Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

Since I don't think we have a general news thread, I decided to make one. Dump all news in here that doesn't fit other threads.

Soooooo... an EgyptAir Airbus A320 just got hijacked.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-35915139

A hijacked EgyptAir airliner has landed at Larnaca airport in Cyprus.

Airline and Egyptian government sources are quoted as saying that the domestic flight travelling from Alexandria to Cairo was taken over by at least one armed hijacker.

They asked for the flight to land in Cyprus, an EgyptAir spokeswoman is quoted as saying.

The Cyprus Broadcasting Corporation reports that 55 people are on board.

There were earlier reports of more than 80 people on board.

Well, that ended peacefully.

A quote from the Sun Article on it.

"Officials said early on that the hijacking was not an act of terrorism, and later that the man appeared to be psychologically unstable. However, the incident was likely to renew concerns about Egyptian airport security months after a Russian passenger plane was downed over the Sinai Peninsula in a bombing claimed by the Islamic State group.

"From the start, it was clear that this wasn't an act of terrorism, and despite the fact that the individual appeared to be dangerous in terms of his behaviour, we understood that this was a psychologically unstable person," Cyprus' Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides told reporters.

He said the man initially asked to speak with his Cypriot ex-wife, who police brought to the airport."

The Ministry of Defense of the Nagorno Karabakh Republic has published photos of allegedly downed drone of Azerbaijani Armed Forces

0_978e32_827cf978_XL.jpg

0_978e33_972614ef_XL.jpg

Armenia is ready to support Nagorno-Karabakh and intends to conclude a contract with it for mutual assistance:

Armenian MFA is necessary in cooperation with the Foreign Ministry of Karabakh to conclude an agreement on mutual military assistance, he said Armenian President Serzh Sargsyan said at an emergency meeting of the National Security Council.

Defense Minister of Azerbaijan, Colonel-General Zakir Hasanov discussed by telephone with the Minister of National Defence of the Republic of Turkey Ismet Yilmaz and Chief of General Staff of the Armed Forces, Army General Hulusi Acar events that took place in our occupied territories, and the situation has arisen here, Day.Az reports with AzerTAc.  

According to the press service of the Ministry of Defense, during a conversation, the Turkish side reiterated that Azerbaijan occupies a very fair position, and expressed strong support for our country.

http://boingboing.net/2016/04/03/largest-leak-in-history-reveal.html

So I wonder how many governments will fall because of this? 

The Panama Papers reveal:

* Twelve national leaders are among 143 politicians, their families and close associates from around the world known to have been using offshore tax havens.

* A $2bn trail leads all the way to Vladimir Putin. The Russian president’s best friend – a cellist called Sergei Roldugin - is at the centre of a scheme in which money from Russian state banks is hidden offshore. Some of it ends up in a ski resort where in 2013 Putin’s daughter Katerina got married.

* Among national leaders with offshore wealth are Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan’s prime minister; Ayad Allawi, ex-interim prime minister and former vice-president of Iraq; Petro Poroshenko, president of Ukraine; Alaa Mubarak, son of Egypt’s former president; and the prime minister of Iceland, Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson.

* Six members of the House of Lords, three former Conservative MPs and dozens of donors to UK political parties have had offshore assets. The families of at least eight current and former members of China’s supreme ruling body, the politburo, have been found to have hidden wealth offshore.

* Twenty-three individuals who have had sanctions imposed on them for supporting the regimes in North Korea, Zimbabwe, Russia, Iran and Syria have been clients of Mossack Fonseca. Their companies were harboured by the Seychelles, the British Virgin Islands, Panama and other jurisdictions.

* A key member of Fifa’s powerful ethics committee, which is supposed to be spearheading reform at world football’s scandal-hit governing body, acted as a lawyer for individuals and companies recently charged with bribery and corruption.

http://boingboing.net/2016/04/03/largest-leak-in-history-reveal.html

So I wonder how many governments will fall because of this? 

The Panama Papers reveal:

* Twelve national leaders are among 143 politicians, their families and close associates from around the world known to have been using offshore tax havens.

* A $2bn trail leads all the way to Vladimir Putin. The Russian president’s best friend – a cellist called Sergei Roldugin - is at the centre of a scheme in which money from Russian state banks is hidden offshore. Some of it ends up in a ski resort where in 2013 Putin’s daughter Katerina got married.

* Among national leaders with offshore wealth are Nawaz Sharif, Pakistan’s prime minister; Ayad Allawi, ex-interim prime minister and former vice-president of Iraq; Petro Poroshenko, president of Ukraine; Alaa Mubarak, son of Egypt’s former president; and the prime minister of Iceland, Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson.

* Six members of the House of Lords, three former Conservative MPs and dozens of donors to UK political parties have had offshore assets. The families of at least eight current and former members of China’s supreme ruling body, the politburo, have been found to have hidden wealth offshore.

* Twenty-three individuals who have had sanctions imposed on them for supporting the regimes in North Korea, Zimbabwe, Russia, Iran and Syria have been clients of Mossack Fonseca. Their companies were harboured by the Seychelles, the British Virgin Islands, Panama and other jurisdictions.

* A key member of Fifa’s powerful ethics committee, which is supposed to be spearheading reform at world football’s scandal-hit governing body, acted as a lawyer for individuals and companies recently charged with bribery and corruption.

Rich and powerful people use legal loopholes to protect their wealth?  I'm shocked, shocked I say!  I guess Swiss bank accounts are passe these days.

Rich and powerful people use legal loopholes to protect their wealth?  I'm shocked, shocked I say!  I guess Swiss bank accounts are passe these days.

Swiss will eventually give you up these days if the IRS/CIA/FBI are persistent enough. Panama, not so much.

I'm interested in the consequences in Iceland specifically.