Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ending and consuming lifeforms

Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect

I'll keep it in mind. But tonight I started a small batch of jerky. I'll let it marinate overnight, then I'll start dehydrating it tomorrow. 

I may have overseasoned this batch, as I'm not used to eyeballing on such a small scale. 

What sort of recipe do you use, and do you use a dehydrator? Also, is there such a thing as wet jerky?

What sort of recipe do you use, and do you use a dehydrator? Also, is there such a thing as wet jerky?

Wet jerky? I mean... You could soak jerky and use it for stew I guess? 

I'm trying a different set of spices this time, trying a little carribean jerk style. That's why it's a smaller batch. Kind of a test to see if I like that flavor combination. But no, no set in stone recipe, just the spices I have on hand. 

Cracked pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, and any other dry spices you fancy. 

I actually don't own a dehydrator. But I do have an oven. I set the oven as low as it can go (170 F) and crack the door open with a spoon. Works the same as a dehydrator. 

Wet jerky? I mean... You could soak jerky and use it for stew I guess?

I'm trying a different set of spices this time, trying a little carribean jerk style. That's why it's a smaller batch. Kind of a test to see if I like that flavor combination. But no, no set in stone recipe, just the spices I have on hand.

Cracked pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, and any other dry spices you fancy.

I actually don't own a dehydrator. But I do have an oven. I set the oven as low as it can go (170 F) and crack the door open with a spoon. Works the same as a dehydrator.

Pity, I'm a fan of wet biltong myself and it's a bit hard to explain without an analogue. Also, I'm pretty sure that ovens are verboten for being too quick.

Anyway, the standard flavourants here are kosher salt, pepper and coriander.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So a colleague of mine recently asked what the difference between biltong and jerky is. We only know biltong, so I'm pretty stumped beyond jerky seeming to be on the dry/spicy side compared to biltong.

Has anyone here had both? 

• 1 year later...