Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

1 minute ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Even if I supported Trumps agenda, which I don't, I can't see how the first 100 days could be called a success.

I don't think there's a single president whose first 100 days could be considered a "success" unequivocally.

I was more referring to his life in business (regardless of how much more successful he could have been, he was still a very wealthy businessman - which is certainly one measure of success) and his overwhelming steamrolleresque success against all odds and opponents during the election.

25 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I don't think there's a single president whose first 100 days could be considered a "success" unequivocally.

I was more referring to his life in business (regardless of how much more successful he could have been, he was still a very wealthy businessman - which is certainly one measure of success) and his overwhelming steamrolleresque success against all odds and opponents during the election.

Ah, I got ya.  I thought you were referring specifically to his presidency thus far.  I would not argue that he has not been successful prior to 2017.

14 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Ah, I got ya.  I thought you were referring specifically to his presidency thus far.  I would not argue that he has not been successful prior to 2017.

To be fair, in my personal opinion Trump has so far been much more successful than his opponents said he would be, and much less successful than he promised he would be. However, Trump is a "promise big" kinda guy, so I think anyone paying attention shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't really lived up to his 100 day plan.

5 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

To be fair, in my personal opinion Trump has so far been much more successful than his opponents said he would be, and much less successful than he promised he would be. However, Trump is a "promise big" kinda guy, so I think anyone paying attention shouldn't be surprised that he hasn't really lived up to his 100 day plan.

I'd be willing to say that the failure on repeal and replace is more a failing of the Republican congress than Trump.  After seven years of complaining, they showed they had put far more work into demonizing the ACA than they had to coming up with a realistic replacement.  

For what it's worth, the vast majority of people (if not all) where I work agree that climate change is man made. There is some differences opinions on exactly how bad it is, but there's agreement that it's there.

Just for reference, I work with a bunch of nuclear engineers, who generally skew right-of-center politically.

I keep a rabidly leftist girl as a friend on facebook just to get her opinion on issues, and it is grand. 

The first I heard of the repeal was from her own mouth. 

Please pay attention.
Cancer, pregnancy, and sexual assault are considered preexisting conditions in this new bill. Individual states can choose not to cover these things and choose to charge you more because you are considered high risk. This is if you've -ever- been pregnant, sexually assaulted, or had cancer. 
CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES.
OUR HEALTH CARE NEEDS WORK BUT IF I GET RAPED AND MY STATE WANTS TO CHARGE ME MORE FOR MEDICAL CARE THAT'S NOT OK. IF MY FRIEND HENRY'S CANCER COMES BACK OR CAUSES HIM TO BE CHARGED MORE OR DENIED, THAT'S NOT OK.

Pretty sure cancer was a preexisting condition, no matter what health care plan you have.

I wonder how she affords her monthly health care costs, when she spends so much in hair dye and old cameras... 

3 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

I keep a rabidly leftist girl as a friend on facebook just to get her opinion on issues, and it is grand. 

The first I heard of the repeal was from her own mouth. 

Pretty sure cancer was a preexisting condition, no matter what health care plan you have.

I wonder how she affords her monthly health care costs, when she spends so much in hair dye and old cameras... 

Buying insurance with a pre-existing condition isn't buying insurance but buying benefits.

You can't buy life insurance for your wife after they died or buy house insurance after your house burn down.

Besides I thought trumpcare still covers pre-existing conditions but insurance companies have a higher price cap when covering them.

I've been having some "fun" arguing with fellow  leftists who keep on going with the racist/misogynist narrative.  The EC breakdown was pretty clear when you actually crunch numbers. Wisconsin and Michigan and a couple of other rust belt states is where she lost the EC.  And when you break it down by county it really comes down to about 150 000 - 200 000 votes in about a dozen economically depressed areas where Hillary barely campaigned...  And here's the kicker for me.  apparently, Bill fucking told them to campaign there.

Now, again, I don't think Trump is gonna be able to DO much of what he said he was going to do.  But he at least, didn't IGNORE the areas in question. He at least had some sound bites and rhetoric that vaguely made sense, especially in the coal mining dependent areas.

On the Trumpcare thing, I think it's going to be interesting to see how it works out. A lot of Trump voting states are going to get bit in the ass by that if it does pass with the current rules in place. I have several friends on FB who are terrified that they are basically going to end up loosing their houses and/or go bankrupt due to loss of coverage for pre-existing conditions, especially those that are struggling even with the ACA in place.

I hope t__a is right and it doesn't get past the Senate, for my friends sake anyway.

I'm not going to get into details but ObamaCare has been an absolute disaster for me and my family. And it is a situation we (as in my wife) has spent hundreds of man hours online and on the phone to try to rectify. For Mrs. The Captain, she has been forced onto a different health care plan every year. This is after she had - and paid out of pocket - for the same healthcare plan with the same health insurance provider - for almost two decades. So she spent her entire adult life taking responsibility for her own health care, making sacrifices at times to do the responsible adult thing to keep that health care coverage, and for thanks the Federal government throws her to the wolves.

And the whole "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" has been a complete and utter crock.