Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

42 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Agreed; when a reasonably independent group of individuals starts using the technology on their own initiative, that will be a good sign that it is mature.

But there will be plenty of other tells; long before there are biometric-locked handguns there will be all sorts of reliable and cheap biometric-locked safes, smartphones and maybe cars and houses as well.

I scrutinized this one a little bit earlier.  Still no solid answers.

One of my sources believes H&K's odds on the competition are not good, and that Steyr has a very strong offering.

We will see.

We're (Canada) buying a bunch more GPMGs from Colt Canada, apparently. Sounds like it's just replacing old, worn out ones.  Upgraded polymer stock, and some sort of rail interface added to them.

http://www.janes.com/article/72659/canada-buying-new-7-62-mm-general-purpose-machine-guns

screen-shot-2017-07-26-at-10-45-56-am.pn

Found a image at the Ottawa Citizen.

On 7/26/2017 at 6:03 PM, Khand-e said:

They also have wide, flat Meplat (!) bullets used for....reasons, (I know that flat noses penetrater better in certain materials like flesh and do a bit more damage than round nose due to crushing flesh as opposed to just pushing it aside, but it looks so awkward in 9mm because I'm so used to seeing round nosed) aswell as some pictures of pretty generic hollow points I found that I don't know much about.

ObpYn7H.jpg

I'm not sure which of the 2 exactly but, one is loaded really hot with a hard steel core that performs really well in SMGs.

That photo appears to show the .38 S&W (9x20mmR).  Note the large rim. 

@D.E. Watters I've actually seen the 9x20mm revolver rounds in person when visiting China that your typical beat cops use, keep in mind this was quite a few years ago but at the time, they were loaded with round nosed, unjacketed HPs. or rubber less lethal rounds.

I guess It's possible they changed it since then for whatever reason to be fair though.

Edit: also it turns out DAP92 is the hot loading, I guess it's not really surprising since that's SWAT/PAP/Military issue though.

18 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Agreed; when a reasonably independent group of individuals starts using the technology on their own initiative, that will be a good sign that it is mature.

But there will be plenty of other tells; long before there are biometric-locked handguns there will be all sorts of reliable and cheap biometric-locked safes, smartphones and maybe cars and houses as well.

What about orwellian biometric access controls?

10 hours ago, Khand-e said:

@D.E. Watters I've actually seen the 9x20mm revolver rounds in person when visiting China that your typical beat cops use, keep in mind this was quite a few years ago but at the time, they were loaded with round nosed, unjacketed HPs. or rubber less lethal rounds.

I guess It's possible they changed it since then for whatever reason to be fair though.

Many moons ago, TFB showed a police loading with a jacketed flat-nose projectile.  The sectioned view revealed that it was a knockoff of the Federal EFMJ / Guard Dog design.

22 minutes ago, D.E. Watters said:

Many moons ago, TFB showed a police loading with a jacketed flat-nose projectile.  The sectioned view revealed that it was a knockoff of the Federal EFMJ / Guard Dog design.

They could've at least picked a good round to use. =/

Oddly enough, I can think of a fairly recent police incident that may have lead to such a design being adopted, but if this was a while ago then the time table doesn't fit.

LOL...

I've apparently injured some behymens seriously with my comments about Glock today on TFB Poor Notruescotsman his behymen hurts...

I was totally willing to leave my initial comment as a standalone comment figuring that even if people didn't like it they couldn't possibly be stupid enough to actually believe i was wrong...

Boy was i surprised LOL

No please do tell me why my statement/comparison is completely unreasonable and obviously completely outside reality as we know it...

It's not like it's EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION to such an asininely hilarious degree that it's almost disturbing or anything...

Wait, yeah that's exactly what it is!

And thus the seed of an idea that would germinate into the ares / fight light / refunds are things honest businesses do silly arfcom group buy dickheads SCR was planted....

If there was any true semblance of the rule of law in this country or ATF stood for something besides always take their firearms, that asshole would have an asshole big enough to smuggle an entire snap on 3/4" drive socket set in both SAE & Metric simultaneously from all the seed bubba the 7 foot cellie planted deep nightly for his entire 15 year bid!

... And the fight lite guy's pretty bad too!

3 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

I'm pretty sure that this hack job was done by a student of the Trinidad Junior State College gunsmithing program.

Why?

Because down in Trinidad, they specialize in mutilating Johnsons:

R9kqZ8Z.jpg

Seriously I'm all about making me some crazy inbred swamp people measure once clamp bare aluminum in my bench vise monstrosities here and there, but that's what jack squats flat spot is for god damnit! 

I hate it when people just go hey wtf why fucking not destroy a rare and beautiful historical firearm that sired a legendary line for no discernable reason since starting with someone's already fucked up lr308 magnum opus you got for $200 and a promise it would never come back through the shop's front door EVER AGAIN wouldn't be any fun!

5 hours ago, roguetechie said:

Seriously I'm all about making me some crazy inbred swamp people measure once clamp bare aluminum in my bench vise monstrosities here and there, but that's what jack squats flat spot is for god damnit! 

I hate it when people just go hey wtf why fucking not destroy a rare and beautiful historical firearm that sired a legendary line for no discernable reason since starting with someone's already fucked up lr308 magnum opus you got for $200 and a promise it would never come back through the shop's front door EVER AGAIN wouldn't be any fun!

Because for the most part, the '41 Johnson (and other U.S arms) are only scarce here because of absurd and idiotic import laws.

4 hours ago, Meplat said:

Because for the most part, the '41 Johnson (and other U.S arms) are only scarce here because of absurd and idiotic import laws.

It's ok... The boomer die offs will start really picking up in the next few years resulting in not only a shit ton of churn as collections disaggregate and spread to the 4 winds.

What's even better, is those greedy asshole boomers completely fucked over their own kids and everyone else so hard economically that when they die their brokeass kids, now saddled with ma and pa boomers death debts etc and needing cash quick will result in a 

"Market correction" back to some resemblance of sanity as well as actually put historical guns in appreciative loving hands rather than some fat fuck shitbird basement boomer dragon horde.