Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

StuG III Thread (and also other German vehicles I guess)

EnsignExpendable

1 minute ago, Collimatrix said:

Question to napkinwaffe experts, Yuri Pasholok's article on the E-series describes the 75mm L100 cannon as "mythical."  But Guderian's memoirs mention such a weapon en passant.  Does anyone know what the entire provenance of this German jousting cannon is?

It's in Spielberger's book as well, but not much more than "Hitler ordered research into a 75mm L/100". And for some reason a Panther 75mm L/100 is listed in the list of equipment destined for the Eastern Front, but there's no amount listed.

There was a meeting in early January 1943 where Hitler looked at the upcoming panzers for the summer offensives and demanded even more powerful weapons be explored. Thus the 75mm and 88mm L/100's for the Panther and Ferdinand respectively were "born" and died behind Hitler's back basically.

There was a bit of past history to this decision making process to note however: Hitler had ordered the 5cm L/60 be developed and deployed to Panzer III's prior to the invasion of Russia and threw a real fit when his Generals ignored the order thinking the 5cm L/42 was sufficient. He was informed about the reality of the situation on his birthday review of the Panzerwaffe

Pz.Kpfw.38 (t) mit Schwimmkörper. According to the English version of Spielberger's book on the 38 (t) and 35 (t): "During the preparations for Operation 'Sealion'...in 1940, not only diving tanks (Panzer III and IV) but also Panzer II tanks were made amphibious. A similar order was also issued to the Bohemian-Moravian Machine Factory to make the Panzer 38 (t) tank amphibious. The order was carried out, resulting in the so-called Swim Body AP I. Via the side shafts and steering gears, two driveshafts were driven that ran parallel to the tank through the amphibious body to the rear screw propellers. In the water, a top speed of 8 kph was achieved. Series production was not begun."

The PlasTiger (plastic Tiger copy), video in German. Previously from 2013 to 2016 the German tank museum had loaned/borrowed a tank, but the owner took it back in order to restore it to running condition. It was created in several years of work by nine men of the German Army's special branch for decoys, camouflaging and deceiving. The weight of the PlasTiger is 2.7 metric tons.

8 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

18556795_274221273042333_359466010628801

When did Germany figure out proper mass production?  These look like 70s cars so not by then?

I'm not a Porsche expert but those 911s look more like a 1960s vintage (1968ish?).

Also the Krauts and their hair seem more 60s.

I'll have to show this pic to my father-in-law who is a Porsche fan and still owns his 911 that he bought off of some hotshot Porsche race car driver after a particularly good salmon fishing season when prices were good enough to do such a thing.