Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Competition: A modern medium AFV

Toxn

Oh, I know why you're freaked out. The "hull width" listed in my worksheet is literally the width of the hull body, not the width of the entire hull including tracks, side skirts, ERA, etc.

I assumed that, but is it with or without the overhang of the turret ring? But it still all depends on the contact length of the track, which depends on the position and orientation of the roadwheels.

The Baberams comes out at almost exactly 1.6.

An M1 Abrams is 1.59.

I think I am just fine, buddy. :)

Ah I see. Leo 2 is 1.69 on asphalt.

Without the overhang.

I'm estimating contact length. I am most likely going to use M2 Bradley suspension elements, 7 per side. I estimated contact length by modifying the contact length of a Bradley by 7/6, and by modifying the contact length of an M1 Abrams by 7.54/7.92 (compensating for the Baberams's shorter hull), and averaging those two values.

The reason I am using Brad running gear is because one of my boxes I wanted to tick was being no wider than an M1 Abrams, even with side-mounted ERA attached. Using 21" tracks doesn't get me all the way there, I guess, but it helps and it's not like the tank needs the extra weight of the Abrams's gear.

I am aiming at creating 2 vehicles - one aimed for more "insurgent" type of local conflict, second will be aimed at local conflicts with small, but seriously equipped armies. First is Chechnya/Syria-like conflicts with big part of operations in mountain landscapes. Second is Ukraine-like wars, with more open fields fights and enemy with big number of tanks and AT weapons.

First vehicle i will base on Kurganets-25 chassis with some modifications with a little unusual weapon choices  ;) 

As my design is not part of competition, i will not bother with too-much detailed work, but still will do some internal schematics. Vehicle will be ~35 tons, serious protection against infantry AT weapons like ATGMs, RPGs, EFP mines, IEDs and frontal protection against 23-60 mm cannons. Some small changes to suspension are also planned. Rear hull will be re-designed, as current ones on Kurganets are more fit to IFV/APC duty. Turret will be completely new, i need to figure out weapons feed system in unmanned turret, part of which is also occupied by comander's pretty big RCWS and ammunition for it.

Second vehicle will be much closer to a tank or assault gun, around 50-55 tons. Still working on probable design of first vehicle (need some calculations of space inside), so no details on this one. Probably will have frontal engine and rear turret layout, similar to Object 299 or T-15 heavy IFV. Main weapon would be on par with tank guns.

I have an idea basically combining maybe a widened Rooikat with better frontal aspect penetration (ERA) and the BMP-3 Derivatsiya modular RCWS, but I don't really know enough about tanks to be able to make that detailed a proposal/specification.

I could probably draw a nice picture, though.

I thought about doing what I did to the FV101 to the Rooikat instead, so I want to see this. 

A prototype model of Stormpanser SP-1:

LesfNj3.png

Current model is used to figure out internal space, tracks are placeholder, but represents the actual width. The current vehicle is still in development. 

Current idea:

3 man IFV using several parts from the CV90, this includes tracks and engine. It shares the same turret ring diameter and the current model is supposed to be fitted with the Kongsberg MCT-30 unmanned turret modified with SPIKE ATGM launchers. 

Estimated production model specifications:

Mobility:

Scania DSI 16, Deisel 800hp. 40hp/ton

Weight: 20 ton

Transmission: Hybrid electric 

Top speed (both directions): 70km/h

Track width: 500mm

Suspension: Modified CV90 suspension, torsion bar.

Ground clearance: 450mm

Contact length divided by Center center is 1,15. 

Armament:

1 50mm autocannon

1 7,62mm FN MAG co-axle mounted machine gun.

1 Browning 12,7mm heavy machine gun in a RCWS (PROTECTOR RWS)

Protection:

Frontal arc: Resistant to >35mm AP Autocannon fire.

Sides and back: Resistant to small arms fire and shrapnel.

Roof: Resistant to artillery shrapnel.

Belly: Resistant to 10kg blast mines. 

The purpose of this vehicle is to be cheap, light, reliable and highly mobile. I may design a more advanced and radical vehicle later, but for now this design path will do.

A prototype model of Stormpanser SP-1:

LesfNj3.png

Current model is used to figure out internal space, tracks are placeholder, but represents the actual width. The current vehicle is still in development. 

Current idea:

3 man IFV using several parts from the CV90, this includes tracks and engine. It shares the same turret ring diameter and the current model is supposed to be fitted with the Kongsberg MCT-30 unmanned turret modified with SPIKE ATGM launchers. 

Estimated production model specifications:

Mobility:

Scania DSI 16, Deisel 800hp. 40hp/ton

Weight: 20 ton

Transmission: Hybrid electric 

Top speed (both directions): 70km/h

Track width: 500mm

Suspension: Modified CV90 suspension, torsion bar.

Ground clearance: 450mm

Contact length divided by Center center is 1,15. 

Armament:

1 50mm autocannon

1 7,62mm FN MAG co-axle mounted machine gun.

1 Browning 12,7mm heavy machine gun in a RCWS (PROTECTOR RWS)

Protection:

Frontal arc: Resistant to >35mm AP Autocannon fire.

Sides and back: Resistant to small arms fire and shrapnel.

Roof: Resistant to artillery shrapnel.

Belly: Resistant to 10kg blast mines. 

The purpose of this vehicle is to be cheap, light, reliable and highly mobile. I may design a more advanced and radical vehicle later, but for now this design path will do.

Welcome to SH. :)

I have an idea basically combining maybe a widened Rooikat with better frontal aspect penetration (ERA) and the BMP-3 Derivatsiya modular RCWS, but I don't really know enough about tanks to be able to make that detailed a proposal/specification.

I could probably draw a nice picture, though.

Derivatsiya is Kurganets-based SPAAG. "Modular RCWS" is not a thing with Derivatsiya.

Not so surprising spoiler: mine will probably be based on a modified version of the PLA's new light tank (it fits alot fo the requirements already) with some featured taken from current and existing Bradley technology.

Welcome to the forum! Why does it have a German-sounding name?

Thanks for the welcome.

The name "Stormpanser" means something close to "Assault armor" when translated from Norwegian into English.

And:

Germanic languages:

German: Panzer

Swedish: Pansar

Danish: Panser

Norwegian: Panser

"Panser" means armor, armored vehicle ect. "Storm" means here assault or attack.

In Norway, IFVs are designated "Stormpanservogn"

Here's my starter worksheet for you guys, feel free to work off it:

C-130 cargo hold:

length, 40 feet (12.19 m); width, 119 inches (3.02 m); height, 9 

feet (2.74 m). Rear ramp: length, 123 inches (3.12 m); width, 

119 inches (3.02 m)

C-130 maximum payload weight:

20.40 tonnes

---

C-130J cargo hold:

length, 55 feet (16.76 m); width, 119 inches (3.02 m); height, 9 

feet (2.74 m). Rear ramp: length, 123 inches (3.12 m); width, 

119 inches (3.02 m)

C-130J maximum payload weight:

19.96 tonnes

---

"Small" goal:

8.65 tonnes

max 8 meters length, 3 meters width, 2.7 meters height, stowed

"Medium" goal:

17.3 tonnes

max 12 meters length, 3 meters width, 2.7 meters height, stowed

Ok, so my design is going to be 16.7m long, 3m wide, 2.7m tall, and 19.9 tonnes

Thanks for the welcome.

The name "Stormpanser" means something close to "Assault armor" when translated from Norwegian into English.

And:

Germanic languages:

"Panser" means armor, armored vehicle ect. "Storm" means here assault or attack.

And in Icelandic, following the pattern of other Germanic languages, it is called 'skriðdreki'

Thanks for the welcome.

And:

Germanic languages:

Hi Xoon, so you're Norwegian? Excellent, the more the merrier.