Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Toxn

Seeing the screencap reminded me of the little I've worked on AutoCAD and I'm thinking it's an issue with 3ds max.

With how 3ds max deals with the topography of objects, it spits out a whole bunch of extra and nasty junk if you chamfer much on an already complex shape. Other tools that would be important are rather fickle and also spit out a bunch extra junk that makes life tough.

While 3ds max uses vertices and polies and all that, AutoCad and SolidWorks look like they operate more on fancy lines.

While you can technically work with just lines in 3ds max, it's like using Microsoft Word for spreadsheets instead of excel.

I'm too lazy to look for plugins and would rather learn solidworks.

From what I've heard, AutoCad doesn't really work and you should never use it.

SolidWorks, as I understand it, is the 3D equivalent of a vector-drawn image program.  The model isn't based on polygons and vertices, it's based on dimensions.  The polygons and vertices shown on screen are calculated from the dimensions.

This takes much more horsepower to render, but it can be manipulated much more readily.

I probably won't have actual time to work on my thing until Monday, but it keeps turning into a more and more serious submission in my mind. It's also turned more unto a heavy recon thing that doubles as mobile firepower.

Currently trying to decide between a 2 man crew or 3 man. With those fancy new target tracking systems and autoloaders, the tank can occupy the role of the loader and half the role of the gunner. 2 crew means more ammo stowage and smaller size.

3 man crew takes up more space, but it's another guy inside to do things. I don't currently have an area set aside for number 3.

Gun is likely a 60mm autocannon, with a coaxial MG for more dakka. Turret is weird. It's unmanned, but the gun stuff is partitioned off from the crew for NBC protection. Commander is positioned under that bump on the MG side of the turret.

Road wheels and idler wheel are taken from existing designs.

Protection without armor upgrades is supposed to be 30mm APDS on the frontal arc and 14.5mm from all other sides. I made the hull floor shape a bit better for mines.

From what I've heard, AutoCad doesn't really work and you should never use it.

SolidWorks, as I understand it, is the 3D equivalent of a vector-drawn image program. The model isn't based on polygons and vertices, it's based on dimensions. The polygons and vertices shown on screen are calculated from the dimensions.

This takes much more horsepower to render, but it can be manipulated much more readily.

I guess that's another way to put it, ans it probably works better than my anology. Tomorrow I'll try to grab an example of the monstrosities I was talking about in 3ds max.

I will say there's a reason why I've dealt so little with AutoCAD (I don't like it). It's free for me since I'm a student, and I've had to use it in a couple courses. Beyond that, I avoid it.

FINAL ENTRY

2S37 плесень

gLWUXMp.png

JplG41Y.png

Width: 3.28m

Length (not including main armament): 6.22m

Length (gun forward): 10.18m

Length (gun rear): 9.72m

Height: 2.48m

Crew: 3 (driver, commander, gunner)

Weight: 30 tons

Frontal Armor: 50mm at 65 deg

Other armor: 20-30mm

Hull empty weight: ~8450 kg

Turret empty weight: ~2700 kg

Turret ring diameter: 1800mm

Turret front armor: 60mm at 45 degrees

Other turret armor: 30mm

Track width: 400mm

Length of contact patch: 4.70m

Total surface area in contact with ground: 3.76m^2

Ground pressure: 78 kPa = 11.3 psi

Engine: V-92S2

Engine power: 746 kW / 1000 hp

Engine dimensions: Length 1.5m, Width 900mm Height 900mm

Engine weight: 1020 kg

Engine+Transmission+Cooling system weight: ~4000 kg

Main armament: 2A29K smoothbore 100mm gun

Main armament loading system: Autoloader similar to T-72

Main armament rate of fire: ~10 rpm

Main armament elevation range: -12/31 degrees

Main armament + loading system weight: 2,500 kg (wiki list's 2,750 kilos, but that's including wheels, gun shield, towing equipment, and other stuff that isn't needed)

Secondary armament: AGS-30 automatic grenade launcher

Secondary armament: KPV 14.5mm heavy machine gun

Description

Upon receipt of design requirements, it was decided to use another vehicle as the "base", and modify the design from that. Originally, this was to be the BMP-3, however, upon further thought, it was decided to use the 2S25 Sprut airmobile tank destroyer. While the final design of the 2S37 does not share any major components with the 2S25, the Sprut was something of an inspiration.

The 2S37 was an attempt to meet three sometimes contradictory design requirements; anti-vehicle performance, infantry support capability, and easy transportability. Almost immediately, it was realized that not all requirements put forth could be met at the same time. Fitting the vehicle into a C-130/An-12 class aircraft would have imposed severe constraints on design and weight, which would have adversely affected performance in other areas. Instead, it was decided to design the 2S37 for transport in an Il-76 class aircraft. Assuming a total payload of 60 tons, a weight of 30 tons would allow two 2S37s to be carried in each aircraft.

The next choice was the main armament. While the 2S37 was not intended to face modern vehicles such as the M1 or T-90, it was realized in various "brushfire" conflicts it could run into tanks such as the T-55 or M48. Having a gun capable of defeating these tanks was thought to be essential. The Sprut managed to fit a 125mm gun into a chassis weighing less than 20 tons, but at the cost of low armor and other compromises. Instead, it was decided to use the 2A29 100mm antitank gun, fitted with an automatic loading device, and a modern stabilization and fire control system. Though an older weapon, the 2A29 with modern ammunition was easily capable of defeating tanks such as the T-55 from long range. The addition of the 9M117 gun launched anti-tank missile increased the weapon's range even further. Another important factor was the large HE payload of the 100mm gun (compared to other options considered such as a 57mm autocannon). This would enable the 2S37 to be useful in an infantry support role, or even as ad hoc artillery. It was considered to put the main armament in an unmanned turret, but this was decided against, for reasons of simplicity and to allow the crew to load the gun in the event of autoloader failure (this would severely reduce RoF).

However, the 2A29 not be sufficient for infantry support and operations in urban areas. A coaxial KPV machine gun was an easy fitting to improve this, but the designers felt that more was needed. The AGS-30 automatic grenade launcher was a low-weight weapon system which massively improved utility in the close support role. Fitted in a smaller turret on the rear of the main one, the AGS-30 could be used in a direct fire role or indirect fire at short ranges against soft targets.

The armor layout of the 2S37 was another important aspect of the design, one which was driven by both the weight and design philosophy. The primary armor material is a lightweight steel alloy (ρ = 7300 m3), which allowed for some weight savings while still having good properties. It was desired to make the 2S37 immune to low caliber autocannons in the frontal arc, in order that it could engage vehicles such as the M2 Bradley with impunity. While the 2S37's superior main armament would help, armor was also needed. Research showed that approximately 80mm of line of sight thickness would provide an acceptable level of protection. It was decided to utilize a 50mm thick armor plate sloped at 65 degrees, for a total thickness on the upper glacis, for a total LoS thickness of about 115mm. This would provide an adequate margin, and the sloping would give some protection against move primitive shaped charges. ERA plates can optionally be fitted, although the addition of these will increase the weight of the 2S37 beyond transportability limits. The sides and rear of the vehicle were armored to 30mm, to provide resistance against machine gun rounds.

The V92-S2 engine from the T-90 was chosen as the powerplant, giving a power/weight ratio of 33 horsepower / ton. This gives the 2S37 excellent mobility, while using an off-the-shelf engine. A new cooling system was required to fit the V92 into the 2S37's smaller chassis. The V84 engine is also available as a low-cost option. Suspension is conventional torsion bars, utilizing purpose designed components.

Suggestion: Can the deadline for this and all future contests be moved to like, the 5th or something? I have been scrambling to catch up on work for the end of the month and would appreciate a few days to put together something nice for this contest.

Sure.

Other contestants, give a shout if the new date suits.

Yeah, pushing it back would be nice since I've been busy and I joined late. Haven't been able to work much these past few days.

Settled on my idler wheel, working on the commander's main sights.

I don't know if mine really counts as an entry either since I've not made an effort yet to use existing parts and I've not paid much attention to the guidelines.

So, what date is now final?

I propose a next thing - in last day every contestant post their final version submission with big red FINAL VERSION in caps in as their first words of the post, so it will be easier for judges to not get lost in pictures/posts/etc.

After that, the judges should look at which design was able to fulfill requirements, probably via teamspeak or PM. If we will have 2 or more submissions, that managed to match completely in first comparison, than we will look at them with magnifier.

Judges are: Me, Collimatrix, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks.

50$ is SRS BSNSS

50_bucks_by_greenchikin.jpg

Loooser suggested them, so that's easy.

I'll chat to coli and Jeeps as well.

I'll also send a PM to the other contestants.

LoooSeR suggested what? The rules section of this subforum is something I made up.

BTW, my submission should be ready in the next day or two. I have some renders and a write-up to make, but it'll be here soon. I am going to create a new post for it, so that others can still look at my worksheet if they want.

Be warned: It will come in the form of a company brochure...

LoooSeR suggested what? The rules section of this subforum is something I made up.

BTW, my submission should be ready in the next day or two. I have some renders and a write-up to make, but it'll be here soon. I am going to create a new post for it, so that others can still look at my worksheet if they want.

Be warned: It will come in the form of a company brochure...

So, what date is now final?

I propose a next thing - in last day every contestant post their final version submission with big red FINAL VERSION in caps in as their first words of the post, so it will be easier for judges to not get lost in pictures/posts/etc.

After that, the judges should look at which design was able to fulfill requirements, probably via teamspeak or PM. If we will have 2 or more submissions, that managed to match completely in first comparison, than we will look at them with magnifier.

Judges are: Me, Collimatrix, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks.

50$ is SRS BSNSS

50_bucks_by_greenchikin.jpg