Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

I see you've found the "Edgy Teens Role Play as Communist Revolutionaries" subreddit.

"I think it is A-OK that the Congressman from the party I don't like got shot, because Republicans are divisive."

Somebody call my high school; I found their missing projector.

So, when I heard that Scalise had been shot in the hip with a rifle, and wasn't dead, the first caliber that jumped to mind was 7.62x39mm. Turns out I was right, and also, CNN continues to be shitters.

F2rARuO.png

Let's see here, type "SKS rifle" into teh googles, open the first link (which happens to be wikipedia), and read the first sentence.

The SKS is a Soviet semi-automatic carbine chambered for the 7.62×39mm round, designed in 1943 by Sergei Gavrilovich Simonov.

We can already tell that it is not Chinese, because it is a Soviet rifle, designed by a Russian. I'm not going to call going to wikipedia for information basic journalism, because it is less than that, but these people don't even do that. It's not that hard. Now, I might be conversant in firearms technology, but for the most part, give me some basic information about a subject that I have never heard of, and I can get a general understanding of it fairly easily. Reading is not that hard.

3 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

I have been seeing a witness described it with a curved magazine, which would mean one of those tacticooled monstrosities.

Anything with a curved/military 20+ round box magazine is an assault rifle to the media.

Jill Stein was ahead of the curve.  Overnight, she developed the genre of cynical Trumpsploitation by fundraising for a recount that everyone knew couldn't possibly work.  After that, she dispersed the monies using a highly transparent process.  By "transparent" I mean "you can't see it."

But of course, some slow-in-the-mind didn't understand the joke.  The hashtag resistance isn't about meaningfully delaying Trump.  The man works like a ratchet.  Trump keeps getting ahead in areas where there isn't much media scrutiny, which is why a sugar trade deal with Mexico recently was renegotiated.  Hashtag resistance and the Trumpsploitation genre of clickbait outrage are all about getting money and saving face.  Dumb fuck.  You're not supposed to actually do anything, much less go shoot up Washington DC.

Noodly-armed catamite couldn't even shoot center mass.

1 hour ago, Ulric said:

So, when I heard that Scalise had been shot in the hip with a rifle, and wasn't dead, the first caliber that jumped to mind was 7.62x39mm. Turns out I was right, and also, CNN continues to be shitters.

F2rARuO.png

Let's see here, type "SKS rifle" into teh googles, open the first link (which happens to be wikipedia), and read the first sentence.

We can already tell that it is not Chinese, because it is a Soviet rifle, designed by a Russian. I'm not going to call going to wikipedia for information basic journalism, because it is less than that, but these people don't even do that. It's not that hard. Now, I might be conversant in firearms technology, but for the most part, give me some basic information about a subject that I have never heard of, and I can get a general understanding of it fairly easily. Reading is not that hard.

To be fair, it may have been a Chinese SKS.

2 hours ago, Ulric said:

They're still stuck in the homogeneous "red menace" days, give it a few more decades.

27 minutes ago, roguetechie said:

Possibly even an sks-d or sks-m, one of the two uses magazines but I can never really keep them straight.

SKS-D is the one with the magazine. It's easy to remember because D stands for "dumbass conscript lost the magazine again" (or detachable I guess).

This is a HuffPo writer, and yes, it is in response to the attack:

Trump is a merciless python.  He will point to this sort of rhetoric and scream that the fake news media has blood on their hands.  He will squeeze, and they will either have to relent, and reduce their winking support for political violence, or they will have to double down and look like buffoons and thugs.  Every time something happens, Trump ratchets a bit and his opponents lose room to maneuver.

And you know what?  Fuck 'em all to death.  "Opposition" to Trump is clearly a theatrical exercise.  There will be no impeachment, there will only be obnoxious, pointless obstructionism.

The Democrats need people who are willing to negotiate with Trump on some things, stand firm on some others, and tell the radicalized portion of their base to get a real job and STFU.  Trump is the embodiment of too many strands of long-standing resent to be defeated head-on.

Meanwhile, Trump is making some noise about the latest attempt to clean out the VA:

This bill passed with broad, bipartisan support.  It is intended to make it easier to fire or demote underperforming VA employees, and includes some protection for whistleblowers.

It's a crying shame that @Hognose can't tell us whether the bill has any substance to it.  Improving the mess that is the VA will not be easy.

4 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Trump is a merciless python.  He will point to this sort of rhetoric and scream that the fake news media has blood on their hands.  He will squeeze, and they will either have to relent, and reduce their winking support for political violence, or they will have to double down and look like buffoons and thugs.  Every time something happens, Trump ratchets a bit and his opponents lose room to maneuver.

Every day that goes by has me incrementally more convinced that Trump is the Grand Master Persuader that Dilbertman believes he is. I am watching him throw meat to the sharks, and get everything he wants while they are distracted. In a few months, his opponents will wake up to a bright, sunny day where the birds are singing, grab their phones to start the days reading of tweets, and find that Trump has quietly delivered on every. single. one. of his campaign promises. The wall will be built, tax reform passed, healthcare reworked, the VA restructured, etc. Trump will declare victory, and for many folks the illusion of a chaotic, out-of-control manchild will be broken. They'll have been roundly defeated, because they were too worried what "covfefe" meant to notice that he was getting shit done.

Whether any of this will be good for America, I have no idea. But the opposition is currently demonstrating the political acumen of a pack of alligators. Trump is a cajun with some chicken fillets he bought at a gas station and a 20 gauge shotgun. They don't stand a chance.

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Every day that goes by has me incrementally more convinced that Trump is the Grand Master Persuader that Dilbertman believes he is. I am watching him throw meat to the sharks, and get everything he wants while they are distracted. In a few months, his opponents will wake up to a bright, sunny day where the birds are singing, grab their phones to start the days reading of tweets, and find that Trump has quietly delivered on every. single. one. of his campaign promises. The wall will be built, tax reform passed, healthcare reworked, the VA restructured, etc. Trump will declare victory, and for many folks the illusion of a chaotic, out-of-control manchild will be broken. They'll have been roundly defeated, because they were too worried what "covfefe" meant to notice that he was getting shit done.

Whether any of this will be good for America, I have no idea. But the opposition is currently demonstrating the political acumen of a pack of alligators. Trump is a cajun with some chicken fillets he bought at a gas station and a 20 gauge shotgun. They don't stand a chance.

They won't wake up. These people will deny reality as either a strategy or as a coping mechanism. The dems are desperate to keep the hysteria to a fever pitch up to 2018 to try and win seats back.

I find all this to be rather concerning. History has shown us that the radical left wing is willing to go to extremely violent lengths to destroy who they consider to be enemies, and they consider anyone who disagrees with them to be an enemy. Granted, these aren't the steel making Communists of old, but I find this concerning none the less. They are good at organizing, are prone to violence, and believe in relativistic mortality, if they have any morals at all.

Sure makes you feel good about all that time and money people spent to drum up hysteria about right wing domestic terrorism, which never really existed but was good cover to keep people from realizing that their friends neighbors and etc actually spent the entire 60's & 70's being blown the fuck up, shot, robbed, and generally terrorized by an entire fucking panoply of leftist fuckwits...

About half of which are now rich, NOT IN PRISON, and still advocating for bergen Belsen Dubuque edition to this very god damn day!

Just days after Trump (correctly) said #Qatar is backing terrorism, US agrees to sell Qatar dozens of new warplanes

Great way to fight with sources of terrorism - lie down with them in one bed and suck each other dicks in big money and great corruption deal.

19 hours ago, roguetechie said:

Sure makes you feel good about all that time and money people spent to drum up hysteria about right wing domestic terrorism, which never really existed but was good cover to keep people from realizing that their friends neighbors and etc actually spent the entire 60's & 70's being blown the fuck up, shot, robbed, and generally terrorized by an entire fucking panoply of leftist fuckwits...

About half of which are now rich, NOT IN PRISON, and still advocating for bergen Belsen Dubuque edition to this very god damn day!

I'll be sure to remind the relatives of the 168 people killed in Oklahoma that right wing domestic terrorism was never a thing.  

20 hours ago, roguetechie said:

54 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I'll be sure to remind the relatives of the 168 people killed in Oklahoma that right wing domestic terrorism was never a thing.  

I care a lot less about right/left wing political violence from 20+ years ago than I do about the feedback loop the left has been in for the last couple years.

11 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

I care a lot less about right/left wing political violence from 20+ years ago than I do about the feedback loop the left has been in for the last couple years.

I'm radically left for this board.  I haven't seen anything but condemnation from my friends list about these attacks. Even people who are pretty far left of me have at worst said "I understand their anger, but not the right method to deal with it. If you ID them, toss them in jail."   I have seen a bit of "I told you so." from the radical anti-gun people I know.

On weapons, from what I've seen from actual friends?  Actually a bit more tolerance/willingness to explore, and a few exploratory requests for information from the folks I know. (Nate has been very helpful a couple of times at random moments, so he's a great firearms ambassador to the left... even if he doesn't know it.) , but also a bit of "They are armed, so we should be as well.", which honestly people try to shout down, but there is that undercurrent of somewhat sane people actually speaking up. I'll add that this particular line of commentary is based on friends in the US. Canada has a whole different deal going on.