Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

I have now bought hard copies of all his books I "early adopted" heh...

But I really do buy the hard copies to support authors who do good work... Or sometimes I just PayPal them donations. If your book sucks though I can become a little vocal about it's suckery 

I still desperately need a copy of Peter Stiff's Taming the landmine...

I probably butchered his name there but I am on pain meds tonight lol.

I'd love even a poor scan or digital copy or buy a copy if any of you own one.

I have just got a big chunk of cash dropped in my lap last week and I'm taking the opportunity to buy at least $500 in books for my collection.

Speaking of which, can you guys recommend specific Brassey's design books on firearms or etc?

I also went a bit crazy building an epic shopping cart at both German manuals website that sells all manner of translated manuals  in languages I don't speak! (Makarov and AK tool manual woohoo!)

I actually have voluntarily instituted my own internet impulse buy cooling off period program because of such lists lol... 

If I reopen the tab in 3 days and no longer need it like AIR... I remove it from cart lol.

I also bought a new phone today to bring on my road trip to Wyoming with my brother this summer.

I am proud of this rationalization too... I "needed" a spare digital camera for the trip, and this one coincidentally has a phone attached to the camera....

*shrug*

TBF it's a 20 megapixel kinda plenoptic camera though which is a massive upgrade and should help me make passable photos etc of the museum guns. 

18700438_10154285796771191_6620503484805

Chief Master Sgt. Jammie Space, a 36th Security Forces Squadron security forces manager, fires an M870 Modular Combat Shotgun during the leadership competition shoot off May 18, 2017. (U.S. Air Force photo/Airman 1st Class Christopher Quail)

On 5/27/2017 at 10:49 AM, Ramlaen said:

Probably redundant for the folks here but a convenient video to throw at people you might need to explain the subject to.

Less than 5 minutes in and he has made three major fundamental errors already. Here are my notes:

The chief engineer behind the AR-15 and AR-10 was Eugene Stoner - Nope, Stoner was only responsible for the AR-10. The AR-15 was developed by Arthur Miller and Jim Sullivan

Springfield Armory - "Steel and Wood is what makes a true fighting rifle" WRONG. SA was definitely looking into aluminum and polymer - in fact the T25 rifle of 1951, a product of the Armory, was constructed partially of aluminum.

Full power rifle cartridges were the order of the day - well, that was the standard, but remember that the Hall report was commissioned by none other than Colonel Studler himself, and the SPIW program was run via Springfield Armory. So, this matter is much more complicated than it first seems.

So, I am not going to watch the rest of the video. And I recommend everyone else give it a pass, as well.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Less than 5 minutes in and he has made three major fundamental errors already. Here are my notes:

So, I am not going to watch the rest of the video. And I recommend everyone else give it a pass, as well.

That is disappointing but not unexpected.

3 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

That is disappointing but not unexpected.

I don't know why, but it doesn't seem like there's anybody who can sit down in front of a monitor and work out a correct history of, well, anything firearms-related. Even Chris Bartocci's histories of the M16 and L85 have serious and fundamental factual issues (I think he even calls the L85 a derivative of the EM-2!).

Interesting article about a compensator for the Mauser C96 allegedly used by French policemen in Shanghai (in Russian) http://gunsforum.com/topic/1647-shanhayskiy-mauzer/

The compensator didn't really improve the precision of fire. Ulanov theorizes that it could be a fake planted by some guys who wanted a payoff or a personally tuned device that didn't really help anyone else or could even hinder them.

Weaponized Husky!

18767798_1236802439782879_49602539718850

“Muklug”, one of the Siberian Huskies being trained to carry machine guns at the Chinook Kennels at Wonalancet, New Hampshire, in case of a Japanese invasion of Alaska; 1942”

Colour by Ana-Maria Bujor - WWII Colorized photos.