Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Small Arms Thread, Part 8: 2018; ICSR to be replaced by US Army with interim 15mm Revolver Cannon.

Khand-e

On 5/11/2017 at 6:56 PM, Sturgeon said:

"For Staff Sgt. Troy Hauck, a platoon sergeant with Bravo Company's Weapons Platoon, not having to worry about ear protection when firing his rifle is a nice bonus."

I hope this is the author inserting some derp and not how the soldiers are being trained.

LoooSer'd.

Speaking of the L85, Ian has been doing a series:

I'm not sure where he got the idea that the XL-60 series have a rectangular receiver and the XL-70 series have a trapezoidal one.  According to the diagrams in Steve Raw's book, the XL-64 have an asymmetrical, somewhat rounded receiver cross-section while the production SA-80 has a rectilinear receiver cross-section.

In fact, one of the biggest mysteries of the SA-80 program is how the design got from the XL-64 to the XL-70.  A lot of the design elements change, seemingly overnight and with no intermediate steps.  The receiver goes from the irregular, oblong shape to the square shape.  The handguard goes from having a clamshell left and right half to an upper piece and a bottom piece.  The bolt carrier goes from riding on a pair of guide rods that also house the return springs (basically an exact clone of the AR-18) to having two guide rods and a third rod that supports the return spring.  All of these changes occurred at once.  Also, none of them fixed the problems.

3 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

LoooSer'd.

Speaking of the L85, Ian has been doing a series:

I'm not sure where he got the idea that the XL-60 series have a rectangular receiver and the XL-70 series have a trapezoidal one.  According to the diagrams in Steve Raw's book, the XL-64 have an asymmetrical, somewhat rounded receiver cross-section while the production SA-80 has a rectilinear receiver cross-section.

In fact, one of the biggest mysteries of the SA-80 program is how the design got from the XL-64 to the XL-70.  A lot of the design elements change, seemingly overnight and with no intermediate steps.  The receiver goes from the irregular, oblong shape to the square shape.  The handguard goes from having a clamshell left and right half to an upper piece and a bottom piece.  The bolt carrier goes from riding on a pair of guide rods that also house the return springs (basically an exact clone of the AR-18) to having two guide rods and a third rod that supports the return spring.  All of these changes occurred at once.  Also, none of them fixed the problems.

I believe he means the cross section of the receiver in profile.

6 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I'm glad we are finally using AMERICAN cartridges now. 

Also, I've never heard of the "263 USA" or whatever. Thoughts?

It's a lengthened 7.62x39 blown out and necked to 6.5mm. A bit less powerful than .260 Remington.

Ultimately, it's pretty heavy for an infantry rifle round. Would make a good 7.62 replacement, though.