Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Toxn

Nobody suggested a tracked carrier tossing salvos of TOW or M47's at tanks from cover, either using a periscopic sight or perhaps incorporating displaced spotters for secondary guidance?

Nobody suggested a tracked carrier tossing salvos of TOW or M47's at tanks from cover, either using a periscopic sight or perhaps incorporating displaced spotters for secondary guidance?

Can I make an M50 Ontos: Meplat edition?

Hey, I found the thread! yay......

Sorry, I lost track of the thread when it was moved and school decided to throw a exam and a lot of important tests at me. 

I can see if I can post my submission just for fun.

(On a side note, could we have thread discussing volume and fighting compartment size? I am having a real problem figuring out the needed space for different designs, for example the CV90s troop compartment, which is a CV-90 gunner told me is roughly 1,5 meters wide, which is hard to imagine.)

Mvh

Xoon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Wasn't yours a 75mm though?

It was, but it also had a very compact case geometry. Far bigger autocannons have been designed (up to 8 inch!), with higher rates of fire. Their primary issue was thermal loading, which is why the high ROFs for the Caracal were limited to 3 round bursts.

4 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

It was, but it also had a very compact case geometry. Far bigger autocannons have been designed (up to 8 inch!), with higher rates of fire. Their primary issue was thermal loading, which is why the high ROFs for the Caracal were limited to 3 round bursts.

I thought the primary issue was the giant rube goldberg machine you need to load a cannon once it gets too big to have a reciprocating breech.

But I will bow to your technical knowledge here, as I'm well aware that mine is lacking.

Just now, Toxn said:

I thought the primary issue was the giant rube goldberg machine you need to load a cannon once it gets too big to have a reciprocating breech.

But I will bow to your technical knowledge here, as I'm well aware that mine is lacking.

You are underestimating how much space there is in an M1's turret. There's plenty for the mechanism I had in mind. Which, granted, wasn't a reciprocating breech, but that's besides the point.