Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Leopard 2 Thread

Militarysta

Hello guys, I have some questions about the Leopard 2A5 prototypes.

How do the TVMs and the KVT compare to the Leopard 2A5, when it come to armour?

The KVT was build using a Leo2A4 fromt the 5th batch(1985), so it should have less armour than the 2A5, because those used the 1988 or 1991 armour package, right?

The TVMs were build using a Leo2A4 fromt the 8th batch, so it should have the same frontal armour as the 2A5, right? The TVMs had improved roof armour, but i mostly care about the front and side protection.

Did they all share the same FCS? I know that the TVM-Max had a different PERI and a different thermal imager, but what about the rest? Same ballistics computer and sensors?

awBjekq.png

VsjbVAdBcbk.jpg

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Xlucine said:

The turret's in the right place, but where does the wall come from?

Probably not the same tank when I think about it, might be another picture I was talking about.

Anyways, another disabled Leopard 2?

3 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Highly unlikely. The TFSA hasn't been in contact with ISIS for a while now since they don't share a frontline anymore.

The propaganda video uses quite old footage, including the one of the T-90 that caught fire (the remote MG's ammunition caught fire).

Here is the video for those that are curious (The Leopard is seens at 08:20) (WARING, GRAPHIC):
http://videos.videopress.com/wutY8cZC/the-islamic-state-22stay-for-the-end-times-wilacc84yat-hcca3alab22_hd.mp4

Yesterday the German parliament finally approved the purchase of 103 Leopard 2 tanks currently owned by industry, they will be upgraded to the Leopard 2A7V standard.

According to the Wehrtechnik/Military Technology magazine, Turkey is wanting to upgrade 40 Leopard 2A4 tanks (together with 120 M60T Sabra tanks and 40 M60A3 tanks). The Leopard 2s are meant to receive ERA developed by Roketsan (the same as used on the M60A3 recently posted online), an APS (off-the-shelf system, because the Akkor APS is not ready; the M60T also is meant to receive an off-the-shelf APS), laser warning sensors, a 12.7 mm SARP RWS from Aselsan, aswell as a new camera system for enhanced situational awareness.

About 80 Turkish MBTs were used in Syria, of which 43 were Leopard 2A4s. In relation to the number used, the Leopard 2 losses seem to be average.

No, they aren't new. They are usually employed when it comes to camouflaging the vehicle, because shadows have a much darker color and create hard edges at the turret and hull front.

bw_kpz_leopard_2_a5-pzbtl_214-001.jpg

There are several variations, but in general the lower edge of the frontal armor should be covered:

leopard-2,-panzer,-maskierung-198920.jpg

Leopard 2 with rubber at the turret, cloth at the lower hull

007g.jpg

Leopard 2 camoulfaged using cloth

leopard_2.jpg

SAAB Barracuda MCS

15340780890_acd32b0d91_h.jpg

3 hours ago, That_Baka said:

I always wonder why poles didnt install their Erawa ERA on their Leopards 2?

Because they don't think it's necessary. According to older Polish articles, they assumed that the Leopard 2A4 is as well protected as the PT-91 with ERAWA-1 and ERAWA-2  ERA.