Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

50 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

I care a lot less about right/left wing political violence from 20+ years ago than I do about the feedback loop the left has been in for the last couple years.

Recent political violence isn't isolated to the left

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/us/portland-train-stabbing/index.html

Pretending that your own party is incapable of doing stupid things and refusing to address the stupid things your own party does is one of the reasons we have these particular problems

3 minutes ago, Vanagandr said:

Recent political violence isn't isolated to the left

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/26/us/portland-train-stabbing/index.html

Pretending that your own party is incapable of doing stupid things is one of the reasons we have these particular problems

Loughner cannot be put in a right/left spectrum and the Portland stabber was a Berniebro.

And 'my party' is a centerist Democrat who hasn't bought into progressive identity politics.

The Portland stabber was also a white supremacist who was berating two women of color which lead to the unfortunate confrontation with the two men he stabbed.  I think its fair to call him a right wing extremist.  

That said, obviously these people are all a bit goofy in the head so it's not surprising that there will be contradictions in some of their political beliefs.  The political spectrum is more of a circle than a straight line.  As you get out to the extreme ends of the line, both directions end up in loony-toon territory.

32 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The Portland stabber was also a white supremacist who was berating two women of color which lead to the unfortunate confrontation with the two men he stabbed.  I think its fair to call him a right wing extremist.  

That said, obviously these people are all a bit goofy in the head so it's not surprising that there will be contradictions in some of their political beliefs.  The political spectrum is more of a circle than a straight line.  As you get out to the extreme ends of the line, both directions end up in loony-toon territory.

A "white supremacist" who wants Portland returned to the indians, white/black/hispanic racists segregated from normal people, and bereted the two girls because they were muslim (he hates religion).

Edited by Ramlaen

38 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The guy is opposed to the "prison industrial complex" and opposed the North Dakota Pipeline while having a major hangup with male circumcision. These aren't exactly mainstream beliefs among right wing political figures. Coupled by the fact that he was a "Nihilist" who has a major hangup with religion and it's clear the guy is just some random nutter of the sort you can expect to find in Portland.

Accordingly, the local news media has dialed back on the news coverage of this case and they have also toned down the narrative that this guy was a right wing Trump supporter (particularly when his social media feed contradicts this narrative).

What the story does show is that the MAX train in Portland is a fucking weird and dangerous place to be with the amount of bums, drug dealers and crazies riding it.

As an example. 

Here is a story of a homeless bum who stole the wedding ring off the finger of the dead husband stabbed by the Nihilist Berniebro and made off with the victim's backpack.

http://koin.com/2017/06/01/man-wanted-for-stealing-bag-ring-from-max-victim/

And a couple days later, another random crazy man stabbed a Max passenger, this time with a butter knife.

http://www.kgw.com/news/crime/man-cuts-passenger-with-butter-knife-on-max-train-police-say/446613160

The real news story isn't Stabby McNihilist. The real news story is that the mayor of Portland and the Portland city council has allowed these sort of mentally ill criminals to roam free in the streets of the Rose City. That's despite the fact that Portland Police know who half of these nutters are and are prevented from doing anything to incarcerate them until they actually stab and murder someone.

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I'll be sure to remind the relatives of the 168 people killed in Oklahoma that right wing domestic terrorism was never a thing.  

I have very strong feelings on Oklahoma, and I'm glad fuckin Timmy and Terry both got it in the neck regardless of those feelings!

I'm just wishing for equal spanks for equal levels of depraved fuckwittery!

Which, you can't even TRY to argue has been the case so far if you have a conscience!

I'm old enough to have a really good memory of the militia movement, AND the way everyone sane in the firearms community mercilessly mocked those fat faggots and put them in fuckin prison where they belonged!

The ATF and FBI like to take credit for breaking the militias, but the truth is the rest of the community did what it took to cash those fools out and flush them...

We do not see the left self policing in any way through the same time period, quite the opposite really, however if this incident changes that trend... It'll almost be worth it in my eyes!

Please don't mistake me for one of the idiots who wants violence, I've experienced enough violence in my life to be thoroughly disabused of the romanticism some people hold for it.

16 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

Great way to fight with sources of terrorism - lie down with them in one bed and suck each other dicks in big money and great corruption deal.

" In November, the United States approved possible sale of up to 72 F-15QA aircraft to Qatar for $21.1 billion (£16.6 billion). "

Might not totally be in Trump's hands.

3 hours ago, Lostwingman said:

IIRC Qatar ordered additional 15 of those jets after all this shit-throwing competition started bewteen Saudis, UAE and Qatar.

As a Max rider who lives in Portland, yeah you're totally spot on...

In some ways this place is more dangerous than even the traditional hellzones of back east inner cities because of the sheer nutbag concentration!

They're also the unpredictable nutbag types that just plain are not safe to be within the same enclosed volume because anything or nothing can set them off. It's not like dealing with the normal classes and groups of predatory people where A set course of action etc can be used to reliably avoid conflicts.

The closest thing I've found to a failsafe procedure to avoid issues is to wear headphones and pretend to be 100% focused on your smartphone. The nutbags leave the smartphone zombies alone, mostly... Unless they don't...

And THAT friends is the joy of riding the train in Portland!

5 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

IIRC Qatar ordered additional 15 of those jets after all this shit-throwing competition started bewteen Saudis, UAE and Qatar.

Step one: stir shit up in the middle east.

Step two: sell weapons to both sides.

Step three: profit?

We've been doing steps one and two for decades, maybe now we can toss in step three.

23 minutes ago, Ulric said:

Step one: stir shit up in the middle east.

Step two: sell weapons to both sides.

Step three: profit?

We've been doing steps one and two for decades, maybe now we can toss in step three.

I wouldn't mind this if step 1 involved only countries that export their shity, one of main human religion - corrupting "product" that make everybody else miserable or dead. 

On 6/16/2017 at 11:16 AM, Vanagandr said:

No True Berniebro would shoot people

On 6/16/2017 at 11:30 AM, Walter_Sobchak said:

This is actually one of the big problems with the Trump/Sanders/Paul type of "long tail" political campaigns.  You can get surprise victories with coalitions of the previously disenfranchised.  But the previously disenfranchised also includes a lot of crazy people you want nothing to do with.

The FEELZ when the Democrats make an election for a Georgia congressional district into a referendum on Donald Trump, spending tens of millions of dollars in the process, only to have their handpicked candidate - who doesn't even live in the district - losing by 5 percent of the vote and counting.

giphy.gif

https://decisiondeskhq.com/results/georgia-sixth-congressional-district-special/

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia-congressional-runoff-ossoff-handel

If I were a donor for the Democratic Party, I'd be pissed at how much money they have squandered on these forlorn hopes trying to pick up seats in what are essentially "Safe" Republican states and districts.

And the thing is, it is only going to get worse in 2018 with the preponderance of the Senate creatures up for re-election being Democrats who reside in states that voted for Trump.

This also puts yet another nail into the coffin of traditional pollsters who got this election wrong too. By like 7 percentage points wrong and counting. From memory, most of the polls had the Democrat guy up buy 2 to 4 percentage points. Right now, the GOP candidate is up by 5 percent and this number has been rising steadily.

It's weird how the news media breathlessly report on every fucking Trump tweet and insist redfaced that it's superduperimportantyoujustdon'tunderstand, but then when something doesn't go their way you catch them whistling to themselves and shuffling away quietly.

14 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

It's weird how the news media breathlessly report on every fucking Trump tweet and insist redfaced that it's superduperimportantyoujustdon'tunderstand, but then when something doesn't go their way you catch them whistling to themselves and shuffling away quietly.

Exactly. 

And it is downright embarrassing for the Democrats and the media who not only don't seem to understand. But they don't want to understand.

Like that Montana special election where the Republican viciously and brutally assaulted pushed a reporter/stringer for the UK Guardian and everyone thought that spelled the end for the guy.

He won handily.

The American public doesn't like reporters. What a shock. They trust them less than used car salesmen.I know. I've been a reporter. 

These people live in a world where the only human beings they interact with are their friends who think the same way and their yes men assistants who are the ones that go out and get the food and pick up their dry cleaning.

Yeah, it's total shit, Trump should get some kudos for his VA firing bill at the very least.  SO any bets on 2018 being a gaint shitshow for the dems with the violent, mean spirited, lie filled, anti American shit they have spewed since the election? I bet they get slaughtered again. It's clear they still have no idea they lost, now that the idiotic collusion thing has dried up. It's sad really, their failure to figure out why Trump won may lose them their gains in trans acceptance, and hurt the advances to Gay rights.