Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

12 hours ago, Lostwingman said:

Also, I just realized that barring something unprecedented, Trump is going to get a Presidential Library. I can only imagine how vandalized that thing would get in the future.

I'm most excited for the USS Donald Trump tbh. 

19 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

If the NYT is failing and fake news, why does POTUS do interviews with it?  It's like some weird game where they pretend to hate each other for the sake of making a buck off the attention each other provide.  

YUUUUUUUP

I mean, the NYT is fake news and I derive satisfaction from the fact that Trump is the annoying parrot in the room that won't shut up about this, but let's not pretend he's not getting anything out of the deal.

21 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

If the NYT is failing and fake news, why does POTUS do interviews with it?  It's like some weird game where they pretend to hate each other for the sake of making a buck off the attention each other provide.  

I thought it was pretty obvious that regardless of the accuracy, much of what he says is just posturing and framing. I mean, as an old media platform it is failing but it still has a relevant name.

3 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

YUUUUUUUP

I mean, the NYT is fake news and I derive satisfaction from the fact that Trump is the annoying parrot in the room that won't shut up about this, but let's not pretend he's not getting anything out of the deal.

What the fuck does "fake news" even mean?  It's a meaningless term tossed about by a deeply cynical and dishonest man. 

53 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

What the fuck does "fake news" even mean?  It's a meaningless term tossed about by a deeply cynical and dishonest man. 

It's like some weird game where they pretend to hate each other for the sake of making a buck off the attention each other provide.  

A couple of my coworkers were having a gab party about politics, and if you put all the things that were said together into a single story line you get 'Trump wants to fire Sessions so he can get rid of Mueller to stop any investigation into his finances because his tax returns are evidence of colluding with Russia'.

58 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

A couple of my coworkers were having a gab party about politics, and if you put all the things that were said together into a single story line you get 'Trump wants to fire Sessions so he can get rid of Mueller to stop any investigation into his finances because his tax returns are evidence of colluding with Russia'.

That seems to be the current zeitgeist of conspiracy.

On 7/24/2017 at 9:14 PM, Sturgeon said:

IMO Sessions qualifies as a useful idiot here. He was destined for a face full of tire tread marks.

Maybe this it's just my fantasy, but it's possible that this whole thing with Sessions is simply the theatrical smokescreen covering Trump's next move in his 4d chess game

10 hours ago, Ulric said:

Trump just banned transgenders from the military henceforth. Let the salt flow!

There's former NAVY SEAL with a Bronze star for valor, 20 years in the navy and service on SEAL Team 6 that's plenty salty with him over it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kristin-beck-trump-transgender-ban-2017-7

11 hours ago, Belesarius said:

There's former NAVY SEAL with a Bronze star for valor, 20 years in the navy and service on SEAL Team 6 that's plenty salty with him over it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/kristin-beck-trump-transgender-ban-2017-7

Yes, because reverting back to the previous policy of 2015 and older would have prevented him from serving for 20 years. Just like don't ask don't tell, if nobody knows, nobody cares. I would imagine that this is a policy change so that we are not providing gender mutilation surgery to people who have a psychological condition on the taxpayers dime.

If I felt that I needed expensive surgery that I couldn't pay for, but I could get for free if I joined the military, I would strongly consider it.

Also, where does it stop? Is the military obliged to fulfill whatever delusions I may have simply because I self identify them?

Don't really have any details since I'm posting from break at work, but there's apparently some drama about the FBI getting involved with some Pakistani IT nerds working for the DNC.  I've seen little trickles of this in the past, but enough sketchy stuff has happened with it that the FBI is getting itself involved apparently.

I've got a quick rundown that I'll add to this post when I'm off.

They found some smashed hard drives at his place. The Dems seem to have this weird hobby that involves destroying data storage devices...

Granted, there are probably plenty of reasons why an IT guy would have smashed hard drives laying around. Being a gunsmith, I have all sorts of gun parts in various states of disrepair, including destroyed receivers. The difference is that those can usually be brought back into a functional state, or are at least educational from a reverse engineering standpoint. I don't see a reason to keep a destroyed hard drive. Also, it's just seems like too much of a coincidence.

8 minutes ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Don't really have any details since I'm posting from break at work, but there's apparently some drama about the FBI getting involved with some Pakistani IT nerds working for the DNC.  I've seen little trickles of this in the past, but enough sketchy stuff has happened with it that the FBI is getting itself involved apparently.

I've got a quick rundown that I'll add to this post when I'm off.

This is going to be huge, he may be the hacker who released the 'hacked' dnc emails and he may have blackmailing them....   them Dems are such a bunch of idiots...

3 hours ago, Ulric said:

Yes, because reverting back to the previous policy of 2015 and older would have prevented him from serving for 20 years. Just like don't ask don't tell, if nobody knows, nobody cares. I would imagine that this is a policy change so that we are not providing gender mutilation surgery to people who have a psychological condition on the taxpayers dime.

If I felt that I needed expensive surgery that I couldn't pay for, but I could get for free if I joined the military, I would strongly consider it.

Also, where does it stop? Is the military obliged to fulfill whatever delusions I may have simply because I self identify them?

I've heard from multiple sources in various threads discussing it that there are ways to get the gov't to pay for surgery without joining the military. Not something I particularly care about, so I haven't done any research into that, as Surgery is covered up here anyway.  I just go with the accepted medical practice and say that I'll trust our medical researchers to get the answer right for the best outcome. I go with the science, as I understand it, not my feelings (which are... mixed). That aside, we're getting near the point where people who are rich enough may be able to pay for genetic therapy to get whatever chomosonal alignment they want so things may get more complicated down the road.

Aside from that, I'm fine with putting in a regulation saying that they won't pay for surgery.  But if they meet the physical requirements and can be on duty and do the job? They should be able to serve.

41 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I've heard from multiple sources in various threads discussing it that there are ways to get the gov't to pay for surgery without joining the military. Not something I particularly care about, so I haven't done any research into that, as Surgery is covered up here anyway.  I just go with the accepted medical practice and say that I'll trust our medical researchers to get the answer right for the best outcome. I go with the science, as I understand it, not my feelings (which are... mixed). That aside, we're getting near the point where people who are rich enough may be able to pay for genetic therapy to get whatever chomosonal alignment they want so things may get more complicated down the road.

Aside from that, I'm fine with putting in a regulation saying that they won't pay for surgery.  But if they meet the physical requirements and can be on duty and do the job? They should be able to serve.

I have no issues with people who can meet the physical and psychological requirements of the job.

I have concerns about the mental faculties of people who believe that they are a different gender than they physically are.

I have issues with changing national policies of a voluntary organizing to cater to 0.3% of the population. The people who are against having openly trans/gay people in the military cite concerns about the organization, while the people for it cite concerns about the individual. 

I have zero issues with the military being highly selective of who is allowed in. I think they should be more selective, because the current stigma is that the military is comprised of people who couldn't hack it on their own, kids who want free college, xenophobic rednecks who's hobbies mainly consists of huffing paint, and the rare strong intelligent patriot that wants to protect their country.