Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

General news thread

Bronezhilet

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:

Wells Fargo is a collection of unethical, deceitful shitters. The problem is that most of the big banks are the same.

From what I gather, it is going to cost the city a lot of money to have its bean-counters track down and divest itself of all of the individual, separate accounts. I'm also curious to see which institution Seattle will invest its $3 billion in walking money.

Also I wouldn't put it past the folks who run the show in my old home town to simply walk off with a chunk of this money.

2 hours ago, LostCosmonaut said:

The might open the second largest rare earth mine on Earth in Greenland; http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/world/2017/02/10/greenland-needs-money-is-a-uranium-mine-the-answer/

That article reminds me of why I hate environmentalists; these are the same people who talk about privilege without knowing how privileged they are to not have to worry about being in poverty. They would rather sentence the locals to poverty rather than development (which has strict environmental regulations today for nearly everywhere) which would provide the locals with a lot of wealth, some of which can be used to maintain and possibly improve the environment. The wealth can be also used to diversify its economy and make the locals less affected by the same climate change they're so worried about.

1 hour ago, ShamefurDispray said:

That article reminds me of why I hate environmentalists; these are the same people who talk about privilege without knowing how privileged they are to not have to worry about being in poverty. They would rather sentence the locals to poverty rather than development (which has strict environmental regulations today for nearly everywhere) which would provide the locals with a lot of wealth, some of which can be used to maintain and possibly improve the environment. The wealth can be also used to diversify its economy and make the locals less affected by the same climate change they're so worried about.

Iowa is a poster child for well meaning environmental retardation. We regularly do controlled burns of prairie lands because burning functioning ecosystems is so counter-intuitive that it must be good for the environment. Since we started doing controlled burns, one of my biology teachers started keeping track of the extinction rate of native butterflies with small ranges and populations, surprisingly a whole ton of them quickly went extinct. We turn tons of corn into ethanol fuel (which is a shit show in itself), meanwhile people still need corn for other things. We've been handing out subsidies for leaving land fallow (because fallow farmland is 'prairie' now) and you can't just wave a wand to make new farmland . Anyways, guess what correlates with ethanol production? Conversion of rain forests to farmland.

Yeah. Dams overflowing aren't anything to laugh about. Living in dam country myself, it's always a good idea to know where you are in relations to the thousands of cubic acres of water sitting upstream from you.

With that said, it is impressive how the original designers of that facility built her right. 

Also, I'm curious what the decision making process was to keep so much water on hand in the reservoir prior to this storm that hit California. Yeah. It has everything to do with the drought.

Also. Fuck Los Angeles and the water wasters who live there who have zero idea where their water comes from when they water their lawns or turn on their taps. 

Yeah. It is hard to get an idea of the scope of the damage from just a photograph. But I'm looking at the two-lane access road which is mostly washed out on the photo that Lost posted. And it seems the eroded areas are three or four times wider than the road. And those are dump trucks offloading rubble to help shore up the concrete work of the dam. The good news I guess is the lake level has receded to the point that the emergency spillway isn't needed at the moment. But if for some reason another storm came in, it looks like the erosion on the lower right of the photograph is relatively close to undermining the lip of the concrete spillway. Once that goes, it'll be a chain reaction of the dam failing and being carved away by the reservoir behind it.

As one would suspect, the facts behind the assassination of Kim Jong Nam are confusing and contradictory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-39096172

It seems a VX nerve agent was used. 

The women who administered the agent claim they were doing it as a prank and thought that it was baby oil they were using.

Also more individuals are wanted by Malaysian police.