Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

The al-Nasser Salah al-Deen Brigades (Arabicألوية الناصر صلاح الدين‎) is the military wing of the Popular Resistance Committees, a set of various Palestinian militant organizations which operate in the Gaza Strip.

These brigades participated in the Operation Dispersive Illusion (Arabicالوهم المتبدد‎), which resulted in the capture of the Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit. The group is also known for blowing up the Merkava tank,[citation needed] the main battle tank of the Israel Defense Forces.

Hahahahah, that makes it sound as if the Merkava were some kind of giant robot, or the Death Star or something. THEY BLEW UP THE MERKAVA... *dramatic salute*

So, I've mentioned the QBS-09 before, which is a Chinese 12 gauge shotgun known for using high pressure metallic cases loaded with tungsten alloy shot and tightly choked for improved range and armor penetration, well, supposedly there's a magazine fed variant of it, I'm not quite sure of who, if anyone uses it or even if it exists as it appears, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

6N5SNPg.jpg

So, I've mentioned the QBS-09 before, which is a Chinese 12 gauge shotgun known for using high pressure metallic cases loaded with tungsten alloy shot and tightly choked for improved range and armor penetration, well, supposedly there's a magazine fed variant of it, I'm not quite sure of who, if anyone uses it or even if it exists as it appears, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

6N5SNPg.jpg

Expecting they'll come to the same conclusion as the early scattergun tests of Project SALVO, and apply the resultant technology to sporting arms to recoup costs.

It's not impossible, but incredibly difficult to own a firearm legally in the PRC, doubt that in particular would be seen with civilians there.

So yeah, it would be police market or export if the military doesn't accept it.

It's not impossible, but incredibly difficult to own a firearm legally in the PRC, doubt that in particular would be seen with civilians there.

So yeah, it would be police market or export if the military doesn't accept it.

My father ran a factory in Dalian from 1993-1998 and when the local party people found out he like to shoot in the United States they provided him with a shotgun, kept locked up in the shooting club, and he was presented a pistol that was quite gaudy and which they had no problems with him keeping loaded about his apartment.  This compared well with his factory in Xaodong where the police "chief" charged him a breathing tax, or the amount of money which would keep him and his senior staff from being arrested and beaten each month, or Shing Xa where they always tried to provide him with female companionship.

I am not sure if this was a reflection of the era right at the start of the Chinese resurgence - but my father loved his Chinese made double barrel shotgun, but thought the little .30 cal pistol was a gold plated hunk of crap.  He never tried the female companionship as far as I know.

Not gonna lie, I actually did take on some female companionship while in China, though unlike people who go there specifically for whoring, it was more incidental and I never had to pay, just talk to women interested in me at bars and clubs really and eventually.... it went places.

Edit: this was before I was married and met my wife, who ironically I actually met back in the USA, her parents being immigrants from Shanghai and Guangzhou respectively.

I spent most of my wayward youth hitch hiking in Mexico.  During the inflation of 1984-85 it was cheap, not excessively dangerous, and a lot of fun.  But I never could bring myself to mess around - the image of ugly American was too deeply impressed in my mind.  At the time I was a director and could take the time, 2 months or so at a shot, to simply stay in youth hostels.  I think on all five of my big trips I met with one or more people and travelled with them - most are still friends, but I never went near the tourist areas and thus was also never in the areas where one could purchase entertainment, and Mexicans in the country side are very conservative even if they are very generous to travelers.  

My visits to the Philippines, China, Japan, and Korea were likewise sedate.  I got to interview a Geisha and they walked me through the entire Geisha routine, but that was for work.  

I got in way more trouble in France.  I will go to my grave never again telling the story of hiding in a recycle bin from Gendarmes after showing too much interest in a ship in Bayonne harbor.

Is there a major market for civilian firearms inside the PRC (would be surprised)? Or would any hypothetical civilian version be strictly for export?

I would guess export, Canada I know is still letting Chinese arms into their market including the semi auto M14 and M16 clones.

If sanity ever returned to the 'states, I'd see a magazine fed shotgun capable of easily handling 3.5" shells easily having a market.

I would guess export, Canada I know is still letting Chinese arms into their market including the semi auto M14 and M16 clones.

If sanity ever returned to the 'states, I'd see a magazine fed shotgun capable of easily handling 3.5" shells easily having a market.

Pretty sure the shells are actually 3" length, they're just capable of much higher pressure as the shells for it are made of a particularly tough brass alloy as opposed to plastic. (though it can still fire standard shells)

standard tube fed variant to demonstrate.

2V2vIXE.jpg

QBS09-4.jpg

Note the reason the charging handle is so large is because it's also designed to fire riot control/less lethal ammuntion aswell, however due to the significantly lower pressure these generate, this requires the weapon to be manually cycled after each shot when doing so.

Pretty sure the shells are actually 3" length, they're just capable of much higher pressure as the shells for it are made of a particularly tough brass alloy as opposed to plastic. (though it can still fire standard shells)

standard tube fed variant to demonstrate.

2V2vIXE.jpg

QBS09-4.jpg

Note the reason the charging handle is so large is because it's also designed to fire riot control/less lethal ammuntion aswell, however due to the significantly lower pressure these generate, this requires the weapon to be manually cycled after each shot when doing so.

Right, now imagine a slight redesign to chamber and fire the current U.S. 3.5" magnum shotshells.

The thing would probably sell well to turkey hunters, and deer hunters in areas where rifles are not allowed.

Or to make things a bit simpler, would there be any reason the ATF would feasibly disallow a brass based shotshell?

If so, yeah, I like the 3.5" idea.

No, just looking at what would make it marketable in the U.S..

You can still buy all brass/metallic shotshells. I have a bunch of U.S. issue all aluminum shells for the M6 survival carbine, and have seen all brass black powder casings offered for reloaders.

Looks like they're steel or aluminum, not brass shells.

Every source I've seen, despite some indeciveness, says that they're brass with 14 tungsten alloy pellets within and I haven't seen anything to indicate they're anything else, at least in that regard, but then again I haven't got alot of consistent info on the loadings.

Some say the shot size is anywhere from 5.3mm to 6.1mm (#4 shot), the reason for the relatively small shot choice being recoil reduction and the ability to fit more shot per shell for better hit chance, and I've seen muzzle velocity ranges as wide as 1,380 fps to 1,500 fps, supposedly there's other loads like dart shot which could explain some of the inconsistent data on hand. But I guess since some data doesn't line up, others may not aswell.