked up the witch's set, you can fight him normally. Just dodge his large physical attacks and then attack the arm (thing?) that he used to try to squash you. It may take a while but I've killed him like that before as well. 

And yes, the name "Ceaseless Discharge" still gives me the willies.

Sif isn't that bad of a fight. His attacks are fairly telegraphed.  The Four Kings can be kinda hard, if only for the boss-run required. 

The trick to Nito is to get the Stone Armor or Havel's Armor and just tank all the attacks. Heal when you can, and keep attacking. Let Nito come to you, as well, don't go toward him. That will agro the larger enemies in that arena. And Nito's own attacks will take out the normal skeletons. 

Seath's big trick is you have to take out the crystal. Then run in, hit him a few times, then run away. If you're far away, he'll do a far-away attack that will miss you if you're close. If you're close, he'll do a close attack that will miss you if you're far away. These attacks have telegraphed moves and long wind-ups, so you don't ever have to dodge if you just run in, attack three of four times, and run away when he does a close up attack. 

Gwynn is basically "I hope you learned to parry".

• 4 weeks later...

So you lost about 30 miutes just on bosses? I thought that those games are linear and taking into account running speed could not be "speedrun" anywhere as fast as some older FPS. Hell, Red Alert 2 RTS speedrun that i saw was 1h30m or 1h40m.

12 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

So you lost about 30 miutes just on bosses? I thought that those games are linear and taking into account running speed could not be "speedrun" anywhere as fast as some older FPS. Hell, Red Alert 2 RTS speedrun that i saw was 1h30m or 1h40m.

I lost time because I sucked and died a lot, and used pretty safe strats that also hindered my time. The game can be run very quickly, however, if you're decent. Here's a video of Lobosjr doing it in just under 1 hour. 

This is not the world record, and Lobos isn't a speedrunner. 

It really depends on which route you take. The game is linear up until halfway through, then it splits four ways. But really, even the first part of the game isn't that linear. 

Speaking of speedruns, I'm going to start a thread all about them one of these days. They're something I really enjoy.

Started my next speedrun tonight. Got an hour in and Smough and Ornstein are dead. 

My mistakes have been embarrassing. I killed Quelagg in one go, but died to a maggot trying to get the hidden bonfire right after her. I got backstabbed on the rafters in Anor Londo (That's a first for me). 

And I died to O&S three times, which sucked ass. Hopefully I can make my time up on Seath. That's my next boss.

From there, I'll hit the woods for Sif and the Artorious ring. Then I'll do 4 kings (New Londo.... ughhh), then Nito (takes literally 5 min if I get my damned routing right), and finally I'll knock off Bed of Chaos (And the demons that are between me and that gimmick boss).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started my Dark Souls 2 level 1 run on Labor day. My goal is under 8 hours, but we'll see. 

In the meanwhile, here's a fantastic video about some really great changes and critiques for Dark Souls 3 (Aka, Moneysoulz)

Granted, I really enjoy DS3. And DS2. And DS1. But I'm not blind to their faults.

• 3 weeks later...

Dark Souls 2 (Scholar of the First Sin version, only one I have downloaded) is going well. 

This is my Level 1 run. As in, I start at the lowest possible level and then never get stronger.

I decided to do just a "beat the game" run. But I did kill Smelter Demon, who is technically optional. I wanted that bonfire for the next run. 

Here I am after beating Old Iron King tonight.

8b5LkZL.jpg

xwMUSMp.jpg

I AIN'T GOT NO JUNK

Level 1 Dark Souls 2 run, or what I like to call "Crazed Axe-Wielding Murder-Hobo Fantasy RPG"

A quick selfie at Dragon's Aeiry (sp?) before going through the challenge gauntlet to be given the right to speak to the ancient dragon

q8oasms.jpg

I finally made it. Fuck all y'all. Here's me with a big-ass Dragon.

r283xSP.jpg

• 2 months later...