Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The AMX-56 Cannot Sleep Thread

That’s Suspicious

ooooh, it sucks when you get that bad.  I've been there a few times. I usually resort to several stiff drinks and or 'herbal' remedy for that.  If it continues for long, you should go see a Doctor about it. They may end up doing a sleep test to see if it's something medical.

Barring access to alcohol, I'd recommend a hot bath and possibly something like Nytol.

Insomnia sucks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

5 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

ooooh, it sucks when you get that bad.  I've been there a few times. I usually resort to several stiff drinks and or 'herbal' remedy for that.  If it continues for long, you should go see a Doctor about it. They may end up doing a sleep test to see if it's something medical.

Barring access to alcohol, I'd recommend a hot bath and possibly something like Nytol.

Insomnia sucks. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

That's my problem man, I've had this issue this bad since I can remember and nothing they've done has helped. Several Comprehensive Sleep studies, Literally two dozen or so medications that don't work, yada yada. 

18 minutes ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

That's my problem man, I've had this issue this bad since I can remember and nothing they've done has helped. Several Comprehensive Sleep studies, Literally two dozen or so medications that don't work, yada yada.

That just plain sucks.  I wish I had some magic cure for you. Weed and booze are what I end up using a lot. :/

8 hours ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

Can someone please help me, I know it's not related but I suffer from insane Sleep Insomnia and i've actually not slept for three days straight now. I am beginning to hallucinate now and it's getting really bad.

Can you tell us more about the symptoms? Are you kept awake by mind racing, anxiety, etc?

29 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Can you tell us more about the symptoms? Are you kept awake by mind racing, anxiety, etc?

I have sleep restlessness, so when I try to go to sleep, God forbid I get that luxury, it's like my body will not stop moving. Then there is my trouble actually falling asleep, it's damn near impossible for me to fall asleep. I've literally done everything over the past 5 years that doctor's, and other people have told me to do and nothing works. Then there's me staying asleep, I usually wake up to piss or just wake up and boom, I am immediately energized and ready to go, even if it's 30min of sleep when staying up for 72hrs like I am now. I am both extremely tired and fatigued, yet I could run a triathlon and i'm very fidgety. Now however I am beginning to hallucinate a little, I've seen shit out of my peripheral vision, I think I've asked if my mom has called for me a few times, I'm beginning to not walk right, and I'm getting very pissed off. The problem is, even like this, sleep isn't even possible for me!!! It's actually killing me at this point man and it's making my life a whole lot harder than it already is.

2 hours ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

I have sleep restlessness, so when I try to go to sleep, God forbid I get that luxury, it's like my body will not stop moving. Then there is my trouble actually falling asleep, it's damn near impossible for me to fall asleep. I've literally done everything over the past 5 years that doctor's, and other people have told me to do and nothing works. Then there's me staying asleep, I usually wake up to piss or just wake up and boom, I am immediately energized and ready to go, even if it's 30min of sleep when staying up for 72hrs like I am now. I am both extremely tired and fatigued, yet I could run a triathlon and i'm very fidgety. Now however I am beginning to hallucinate a little, I've seen shit out of my peripheral vision, I think I've asked if my mom has called for me a few times, I'm beginning to not walk right, and I'm getting very pissed off. The problem is, even like this, sleep isn't even possible for me!!! It's actually killing me at this point man and it's making my life a whole lot harder than it already is.

Question: How regularly do you get exercise?

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

Question: How regularly do you get exercise?

Everyday!! If you saw what I looked like you'd see that I am pretty damn well built too. I have no idea why I am like this and literally everything done so far has done nothing and I've lived with it for a long time :( 

26 minutes ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

Everyday!! If you saw what I looked like you'd see that I am pretty damn well built too. I have no idea why I am like this and literally everything done so far has done nothing and I've lived with it for a long time :( 

Fucking bizarre mate. That's the end of what I can say, sadly.

28 minutes ago, Vanagandr said:

I used to have a really hard time sleeping, and still do occasionally. Like Bele said, alcohol can be a huge help if it's available. 

Do you have caffeine habits?

Well, alcohol isn't really something i'm both legally and morally inclined to use for that. I do consume caffeine, but not a lot and i've gone whole weeks drinking nothing but water and it's no different.

Working theory for my own sleep difficulties was that I had constantly elevated levels of epinephrine and catecholamines. I'd be hesitant to suggest any testing if doctors haven't already, but it seems hormone related to me.

It doesn't take a huge amount of alcohol to help with sleep and a lot of states will let minors consume alcohol with parental supervision and consent, not a realistic long term solution, granted. Something that may or may not have helped me was increasing caffeine consumption early in the day. Difficult to say if it actually helped or if it was just coincidence.

6 hours ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

Well, alcohol isn't really something i'm both legally and morally inclined to use for that. I do consume caffeine, but not a lot and i've gone whole weeks drinking nothing but water and it's no different.

I'm going to make a huge assumption here: I assume that your doctors have ruled out things like hyperthyroidism, chronic pain, allergies, sleep apnea and the like. If so, then perhaps we need to look at non-phisiological causes:

• Do you normally suffer from anxiety?
  • Are your work, studies or whatever stressful? Do you end up thinking about them when you are trying to go to bed at night?
  • Does your mind get stuck in 'loops' as you try to solve unsolvable problems in your head? Related; do you find things like lists and cleaning up/ordering your things relaxing?
  • Do you suffer from recurring nightmares? Related; are your nightmares bad enough so that you can't go back to sleep afterwards?
  • Do you have stress-reducing activities that you do every day: running, other exercise, meditation etc?
  • Do you practice sleep hygiene?

8 hours ago, Toxn said:

I'm going to make a huge assumption here: I assume that your doctors have ruled out things like hyperthyroidism, chronic pain, allergies, sleep apnea and the like. If so, then perhaps we need to look at non-phisiological causes:

• Do you normally suffer from anxiety?
  • Are your work, studies or whatever stressful? Do you end up thinking about them when you are trying to go to bed at night?
  • Does your mind get stuck in 'loops' as you try to solve unsolvable problems in your head? Related; do you find things like lists and cleaning up/ordering your things relaxing?
  • Do you suffer from recurring nightmares? Related; are your nightmares bad enough so that you can't go back to sleep afterwards?
  • Do you have stress-reducing activities that you do every day: running, other exercise, meditation etc?
  • Do you practice sleep hygiene?

Yes I do suffer from anxiety pretty bad and have for quite some time, especially now due to a recent course of events which has taken a extreme toll on my body mentally and emotionally.

Work was, however I am not allowed a job anymore due too me being homebound for school work; they prohibit me having a job because of that.

My mind has a horrible issue with getting stuck in loops, and that is a issue that i've had for as long as I remember.

I don't suffer from recurring nightmares, but it is something I do experience from time to time. I do have non-stop "Day Nightmares?" If you could call them that. It's basically I always dwell on past or current events and think of the worst possible situations or outcomes and basically just that for days on end. I rarely have peace of mind.

Yes and no, I do try to get as much running in my day as possible, even if that means I don't go outside. Example would be when I get out from what I was doing, I usually just run to wherever I go, be it the kitchen or bathroom. I am a avid runner and I do run, walk, or just am more active than most.

Yes I do to a extent.

Also thank you for making this it's own separate entity. This is something I have been struggling with for as long as I can remember and it's something I have either gotten no help in, some help but to no avail, or just put off because I am "too difficult." My story is honestly quite barbaric and I suffer from quite a lot of mental health issues and I just can't help that it's impossible for me to sleep :( So I do appreciate all help that you guys give too me. This is honestly more valuable to me than help from doctors because now they just don't even try. 

1 hour ago, AMX-56 Leclerc said:

Also thank you for making this it's own separate entity. This is something I have been struggling with for as long as I can remember and it's something I have either gotten no help in, some help but to no avail, or just put off because I am "too difficult." My story is honestly quite barbaric and I suffer from quite a lot of mental health issues and I just can't help that it's impossible for me to sleep :( So I do appreciate all help that you guys give too me. This is honestly more valuable to me than help from doctors because now they just don't even try. 

The problem is that a lot of this stuff falls within the realm of psychiatry and psychology; ie the place where diagnosis is difficult and treatments often ineffective or actively harmful.

Having said the above, let me preface my advice with the following: I am no expert and I might be full of shit. Don't unquestioningly take advice from strangers on the internet. And do be aware that the best advice is also often maddening mundane and requires long-term changes that are at once trivial and impossible. With that said:

Firstly, what you are going through sounds similar to stuff my wife deals with. Her solution has been to embrace order, organisation and exercise, but I think she would also be the first to tell you that this is a partial solution.

So if I extrapolate from my experience, I think part of issue is that what comforts you is a sense of control over events. I say 'issue' because while this is a good thing (seriously, being organised is a superpower in terms of achieving goals) the other side is that the more you embrace this the more you will tend to fall off the rails when plans go wrong.

So my second suggestion is that you need to also practice letting go. Meditation helps here, if you can manage it. Simply sit somewhere quiet, close your eyes, focus on an external stimulus (wind noise is convenient for me) and let your thoughts flow through your mind without grasping them. Do this for as long as you can manage.

I also like art, building things, pottery, making bows and so on but that shit is subjective in terms of stress reduction.

Combine these approaches (along with as much relaxed real-world social interaction as possible) and build your life with a view to the long term. I assume that you are still young - remember that habits formed now can last a lifetime. So plan out as much stress reduction, exercise etc as you can into your life now.

4 hours ago, Toxn said:

The problem is that a lot of this stuff falls within the realm of psychiatry and psychology; ie the place where diagnosis is difficult and treatments often ineffective or actively harmful.

That's another issue, due to my situation at hand, we rarely if ever get into a psychiatrist or psychologist. We've actually been denied services and recently we had a mishap at a place of which we waited 1 month to get into. I either get denied, told to fuck off, or no response.

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

Having said the above, let me preface my advice with the following: I am no expert and I might be full of shit. Don't unquestioningly take advice from strangers on the internet. And do be aware that the best advice is also often maddening mundane and requires long-term changes that are at once trivial and impossible. With that said:

Firstly, what you are going through sounds similar to stuff my wife deals with. Her solution has been to embrace order, organisation and exercise, but I think she would also be the first to tell you that this is a partial solution.

So if I extrapolate from my experience, I think part of issue is that what comforts you is a sense of control over events. I say 'issue' because while this is a good thing (seriously, being organised is a superpower in terms of achieving goals) the other side is that the more you embrace this the more you will tend to fall off the rails when plans go wrong.

So my second suggestion is that you need to also practice letting go. Meditation helps here, if you can manage it. Simply sit somewhere quiet, close your eyes, focus on an external stimulus (wind noise is convenient for me) and let your thoughts flow through your mind without grasping them. Do this for as long as you can manage.

I also like art, building things, pottery, making bows and so on but that shit is subjective in terms of stress reduction.

Combine these approaches (along with as much relaxed real-world social interaction as possible) and build your life with a view to the long term. I assume that you are still young - remember that habits formed now can last a lifetime. So plan out as much stress reduction, exercise etc as you can into your life now.

You've hit on a lot of things there man. I have a daily routine that I more or less have to abide by. I.E. taking a shower right after I make the bed, drinking out of my cup and my cup alone, using the same plate, etc. I do try meditation and calmness exercises, however these do not seem to work in my experience :(  I've again lived a very terrible life so far with many events taking place very recently and are still on-going.