Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

Max Popenker has a riddle for you:

690890_original.jpg

691081_original.jpg

"In 1975, the Yankees shit the bed on machineguns again, and suggested to the military that, dead or alive, steal us something functional from the Russians that isn't the garbage that is the M219. They seriously analyzed the PKT, considering standardizing it for NATO, but then they were saved by the Belgians from FN with the MAG."

40 minutes ago, Meplat said:

Kind of resembles the H&K UMP.

I actually got the lowdown on it about a week ago from Akula.

It's not a weapon intended for the military but rather (what appears to be) the front runner for a winning model for a new weapon for SWAT/PAP units that's been going on a few months now.

I guess even their SMGs/PDWs are going from bullpup to conventional. *shrug*

Their main 9x19mm designation is also DAP92 like the 5.8x21, incase you're wondering whether or not this is confusing, it is!

jAzOQNK.jpg

They also have wide, flat Meplat (!) bullets used for....reasons, (I know that flat noses penetrater better in certain materials like flesh and do a bit more damage than round nose due to crushing flesh as opposed to just pushing it aside, but it looks so awkward in 9mm because I'm so used to seeing round nosed) aswell as some pictures of pretty generic hollow points I found that I don't know much about.

ObpYn7H.jpg

I'm not sure which of the 2 exactly but, one is loaded really hot with a hard steel core that performs really well in SMGs.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

"Gun rights advocates have long opposed smart guns, seeing them as a Trojan Horse to regulate traditional firearms."

That is because they literally are.

I thought we all agreed that the idea might have merit once the police started using it?

Because I'd be pretty jazzed to have a firearm that my kid couldn't shoot himself/someone else with.

13 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Read the hyperlink.

I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm sure that there is a push to use smart guns as a way to stealthily implement gun control in the US.

I'd just personally like the technology to happen so that I can contemplate buying a sword without the attendent thoughts of seeing my loved ones and myself die upon it. I'd similarly like someone to develop a robust and foolproof technology for bricking stolen electronics so that there is less value in stealing them. Something which renders my car useless to thieves would also be nice.

My understanding was that the technology itself could be considered mature when the cops start using it regularly, and that that point should be where other debates start.

7 minutes ago, Toxn said:

I'm not disagreeing with you - I'm sure that there is a push to use smart guns as a way to stealthily implement gun control in the US.

I'd just personally like the technology to happen so that I can contemplate buying a sword without the attendent thoughts of seeing my loved ones and myself die upon it. I'd similarly like someone to develop a robust and foolproof technology for bricking stolen electronics so that there is less value in stealing them. Something which renders my car useless to thieves would also be nice.

My understanding was that the technology itself could be considered mature when the cops start using it regularly, and that that point should be where other debates start.

I don't have a problem with the technology, but the gun control side has turned it into a trojan horse for regulations.

9 hours ago, Toxn said:

I thought we all agreed that the idea might have merit once the police started using it?

Because I'd be pretty jazzed to have a firearm that my kid couldn't shoot himself/someone else with.

Agreed; when a reasonably independent group of individuals starts using the technology on their own initiative, that will be a good sign that it is mature.

But there will be plenty of other tells; long before there are biometric-locked handguns there will be all sorts of reliable and cheap biometric-locked safes, smartphones and maybe cars and houses as well.

On 7/21/2017 at 6:45 PM, Ramlaen said:

Hmm, its an AR with an AUG scope.

Hmm, its a piston AR with an AUG scope.

Hmm, its a monolithic upper piston AR with an AUG scope.

Hmm, its fucking hideous.

On 7/21/2017 at 0:57 PM, Zyklon said:

STM-556 made by Steyr-Mannlicher.

This gun is one that may be replacing the G36 in the future, the german version however is made in cooperation with Rheinmetall and is called RS-556.

I scrutinized this one a little bit earlier.  Still no solid answers.