Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Get Away, Damnit. (The Camping Thread)

• 3 weeks later...

Somewhat related to this thread, Bass Pro Shop has bought out rival Cabela's for $5.5 Billion.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/03/news/companies/bass-pro-shops-cabelas/

I've never been that great a fan of Cabela's with their prices being more than my local outdoor warehouse chain.

My (Still living) Grandfather was actually good friends with Dick Cabela before he died a couple years ago and is one of the few people who's been inside his house (which he flat out refused to show to several high profile housing magazines and tv shows.)

And he still is friends with his brother Jim who was the co founder (who....may not be in the greatest of health himself, though whenever I ask about this he doesn't really say anything on it) and Thomas Millner (Who funnily enough, really isn't an outdoorsman.)

He's pretty saddened by the news, but, at the end of the day, money talks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Too cold to camp, but hiking is fine. If you an avoid slipping on ice. 

Myself and the lady decided to hike up Horsetooth Mountain on Monday. Five miles round trip, but great views and good climbing. 

Also, my dog actually caught and consumed a pika. Which surprised the hell out of me. Those things are fast

15826075_10211223957610706_8613090021305

15780671_10211223954250622_6257880889956

15777082_10211642080077370_565282846597315776976_10211642080877390_479002117342215800576_10211642080917391_1400016961995

• 3 weeks later...

That has got to be the most exaggerated video and description I have ever seen of moto camping. Holy shit. 

300 miles in 84 hours? I did that once, but on a bicycle. 

And without a support crew either. And after that initial 300 miles, I was out of Canada and rode my way to Mexico. 

So those fucking girlscouts and their fancy enduro bikes and ass-slapping campside games and bail-out truck can kiss my very sore ass. 

uaZmAuu.jpg

LA1omZP.jpg

55Uz3OM.jpg

tP5vJxT.jpg

This is the most pathetic video I've ever seen. I've been on tougher camping trips as a literal child.

Me too.

I love hipsters. They're like hippies, except they fully embrace capitalism while pretending to reject it. This results in hilarious behavior, like pretending to reject or critique capitalist society while actually advertising to the audience. This video is a great example of the highest form of that, where the critique and the philosophy is the ad itself, existing for no purpose other than to sell a product.

• 2 months later...
On 8/29/2016 at 9:49 AM, Toxn said:

My brother surprised me with a gift over the weekend:

cKBFi7d.jpg

It's an old scout knife that he found and restored. He re-attached the blade to the handle assembly, put in brass shims, added an aluminium piece to replace the front spacer/guard thingy, and made new grips out of ironwood.

I had a go at sharpening the blade - it's usable now, but not particularly amazing.

Edit: this is pretty much what the knife originally looked like

pfVYGyN.jpg

So I finally got around to making a sheath for it.

D6leGgF.jpg

Q25CPNO.jpg

Cl9w9zm.jpg

The actual sheath is made from two pieces of kiaat, with aluminium strapping held in place by clear epoxy and pinned using rivet heads. The strapping includes a belt loop.

The knife is pretty carefully fitted into place, so I'm not sure if a retaining strap is even needed at this point. If it becomes loose I'll make a plan in that department.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 7:38 PM, EnsignExpendable said:

This is the most pathetic video I've ever seen. I've been on tougher camping trips as a literal child.

I'm gonna come back to this video. 

If we can remember, it was a video of about twenty guys on motorcycles riding a few miles a day and then having somebody else set up camp for them so they can toss back IPAs and talk about their feelings. 

Outside Online recently posted a video on bikepacking through Utah, and the video is VERY good quality. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2181741/bikepacking-through-utahs-backcountry

That is getting out on two wheels. I think this was done with a drone and a camera man, but it is still very real and a very cool piece.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As you all know, I am Norwegian. And I think we do camping a bit different from the average person from the US.

Here in Norway we have the allemannsretten law, which in simplified terms means anyone can go anywhere. No need to concern about private property when hiking. 
So how most Norwegians hike, is by driving/walking to the foot of the mountain/area they wish to hike and then traveling to your destination. We have no designated camping spots in the same manner as in the US. So you have to find a good spot yourself. We also lack prepared trails usually, unless it is heavily used.  We can also chop down trees and vegetation to make a campsite or a fire, as long as you don't leave a big scar. 
Campfire rules are simple, don't light them between the specified months, except in mountainous terrain or besides lakes/oceans.  And also try and stay at least 200m from trails or cabins. 

I have friends in the US that laughed at me about how much equipment I usually carried while camping, saying you could just sleep on the hood. 
I find it hard however to get a truck up here:

eOAusE3.jpg

What you see here is heavy fog obscuring a steep drop into a river, probably a 50m fall. We have a use a set of chains bolted into the cliff face to get past this area.

Here is good view of the valley further up when the fog is gone:
8iBfOWG.jpg

The weather was kinda meh this day, demonstrated by my friend:
3GMEt6H.jpg

For those that wonder, we went to a place called Molladalen, very beautiful place. You ascend about 800m I believe, so a easy trip. 

I sometimes go hiking in the mountains when I am bored, usually I don't need more than a jacket or a par of sunglasses if the weather is not shitty. 
PczJHAH.jpg

Anyone interested in winter hiking? It is by far my favorite:
yWjdGGw.jpg

I love it, well as long as I remember to check my hands and feet once in awhile, almost lost my hand once. 

• 1 month later...

"We can't eat this , it still has bones"...

"This fish is not dead!"

"You can't eat crawdads!"

"How can you make a fire without matches or a lighter, silly!?"

"I can't believe you did not sleep without a tent! Where did you hide it!?"

"Two  bottles of Listerine, are you going to wash your mouth that much!~"

And this, is why I hate camping with relatives.

25 minutes ago, Meplat said:

"We can't eat this , it still has bones"...

"This fish is not dead!"

"You can't eat crawdads!"

"How can you make a fire without matches or a lighter, silly!?"

"I can't believe you did not sleep without a tent! Where did you hide it!?"

"Two  bottles of Listerine, are you going to wash your mouth that much!~"

And this, is why I hate camping with relatives.

"I understand bringing the Enfield, but was the 1907 pattern bayonet necessary?"

"You really need a surplus flamethrower to defoliate the camp site?"

"Is bringing an AAVP-7A1 to this park and the boating docks even legal?"

"Why are you pointing the pre B CZ75 at ME!?"