Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

18 hours ago, Donward said:

We're playing the Will-The-President-Sit-Across-The-Table-With-An-Evil-Dictator game again?

Cool.

Because I can remember in 2008 when candidate Obama said he'd sit at the same table with the leader(s) of Iran and Republicans lost their shit and Democrats said it made Obama an honest broker and a diplomat. Sen. McCain wasted part of two Presidential debates on the subject.

It's like the media recycles the same tired narratives.

It's not that I don't think he should meet with the president of North Korea.  I understand that presidents have to meet with all sorts of unsavory people.  I just don't think it's very appropriate for a US president to refer to it as "an honor."  But then, words don't actually mean much when they tumble out of Trumps pie hole.  

Also, it would seem he does not have a very good understanding of the Civil War.  

17 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Also, it would seem he does not have a very good understanding of the Civil War.  

Pretty sure he was talking about the Nullification Crisis, which is taught in Civics class (and certainly was when Trump was in school). But yes, he's not a historian, that's true.

Dilbertdore's take on it is that the "honor" wording was for North Korean ears, to give them some sort of incentive. However, I am not sure (Adams has been way more right than me over the past year generally, though). My feeling is that it's just Trump talking how Trump talks. What I think is obvious is that Trump was not saying that meeting Kim Jong-Un would be an honor for him because Kim Jong-Un is some sort of role model for Trump. Even if Trump was as evil as the media wants to make him out to be, this would be utterly absurd. If he were that sort of person, his role models might be Hitler or Mussolini or Chiang Kai-Shek or Pol Pot or Kim Il-Sung. Evil dictators from Trump's era, not some upstart squirt like Kim Jong-Un.

So he clearly means something else. Maybe that he'd be honored to be a part of brokering a peace between the countries? Who knows. It's Trump. But he obviously wouldn't be honored merely by being in the presence of Kim Jong-Un. If anyone thinks that, they need to sit down and reprogram themselves, because they are letting the propaganda run their mind.

By the way, none of this lessens the fact that it's a gaffe. Yes, I'd say it's a gaffe. If this were Biden, I'd be howling with laughter (well I am already howling with laughter, but for somewhat different reasons). With Trump... Shit, what even is a gaffe anymore? If you gaffe your way into being elected President and boosting the economy, and strengthening border security and generally being hugely successful... Fuck, are those even gaffes at that point?

The most idiotic claim in this is the idea that CO2 has nothing to do with temperature. 

It's been understood since the mid-1800s that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. Its not magic, its the physical properties of CO2 molecules that interact with long-wave radiation that the earth gives off and radiates that back. CO2 actually does match up well with temperature once you also include that the ancient sun was less irradiant. CO2 has doubled in the atmosphere, and its isotopic signature shows that it is from fossil fuel emissions. 

It's fine to debate how bad climate change will be, but this guy's "we don't know how the climate works, but doubling CO2 will surely make things better" is rather disappointing. I was expecting something more. Something not retarded. 

1 hour ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

The most idiotic claim in this is the idea that CO2 has nothing to do with temperature. 

The best arguments on the "hoax/scam" side don't deny this. However, look at how much of global CO2 emissions are human generated. It's a tiny fraction of the overall total (most is emitted from the sea).

It's been understood since the mid-1800s that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas. Its not magic, its the physical properties of CO2 molecules that interact with long-wave radiation that the earth gives off and radiates that back.

The reputable skeptics don't deny this. Moore doesn't.

CO2 actually does match up well with temperature once you also include that the ancient sun was less irradiant.

And ice cream consumption matches up with shark attacks, as Moore argued.

[CO2's] isotopic signature shows that it is from fossil fuel emissions.

Oh, really? Please, show me a compelling source that illustrates this! I mean, that. Because you know what, I'm not an expert, and so I've asked a bunch of climate change proponents for Lloyd's Lintel, and gotten exactly jack and squat, besides offers for me to go fuck myself.

The hostility that I get when I ask this question (which I historically have done very nicely, for what should be obvious reasons) is pretty suspicious to me, but that's really another subject.

I'm serious, if you've got real evidence for the lintel please send it my way. I've never seen any.

It's fine to debate how bad climate change will be, but this guy's "we don't know how the climate works, but doubling CO2 will surely make things better" is rather disappointing.

Um... You know that greenhouses are... Green, right? Like, even the most extreme climate change predictions say we're going to warm by a few degrees over the next hundred years, which sounds pretty green to me.

Very long term, maybe it's a problem, sure. But that's very long term. Contrast that with the "in the next ten years [fifteen years ago]" alarmism.

I DON'T know what's really happening. And you know what, I don't think anyone does. Why? Because whatever is really going on, whether it's a real problem in the near term or not, it appears for all the world as if this has become a scam. It smells like a scam, looks like a scam, acts like a scam, and upon close dissection appears to be a scam. I am sure real scientists and (occasionally) real science is involved. But overall, I can only consider it a scam.

Which doesn't even mean its doomsday predictions are necessarily wrong. What it means is that because there is a scam going on, which is promoted by powerful individuals and organizations, real science and therefore real prevention measures are impossible.

12 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

The best arguments on the "hoax/scam" side don't deny this. However, look at how much of global CO2 emissions are human generated. It's a tiny fraction of the overall total (most is emitted from the sea).

The concern is that carbon sinks aren't able to take up that CO2 due to warming and thus accelerate warming. The Ocean is the largest carbon sink and takes in gigatons more CO2 than it emits. The problem is that human activities has thrown the sink/source equilibrium out of whack so now the atmosphere is taking in more of the share of CO2 because as temperatures increase, the oceans lose their properties as good carbon sinks. 

And ice cream consumption matches up with shark attacks, as Moore argued.

Totally. 

Oh, really? Please, show me a compelling source that illustrates this! I mean, that. Because you know what, I'm not an expert, and so I've asked a bunch of climate change proponents for Lloyd's Lintel, and gotten exactly jack and squat, besides offers for me to go fuck myself.

Yeah, it was sorta figured out in 1956. 

Carbon 14  and 13 ratios are decreasing and thus the source for the extra carbon in the atmosphere is from an old and organic source. That suggests fossil fuels are driving the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.  

Um... You know that greenhouses are... Green, right? Like, even the most extreme climate change predictions say we're going to warm by a few degrees over the next hundred years, which sounds pretty green to me.

Depends where you live and how bad desertification/deforestation is in whatever region you're living in. 

Very long term, maybe it's a problem, sure. But that's very long term. Contrast that with the "in the next ten years [fifteen years ago]" alarmism.

I DON'T know what's really happening. And you know what, I don't think anyone does. Why? Because whatever is really going on, whether it's a real problem in the near term or not, it appears for all the world as if this has become a scam. It smells like a scam, looks like a scam, acts like a scam, and upon close dissection appears to be a scam. I am sure real scientists and (occasionally) real science is involved. But overall, I can only consider it a scam.

Which doesn't even mean its doomsday predictions are necessarily wrong. What it means is that because there is a scam going on, which is promoted by powerful individuals and organizations, real science and therefore real prevention measures are impossible.

I can see being skeptical about alarmism, though I can't see how a new climate regime being rapidly changed within a century's time can be harmless. There's plenty of worry about regarding positive feedback loops arising such as permafrost melting that will release methane that will warm the atmosphere even more. I touched on the oceans losing their ability to be carbon sinks earlier which is another feedback loop and you've also touched on the increased temperatures means increased water vapor (another greenhouse gas) feedback loop, the melting of ice is another feedback loop because ice reflects a good bit of solar radiation, but dark substrates such as the ocean or rocks will absorb heat and thus you'll get even more warming. This is what the alarmist sentiment is about, and the science behind how these feedback loops work are solid. 

I've tried to look for negative feedback loops associated with CO2 induced warming and I can't find anything.

Many IPCC reports just focus on warming from CO2 emissions and not the warming that caused by these feedback loops as well, and thus there's been plenty of criticism that climate change projections, which often look at the end of the century, only show a rise in temperature of only a couple of degrees. Hell, even the sea level rise projections are just based off of thermal expansion and don't include ice melt.  

The powerful individuals and organizations... is an argument that goes both ways. 

saudi%20refiner.jpg

Plenty of organizations, people, companies, etc are using global warming as a tool for their scams. It's disheartening for me as there's plenty of research papers documenting the potential negative effects of global warming and the most obvious solution is still demonized. 

8 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

The concern is that carbon sinks aren't able to take up that CO2 due to warming and thus accelerate warming. The Ocean is the largest carbon sink and takes in gigatons more CO2 than it emits. The problem is that human activities has thrown the sink/source equilibrium out of whack so now the atmosphere is taking in more of the share of CO2 because as temperatures increase, the oceans lose their properties as good carbon sinks. 

Yes, I get that. That doesn't address the Lintel at all.

10 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Totally. 

Wait, so you're going to try to school me on this, but then roll your eyes and act as though you've never heard of "correlation does not equal causation".

I'm going to springboard off this glib response into a more general point that isn't directed at you specifically. Let's assume for a minute that everything the climate change folks say is correct (and I fully accept that it might be). OK, so then WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? After decades of our society successfully teaching people science, the climate change cadre has decided "you know what? Fuck all the previous methods of teaching, we should just be condescending assholes to everyone, and mock them instead of addressing their questions directly. We should just tell them they don't believe in science at all, and compare them to fringe whackjobs like flat earthers in an attempt to shame them back in line. This sounds like a good strategy."

Sure, maybe Big Bad Industry has funded enough anti-climate-science bullcrap as to create a serious dissent problem where there wouldn't otherwise be one, but if this is the way Real Scientists respond to that kind of situation then they deserve to live on fucking Venus 2. What do they expect to happen? People will just shut up and do what they say? Not for long, assholes! Now you've dressed yourselves in all the trappings of a scam, and everyone's pissed about it. Even if you're right you've totally failed at the persuasion long game, and your side is probably toast. They will write whole psychology and sociology textbooks about your abject failure in their underground habitable domes in the blazing grimdark venusian future.

17 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Yeah, it was sorta figured out in 1956. 

Carbon 14  and 13 ratios are decreasing and thus the source for the extra carbon in the atmosphere is from an old and organic source. That suggests fossil fuels are driving the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere.  

So there's no real Lintel, is what I'm hearing.

18 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Depends where you live and how bad desertification/deforestation is in whatever region you're living in. 

So then the solution should be to plant more trees, not waste money on solar.

I mean, there's lots of reasons for smart people to be skeptical, and here's another good one: If we want to reduce carbon, why don't we work on breeding thirstier trees and planting them? Shouldn't we be working with the logging companies giving them tax incentives to plant forests instead of funding solar and wind power scams like Solyndra?

Another reason for smart people to be skeptical: I grew up hearing about how the climate changed over the past billion years, and about how it used to be much, much hotter in the past and biodiversity was correspondingly higher. So what's the problem? Now, this isn't a point of persuasion, but it's a reason for a smart non-expert to doubt the climate change narrative, so why do fucking climate change proponents treat everyone on the other side as if they have mental deficiencies?

22 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

I can see being skeptical about alarmism, though I can't see how a new climate regime being rapidly changed within a century's time can be harmless.

Doesn't look like a rapid change to me, even by the worst reputable predictions. It's supposed to be like 3 degrees increase by the end of the century or something? And the models appear to be exaggerating pretty bad, so it'll probably be a lot less than that. Considering we are at the tail end of the Ice Age, it's pretty hard for most smart people who are non-experts to see what there is to be worried about.

23 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

There's plenty of worry about regarding positive feedback loops arising such as permafrost melting that will release methane that will warm the atmosphere even more. I touched on the oceans losing their ability to be carbon sinks earlier which is another feedback loop and you've also touched on the increased temperatures means increased water vapor (another greenhouse gas) feedback loop, the melting of ice is another feedback loop because ice reflects a good bit of solar radiation, but dark substrates such as the ocean or rocks will absorb heat and thus you'll get even more warming. This is what the alarmist sentiment is about, and the science behind how these feedback loops work are solid. 

Yeah, and my worry is that we'll never figure this shit out because this issue has become politicized to the point of it being a fucking cult. If you want to solve this problem, get rid of the cult first.

25 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

The powerful individuals and organizations... is an argument that goes both ways. 

saudi%20refiner.jpg

Do you really need me to say "fuck the House of Saud"?

25 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Plenty of organizations, people, companies, etc are using global warming as a tool for their scams. It's disheartening for me as there's plenty of research papers documenting the potential negative effects of global warming and the most obvious solution is still demonized. 

And my issue is that there seems to be no way to disentangle the science from the scam right now. I think whatever true core science there is to climate change has already lost. Science has become corrupt, I think that's true, and we're seeing a rejection of its corrupt part. But I don't think you can really separate it. There will need to be some sort of reinvention in the scientific community where the heretics are purged and a new order is established before we'll see any real progress here.

59 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Yes, I get that. That doesn't address the Lintel at all.

I thought you wanted to know why it is believed that its human CO2 emissions that are behind elevated CO2 levels. 

So you wanted something like this?

Wait, so you're going to try to school me on this, but then roll your eyes and act as though you've never heard of "correlation does not equal causation".

I'm going to springboard off this glib response into a more general point that isn't directed at you specifically. Let's assume for a minute that everything the climate change folks say is correct (and I fully accept that it might be). OK, so then WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE? After decades of our society successfully teaching people science, the climate change cadre has decided "you know what? Fuck all the previous methods of teaching, we should just be condescending assholes to everyone, and mock them instead of addressing their questions directly. We should just tell them they don't believe in science at all, and compare them to fringe whackjobs like flat earthers in an attempt to shame them back in line. This sounds like a good strategy."

My sarcasm is that the leap in logic needed to say an increase in a gas known to increase temperature will increase temperature isn't a leap at all. Saying its just a correlation is just dismissing. 

So there's no real Lintel, is what I'm hearing.

I didn't watch Lindy's video. So I don't know what you mean at the time. I still don't know exactly what he means when he's going on about there's no linkage between CO2 and warming temperatures. 

So then the solution should be to plant more trees, not waste money on solar.

That would help, but having the world's entire plant biomass increase CO2 uptake by ~8% seems rather daunting in my opinion. 

I mean, there's lots of reasons for smart people to be skeptical, and here's another good one: If we want to reduce carbon, why don't we work on breeding thirstier trees and planting them? Shouldn't we be working with the logging companies giving them tax incentives to plant forests instead of funding solar and wind power scams like Solyndra?

These are good opinions. 

Another reason for smart people to be skeptical: I grew up hearing about how the climate changed over the past billion years, and about how it used to be much, much hotter in the past and biodiversity was correspondingly higher. So what's the problem?

Having modern ecosystems and human civilization to adapt to Miocene conditions within a century or so seems problematic. 

Now, this isn't a point of persuasion, but it's a reason for a smart non-expert to doubt the climate change narrative, so why do fucking climate change proponents treat everyone on the other side as if they have mental deficiencies?

Its a tactic that's carried over from the evolution vs creationist debate that has become habitual. 

Doesn't look like a rapid change to me, even by the worst reputable predictions. It's supposed to be like 3 degrees increase by the end of the century or something? And the models appear to be exaggerating pretty bad, so it'll probably be a lot less than that. Considering we are at the tail end of the Ice Age, it's pretty hard for most smart people who are non-experts to see what there is to be worried about.

As I noted, the 3 degrees is a conservative estimate based solely off CO2 emissions and doesn't touch on all those feedback loops that aren't that well understood, from my understanding, regarding how much warming they'll cause. Besides a moderate 3 degree increase would put us about where the Eemian interglacial was at its absolute peak where sea levels were 20 feet higher than today and when hippos thrived in the Thames. 

Yeah, and my worry is that we'll never figure this shit out because this issue has become politicized to the point of it being a fucking cult. If you want to solve this problem, get rid of the cult first.

Agreed. 

Do you really need me to say "fuck the House of Saud"?

I say it every 5 times a day 

And my issue is that there seems to be no way to disentangle the science from the scam right now. I think whatever true core science there is to climate change has already lost. Science has become corrupt, I think that's true, and we're seeing a rejection of its corrupt part. But I don't think you can really separate it. There will need to be some sort of reinvention in the scientific community where the heretics are purged and a new order is established before we'll see any real progress here.

I think you can tell the difference when you get to know their opinions about nuclear energy and GMOs. How many actual geochemists, climatologists, etc do you see on TV talking about this? None. You get fucking Bill Nye and you get rather poorly written articles in pop science magazines/websites. It's honestly not that different from most other fields of science in that regard. 

Just now, Priory_of_Sion said:

I thought you wanted to know why it is believed that its human CO2 emissions that are behind elevated CO2 levels. 

So you wanted something like this?

How many times do I have to tell you that I know what the greenhouse gas effect is before you will believe it?

1 minute ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

My sarcasm is that the leap in logic needed to say an increase in a gas known to increase temperature will increase temperature isn't a leap at all. Saying its just a correlation is just dismissing. 

It's not, but that's not the point. The point is that there's an anti-science environment and the "pro-science" crowd doesn't even realize they're fueling it.

2 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

I didn't watch Lindy's video. So I don't know what you mean at the time. I still don't know exactly what he means when he's going on about there's no linkage between CO2 and warming temperatures.

There is a big fucking jump between "the greenhouse effect exists" and "greenhouse gas emissions from humans are the significant factor in the greenhouse gas effect on Earth which is the dominant factor in global temperature increase which is going to cause a catastrophe in N years". You see how someone might look at your responses - which are very similar to the sorts of responses you can find all over the Internet - and go "this guy is a condescending asshole who isn't worth my time?" It's neither persuasive nor scientifically rigorous. It's just throwing memes at people and hoping they'll give up. Think back to all the arguments you've ever had, and ask yourself: Did anyone ever just give up? So then your approach and the approach many people are taking isn't working, is it?

4 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

That would help, but having the world's entire plant biomass increase CO2 uptake by ~8% seems rather daunting in my opinion. 

They are, as you mentioned, also against nuclear. Which doesn't help the "scam" image.

7 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Having modern ecosystems and human civilization to adapt to Miocene conditions within a century or so seems problematic. 

You mean that thing called the "Mid Miocene Climate Optimum"? See how this is weak-ass persuasion?

9 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Its a tactic that's carried over from the evolution vs creationist debate that has become habitual. 

And it didn't work with the creationists, either.

10 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

As I noted, the 3 degrees is a conservative estimate based solely off CO2 emissions and doesn't touch on all those feedback loops that aren't that well understood, from my understanding, regarding how much warming they'll cause. Besides a moderate 3 degree increase would put us about where the Eemian interglacial was at its absolute peak where sea levels were 20 feet higher than today and when hippos thrived in the Thames. 

Right, so basically there's a bunch of hugely complex models of the variety that are very unreliable. Climate is extraordinarily complex, and there's not really a good way to predict exactly how it will behave. So we don't really know what will happen, basically. This isn't me shutting the book on the science or anything, it's just not in accord with the party line on climate. I get that it's tough to get people to take something seriously when you don't even have a slick way to illustrate that it's a problem, but the problem with just running with a set of assumptions is that people will eventually figure it out. There are a lot of smart climate deniers, and they will use all their powers of confirmation bias to defeat you.

14 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

I think you can tell the difference when you get to know their opinions about nuclear energy and GMOs. How many actual geochemists, climatologists, etc do you see on TV talking about this? None. You get fucking Bill Nye and you get rather poorly written articles in pop science magazines/websites. It's honestly not that different from most other fields of science in that regard. 

I do not at all mean you can't separate individuals, I mean you can disentangle the organizations and tribalism that's grown up in the scientific community.

Like, I guarantee you 100% that you and virtually everyone else on your side who isn't an SME on climate believes in climate change/global warming because you identify as scientific, reasonable people, and all the thoughts and arguments supporting climate change are channeled through that belief. The evidence doesn't produce the belief, the belief summons the evidence. That's how the human mind works.

Now, that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong or that the beliefs are wrong. It just means that people are ultimately products of their tribes. That's why Bill Nye does what he does.

Sometimes humans can get past that and do real science. And that's a beautiful thing. But the facts of human psychology mean this sort of thing is an absolute breeding ground for groupthink and cult-like behavior, and that sort of shit is anathema to good science.

27 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

How many times do I have to tell you that I know what the greenhouse gas effect is before you will believe it?

15 times

It's not, but that's not the point. The point is that there's an anti-science environment and the "pro-science" crowd doesn't even realize they're fueling it.

Fuck that crowd then. 

There is a big fucking jump between "the greenhouse effect exists" and "greenhouse gas emissions from humans are the significant factor in the greenhouse gas effect on Earth which is the dominant factor in global temperature increase which is going to cause a catastrophe in N years". You see how someone might look at your responses - which are very similar to the sorts of responses you can find all over the Internet - and go "this guy is a condescending asshole who isn't worth my time?" It's neither persuasive nor scientifically rigorous. It's just throwing memes at people and hoping they'll give up. Think back to all the arguments you've ever had, and ask yourself: Did anyone ever just give up? So then your approach and the approach many people are taking isn't working, is it?

Well there's a couple established ways the climate changes, with these 3 being the major global drivers of climate. 

1. solar irradiance
  2. orbital perturbations 
  3. atmospheric composition 

Solar irradiance has, on the average, been fairly steady over the past couple decades 

1_solar_output.gif

The earth's orbit has been relative constant over in this modern era too and thus there's no reason to suggest that warming is caused by shifts in the earth's orbit. 

So that leaves atmospheric changes. Sulfate concentrations (which have a cooling effect and where behind the global cooling scare) are going down and GHGs are increasing in tune with temperature. 

In the past, solar irradiance & orbital changes were the triggers for climatic change with CO2 levels increasing following the initial warming and thus exacerbate that initial warming. Today we have an initial warming that isn't related to those things, but warming does match up with CO2 

They are, as you mentioned, also against nuclear. Which doesn't help the "scam" image.

They 

You mean that thing called the "Mid Miocene Climate Optimum"? See how this is weak-ass persuasion?

When the poles were ice free, yeah

And it didn't work with the creationists, either.

That is why

Right, so basically there's a bunch of hugely complex models of the variety that are very unreliable. Climate is extraordinarily complex, and there's not really a good way to predict exactly how it will behave. So we don't really know what will happen, basically. This isn't me shutting the book on the science or anything, it's just not in accord with the party line on climate. I get that it's tough to get people to take something seriously when you don't even have a slick way to illustrate that it's a problem, but the problem with just running with a set of assumptions is that people will eventually figure it out. There are a lot of smart climate deniers, and they will use all their powers of confirmation bias to defeat you.

Well, if you include the positive feedback loops, it gets really complex, but its also alarmist to talk about a runaway greenhouse effect. 

I do not at all mean you can't separate individuals, I mean you can disentangle the organizations and tribalism that's grown up in the scientific community.

Like, I guarantee you 100% that you and virtually everyone else on your side who isn't an SME on climate believes in climate change/global warming because you identify as scientific, reasonable people, and all the thoughts and arguments supporting climate change are channeled through that belief. The evidence doesn't produce the belief, the belief summons the evidence. That's how the human mind works.

I used to be extremely skeptical of climate change a couple years ago. I changed my mind based on rebuttals I read. I had to agree with the I Fucking Love Science crowd, but they bumblefucked into being correct about something. 

Now, that doesn't mean the evidence is wrong or that the beliefs are wrong. It just means that people are ultimately products of their tribes. That's why Bill Nye does what he does.

Sometimes humans can get past that and do real science. And that's a beautiful thing. But the facts of human psychology mean this sort of thing is an absolute breeding ground for groupthink and cult-like behavior, and that sort of shit is anathema to good science.

By hating these idiots so much on every other issue, it must be impossible to accept that they can be right about something huh? 

9 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

*a bunch of rambly incoherent fragmented crap that I forgive you for because this convo has kinda gone off the rails and who knows what anyone is saying anyway*

So, I'm agnostic about climate change, just like I'm agnostic about everything that isn't "in my area". Hell, one could argue that small arms caliber configuration is "in my area" and I'm still agnostic about that, too.

The problem I see comes with the corruption that I see growing in the scientific world, and also the cult-like behavior we see from climate change/global warming proponents. I'm less worried about what the facts about climate are* than I am about the state of science. I think there are real things to be concerned about on that front. There's a lot of money in promoting these ideas (whether right or wrong), and I think the argument that this position is so viciously defended has a lot to do with the fact that people's jobs are tied to it is pretty compelling.

*Well, actually, I'm fairly worried about what the facts of climate are, which is why I'm more immediately worried by the fact that climate science looks like it's in danger of being unable to produce those facts because the Religion of Global Warming is swirling about in its natal maelstrom.

@Priory_of_Sion, when Sturge gets like this, there's no talking to him. He has this mode where when he figures out he's either bad/ignorant at something, to protect his ego he assumes the rest of the world is just as bad/ignorant about said issue. 

That's how he gets through the day. And then booze and video games gets him through the night. 

Don't take it too harshly. It is just his nature. You wouldn't blame a fox for being sly, or a worm for being slick, right? 

Does it mean you are a hopeless political junkie when - after 18 to 24 months of non-stop US Presidential coverage - I'm getting my fix by paying attention to French politics?

I fear at this rate, I'll be on a street corner, homeless, reading FiveThirtyEight polling on the election in Bhutan.

22 minutes ago, Donward said:

Does it mean you are a hopeless political junkie when - after 18 to 24 months of non-stop US Presidential coverage - I'm getting my fix by paying attention to French politics?

I fear at this rate, I'll be on a street corner, homeless, reading FiveThirtyEight polling on the election in Bhutan.

It is a slippery slope. You'll be jobless, then homeless, then offering dirty hand jobs behind gas stations just to hear the current recipient's opinions on the latest popularity polls for local dog-catchers. 

12 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

By the way, none of this lessens the fact that it's a gaffe. Yes, I'd say it's a gaffe. If this were Biden, I'd be howling with laughter (well I am already howling with laughter, but for somewhat different reasons). With Trump... Shit, what even is a gaffe anymore? If you gaffe your way into being elected President and boosting the economy, and strengthening border security and generally being hugely successful... Fuck, are those even gaffes at that point?

You have an odd understanding of the term "hugely successful."

12 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

So, I'm agnostic about climate change, just like I'm agnostic about everything that isn't "in my area". Hell, one could argue that small arms caliber configuration is "in my area" and I'm still agnostic about that, too.

The problem I see comes with the corruption that I see growing in the scientific world, and also the cult-like behavior we see from climate change/global warming proponents. I'm less worried about what the facts about climate are* than I am about the state of science. I think there are real things to be concerned about on that front. There's a lot of money in promoting these ideas (whether right or wrong), and I think the argument that this position is so viciously defended has a lot to do with the fact that people's jobs are tied to it is pretty compelling.

*Well, actually, I'm fairly worried about what the facts of climate are, which is why I'm more immediately worried by the fact that climate science looks like it's in danger of being unable to produce those facts because the Religion of Global Warming is swirling about in its natal maelstrom.

A completely unfalsifiable position that doesn't really care what is true and false is really cute, but completely worthless. 

If you come across something that actually debunks 150 odd years of science, let me know. 

A completely unfalsifiable position that doesn't really care what is true and false is really cute, but completely worthless. 

If you come across something that actually debunks 150 odd years of science, let me know. 

tyTc1Nl.jpg

7 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

What, really? Open your eyes, dude.

Even if I supported Trumps agenda, which I don't, I can't see how the first 100 days could be called a success.  Despite having a friendly congress he failed to get the Republican ACA replacement bill passed (although this might happen at some point), his executive orders regarding immigration were so poorly written that they have been blocked by federal judges and his approval ratings are historically low.  His foreign policy has been a series of mixed messages, causing concern to long standing allies.  His bombing of Syria essentially accomplished nothing other than to boost his poll numbers slightly.  And from what I have read, the lastest budget put forward by congress includes no funding for his wall.  And the daily drumbeat about allegations of collusion with the Russians, conflicts of interest, nepotism, and whitehouse in-fighting continue to fill the daily news.  Even getting his SOTUS nominee confirmed required the Senate modifying their own rules.  I suppose if you think massive deregulation of business is a good thing, you could chalk that up as a success for Trump.