Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

My article on the Panther was finally published on Warspot: http://warspot.ru/8537-nemetskie-koshki-pri-dvore-korolya-georga Please upvote it, tia.

Thanks to @Walter_Sobchak since a good half of the materials I used came from him.

Edit: this image was posted in the comments, which I think sums it up:

127947_co-ta-pantera.gif

2233f893-bc39-47cb-8e9f-22c23f9cff4b.jpg

The ADS active protection system has been successfully tested again. This time it was tested against three PG-7VLT rounds fired by a RPG-7 from a distance between 25 and 50 metres, after 9 mm and 7.62 mm bullets were fired against the simulated vehicle in order to demonstrate threat rejection (supposedly the sensors are capable of recognizing and tracking bullets). The test was a full success.

3 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I am going to play devils advocate and say the Pz IV was better.  I do this in part just to irritate Sturgeon who seems to have a hate boner for the Pz IV.  

Well damn, now I'm curious why

EDIT - Referencing Sturgeon's opinion

Edited by Legiondude

2 hours ago, Legiondude said:

Well damn, now I'm curious why

EDIT - Referencing Sturgeon's opinion

The Pz III's turret layout certainly did not lend itself to up-gunning.  The commander's position was centerline, so stuffing in a larger gun would have meant that the loader didn't have enough access to the breech and the gun would have smacked the commander in the balls during recoil.  Pz IV seems to have had more growth potential, but besides the turret design issue I'm not sure why this was.

I would be curious to see suspension bound/rebound figures for both tanks.  In theory the Pz III's independent torsion bar suspension should have given it an edge in cross-country performance, but early torsion bar suspensions all fell far short of the system's potential, so the edge might have been small.  It's noteworthy, I think, that Daimler Benz's next design proposal was initially intended to have leaf springs (the T-34 look-alike).

It's worth noting that early models of the Pz III (Ausf B,C and D) used eight roadwheels and leaf springs.  Unlike the leafspring suspension of the Pz IV, Daimler never got their leaf spring system to work well.  While the leaf spring system of the Pz IV was nothing revolutionary, it was relatively simple and it worked.  Much like the US HVSS suspension, it had the advantage of being completely outside the hull.  The torsion bar suspension of the Pz III was a somewhat more complicated affair to repair, and it relied on shock absorbers on the #1 and #6 road wheel which were known for failing in harsh cold weather conditions.  

The hull of the Panzer IV was of a simpler design than the Panzer III and required less welding, making it quicker to produce.  Also, the Pz IV had overhead hatches for the driver and hull machine gunner, the Pz III did not.  Both vehicles used the same engine, transmission and tracks, so mobility was fairly similar.  Armor protection was fairly similar as well, although comparisons are tricky as both vehicles were up-armored throughout their production run.

The biggest issue though is firepower.  The Pz IV could mount the high velocity 75mm KwK 40 while the Pz III could not.  Even the short barreled 75mm KwK 37 was more useful than the 37mm and short barreled 50mm guns of the Pz III.  

The Pz III and Pz IV were designed at the same time and were contemporary to each other.  Therefore, we can't give the PzIII a "handicap" for being the earlier design.