Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

17 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

This thread on Arfcom is interesting.  Some of the modifications that HK made to the barrel extension of the M27 to improve its reliability in the OTB testing mean that it doesn't get along as well with the new EPM and M855A1.

Yup, this is well know. It's why the introduction of the PMag in Marine service was delayed for so long, actually. (You see, the PMag pretty much fixes this problem, which means the USMC loses one of it's primary excuses not to adopt M855A1...)

The thread also answers one of my longstanding questions about the HK 416: exactly what did they do to make it work when it's filled with water?

It's looking like there are three main differences between the design of the HK 416 that allow it to survive the rigors of the tactical koi pond:

1)  The rear portion of the firing chamber is less chamfered in order to provide additional support to the case head.

2)  There is a stud inside the barrel extension that holds the extractor down, to prevent it from blowing out.

3)  There is a drain hole in the receiver extension to let water out.

But I still have questions.  If the stud in the barrel extension holds the extractor down, why doesn't the extractor blow out of the Colt M4 in the OTB test?  

14 hours ago, Ulric said:

So, I remembered why CZ decided to stake in the pins and screws that hold together a fair number of components in the SP-01 Tactical. They really don't want you taking them out, because getting them back in requires a gunsmith. Fortunately for me, I am a gunsmith, so getting it back together was not really an issue. I did have to use the rare "double slave pin" trick to get the FCG back into position, though. I almost forgot how fiddly they are internally. But, after carrying that gun for eight years, it was overdo for a detailed strip.

On a related note, I discovered that CZ will sell most parts al la carte on their website. They even have a handy exploded diagram with links to each part that you can purchase separately. This was very valuable because I have a spare stripped CZ 75 frame laying around that I picked up back when I was in gunsmithing school.

Last time my 75 came that far apart was when I swapped the sear and hammer. But yeah you can buy damned near any part for them for pretty cheap.

Lobaev's semiauto sniper rifle in .338 LM (Lapua Magnum) and .408 Cheytac

Link to the short shitty video

NlNUAiUXaeQ.jpg

"Now we are preparing for release a new rifle - high-precision long-range semiautomatic rifles in calibres .338 LM (Lapua Magnum) and .408 Cheytac. Similar weapons we developed in the Emirates, we managed to achieve the desired accuracy, but there were problems with reliability, - says Lobaev. - Now we managed to solve them. The Barrett rifles in the similar calibers give about two minutes and confidently hit the target at distances up to 1600 meters, maximum up to 1800. And we brought the accuracy to half of the MOA for the .408 cartridges and ensured a reliable defeat of the target at distances of two kilometers. Believe me, it's very, very difficult to make a half-minute two-kilometer self-loading rifle. "

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/03/29/russian-sf-palmyra-highlighted/

Oh my god this article...

According to sources, the SF soldiers pictured aren’t the famed Spetsnaz, but instead are of the SSO, another contingent of special operations forces organized very similar to Spetsnaz units.

This guy doesn't know what Spetsnaz is.... Delta force and SAS, Navy Seals are all "Spetsnaz". SSO IS A SPETSNAZ.

these SF troops are probably a Tier Two or even Tier Three level SF asset. 

Tier Putin level of assets deployed according to tactical order of tactical battle plan of Shoigy to prevent Syrian assets from becoming non-assets because of direct action of Turkish tactical assets in AO and other ME actors inderect force multipliers.

One trend that looks to be evolving is the usage of suppressors on the issue 5.45x39mm Kalashnikov AK74Ms and precision rifles but also on the RPK74 Light Machine Guns also in use.

I thought that suppressors were world-wide trend (or big part of SF forces trend), not just "TEIR ONE NOT_SPETSNAZ_ASSETS" thing.

Another trend that is interesting is the dependence on U.S. or European equipment as opposed to Russian designed material.

A lot of gear are russian-made by different companies.

This does bring into question the quality of said equipment.

Quality is always a question with any company - they are called "requirements". 

A prime example is of some of the EOTechs in use. Simply because it looks like an EOTech from afar, doesn’t mean it is one

Those are EOTechs, as no Russian clone of those sights is known to public/gun-nuts comminuties.

This soldier is particularly interesting because he has wrapped an attachment that usually goes around a rifle’s buttstock to hold spare ammunition around his left shoulder. Although innovative and I’m sure making the rounds easier to access, I question his ballistic knowledge. It is commonly known within Marine Corps Scout Sniper communities to never expose your ammunition to direct sunlight because this will raise the temperature of the case and the gunpowder inside of it. Raising the temperature will change the trajectory of the rounds when fired. Because the rounds are now much hotter than when you zeroed the rifle. It could change the trajectory enough for a shooter to miss his target completely at long range.

This is PR shot, it is unknown where and how he actually "deploy his sniper assets".

4 hours ago, Donward said:

I didn't even need to read the byline to know that Miles used the term Tier 2 and Tier 3 operator in an unironic manner. But then again he intentionally mispronounces Iraq and Afghanistan as an affectation.

I think that is a byproduct of the Pushtu language classes he is taking.  His classmates are rubbing off on him.

13 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Watching Syrian war footage with @RobotMinisterofTrueKorea, and found this gem:

All sorts of rare stuff in it.

At 0:35 is a Yugoslavian-made M79 Osa.

At 0:47 is a Chinese-made Type 77 or Type 85

At 1:18 is a Romanian-made PSL

At 4:03 is an AGS-17 of unknown make.

Osa are not rare in Syria, islamists got plenty of those. AGS-17 is not a rare weapon by any means as well.

Shooting down drones with an anti-materiel rifle because Islamic State.

C8UQBtFXcAEp5bg.jpg

C8UQIhbXoAAbhgj.jpg

C8UQJ72XsAAYKB9.jpg

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

If it's not an AK, PKM, DShK, RPG-7 or KPV I say it's rare.

I do wonder if the AGS-17 is the Yugoslavian-made version.  Quite a few Yugoslavian weapons seem to find their way to Syria.

Well it's hard to control where your old weapons go after your nation falls into civil war and splinters into several smaller ones at the end.

Also, the machine gun is a Type 77, The muzzle brake is a dead giveaway.

Major General Bob Scales does not understand how the HK416, M27, or virtually any other modern military gas operated rifle works:

The M27 that the Marine Corps currently uses for the IAR, is “hands down, the best automatic rifle in the world,” said retired Army Maj. Gen. Robert Scales, author of the 2016 book “Scales on War: The Future of America’s Military at Risk.” 

“It outclasses the M4 in every single category,” said Scales, who is not affiliated with Heckler & Koch. 

“The key category is reliability — particularly in dusty, sandy, muddy terrain. The HK has a solid rod system, like the AK-47.” 

The M27, sold to civilians and overseas as the HK 416, uses a piston to control the function of the bolt, and that eliminates problems with gas-tube operating systems used in the M4 ­carbines and M16 rifles, according to the company’s website. 

“If you have a solid rod, then the action can literally blow through things that would normally slow down a bolt action, because you’ve got more mass,” Scales said in a March 27 interview. 

“Whereas, the M4 has a floating bolt that’s not attached to the rod. The gas goes down a long, thin tube — and the gas itself blows against another tube on top of the bolt, which throws the bolt back instead of carrying the bolt back.” 

On 4/2/2017 at 10:57 AM, Sturgeon said:

Aside from all the other massive technical and mechanical shit he got wrong in that post, gotta love how this goes against everything he said a few months ago regarding the AR-15 in his previous dumb rant.

"Ar-15 = Was terrible then and is now, jamomatic rifle that shoots wimpy varmint hunting cartridge! oh, but the M27 is THE BEST AUTOMATIC RIFUL EVER BECAUSE IT'S H&K AND THEY FLAT OUT COPIED THE AR-15 AND SLAPPED A GAS PISTON ON IT, SO MUCH BETTERERER AND ORIGINALERER!"

We may have to add Scales to the reformist demagogue index at some point.