Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Movie tanks and terrible Vismods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this the thread for bad models in video games, because BF1942 has a sweet 34-85.

I played Super Conflict on the Super Nintendo a ton when I was a kid. Could be pretty frustrating as the computer seemed to cheat (of course...). But while overall it had decent representations, I always wondered if they got the M551 confused with the M60A2.

U3IVTwR.jpg

I played this very ideologically incorrect game in the 90s which I am sure is 100% historically accurate.

Oh man, I played the fuck out of this game when it first came out.

Who ever knew the T-72's turret ring is only 125mm in diameter?!

I just noticed this, but WTF is going on in this picture?  Since when do T-54s have a driver's hatch on the right?

The image isn't flipped either; look at the coax and gunsight apertures. 

It took me a little bit too, but I believe the answer is rather simple.  In the actual driver position, you have a stunt driver doing his thing.  For the position in which Mr. Bond appears, a 'secondary' hatch has been created (enough empty space inside to do so I suppose.)  This way, the actor can focus on acting and appear to the audience as if he were driving, while someone else actually drives the tank for him.

Also of note is that fact that the T-55 tracks have been exchanged for Chieftain ones with rubber pads.  People didn't want to tear up the roads in St. Petersburg apparently.

Another related picture from Goldeneye

goldeneye.jpg

I just noticed this, but WTF is going on in this picture?  Since when do T-54s have a driver's hatch on the right?

The image isn't flipped either; look at the coax and gunsight apertures. 

Also, whatever this is:

nPdk56n.jpg

It couldn't be because the actual driver of that tank was on the right side while Pierce Brosnan was standing up in the other hatch acting like he was driving?

And the movie trivia on Goldeneye says it's a T-55.

It couldn't be because the actual driver of that tank was on the right side while Pierce Brosnan was standing up in the other hatch acting like he was driving?

And the movie trivia on Goldeneye says it's a T-55.

The movie trivia is wrong. The tank used in the movie is owned by a good friend of mine. It is a Vismod Chieftain, which now stands in a field outside his house in the Curragh, Ireland.

I have added a link. I have also been reminded that th3e tank was put up for sale and I would have to check if it is still outside his house.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/fourlive/2011/1111/thetankaccount172.html