Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Deceive the Credulous; Become Fabulously Wealthy

Collimatrix

perfect time for solar roadways  B)

There was an Op-ed in Scientific American, or something around eight years ago where a scientist crunched the numbers and figured that to go 100% solar the US would require about the same surface area of pv panels as it has of roads.  I have wondered if that's where the solar roadways people got the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an incredibly evil scheme currently swimming in my head. 

It involves the exothermic crystallization of certain salts, blankets, and a "Buy one give one" marketing strategy with a sappy Kickstarter campaign. 

Colli, we need to discuss this together. I think you'll enjoy it. 

So are you making a handwarmer on kickstarter?  :lol:

Is it a reusable handwarmer in nice fabric?  ;)

The fabric doesn't even have to be nice to run a successful Kickstarter campaign. 

"For every electric-less, super green, eco-friendly heated blanket you purchase, we'll donate one to the shivering, cold, dieing homeless population/child-in-need-of-the-week.

With your help, we can achieve our dream of never letting another person die in the cold ever again ever ever ever."

I'll run the calculations later on the right salt combination to obtain around 80 degrees for 5 or so hours. The rest is creating the holding part and a washable cover. 

The fabric doesn't even have to be nice to run a successful Kickstarter campaign. 

"For every electric-less, super green, eco-friendly heated blanket you purchase, we'll donate one to the shivering, cold, dieing homeless population/child-in-need-of-the-week.

With your help, we can achieve our dream of never letting another person die in the cold ever again ever ever ever."

I'll run the calculations later on the right salt combination to obtain around 80 degrees for 5 or so hours. The rest is creating the holding part and a washable cover. 

Don't forget about natural salt and biodegradable cotton

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

It seems rather similar to landing on the angled flight deck of an aircraft carrier.

That's not really a glowing recommendation; carrier aviation is for crazy hardasses.

Except it seems you have to be even more precise than a carrier landing except you are doing it with large passenger planes.

15 hours ago, ShamefurDispray said:

Except it seems you have to be even more precise than a carrier landing except you are doing it with large passenger planes.

More precise how?

I'm not sure that the idea of landing off-axis is totally untenable.  With a large enough circle it's pretty close to straight.  A fair number of aircraft are already designed with landing gear that pivots so they can align the wheels with the runway and align the fuselage with the wind.

Of course, the reason that they do that is to deal with crosswinds, so that sort of obviates this weird circular runway.

What does strike me as untenable about this idea is the idea of constantly re-orienting the air traffic around the runway depending on which direction the wind happens to be blowing.

4 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

What does strike me as untenable about this idea is the idea of constantly re-orienting the air traffic around the runway depending on which direction the wind happens to be blowing.

Think of all the wake turbulence. A single A380 taking off/landing and ¾ of the airport is closed for a bit.