Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Iranian new MBT “Karrar”‘s new TV show and some detail i notice

Akula_941

12 March fresh new video here

just so many of good footage,praise the IRINN.IR

mrvZn5w.png

so,Karrar MBT aka T-90MS mod 2017 Iranian limited Edition 2.0

Has finally have a bit long TV report,and what is this?

MdvMt8n.png

when i see this ‘barrel protective case’ thing,the only thing in my mind is

"NO,T-72I4! It's him! He is Back!"

ydDLuG9.jpg

x7FF5yS.png

but after watch the video i pretty sure it's nothing but reference ~

first noticed difference is the ERA kit

wH9mUlU.png

Karrar 'ERA kit is smaller, have 6 plate on each slide front

compare to T-90MS 's 4 larger size Relikt ERA

2be44234dc4a278d09947ae3b6a893ec.jpg

the thickness of the ERA are pretty close so i guess it's just the smaller new Relikt variant

xEglcTq.png

RCWS/Commander panoramic sight Station

huge muzzle brake but it seems just a 7.62mm RCWS,but looks cool

T-90MS_remote_controlled_wepon_system_6P

also the sight itself looks a cheaper product compare to T-90MS

f8COcSw.png

BN7mbf8.png

Digital map,commanding system and Vehicle information Display 

this is pretty good, Karrar may have the best digital equipment in all Iranian tanks,not even Zulfiqar-3

YnjpKJ7.png

normal vision channal of the commander sight

for the gunner,i noticed something interesting

q21DozG.png

now this is something new, the Karrar have a whole new gunner sight,so obviously the new gunner sighting system is not simply rip-off from russian

but the really interesting thing is, it keeps the 1K13,which compare to T-90MS removed 1A45 completely and replaced by Sosna-U and a back up sight

untitled-1-copy2.jpg

why is this?  @Lightning think, that Iran hasn't prepare or able to create their own laser guide coding equipment,if they want to use 9K120 ATGM system,they need keep the 1K13 for laser coding

which i found is a high possibility that could be true

jymtZ4d.png

karrar‘s gunner displayer compare to T-90MS

t90ms_fcs.jpg

let's expect more information of this tank in the future

ZV9E03J.png

MM said that. But the EFCS-3, as he said, lacks some of the features seen on the new sight. And the new sight was likely newly developed in Iran.

Given that I have not seen a similar looking FCS yet on other tanks, or in the portfolios of the companies I have checked, it does seem likely that it was newly developed.

Yuri Lyamin's LJ post on a subject:

The presentation ceremony was held in Tehran in the presence of the Minister of Defense and Logistics of the Armed Forces of Iran, General Hossein Dehgan, and it was also announced that the serial production begins at the industrial complex Bani-Hashem near the town of Dorud in the province of Lorestan.
   As I wrote earlier, the Karrar tank itself seems to be a modernized version of the T-72. Actually a tank factory near the city of Dorud was built with the help of Russia in the 1990s. It was building licensed T-72S from the components supplied from Russia. After the break of contracts of the supply of tanks parts by Russia to Iran in accordance with the agreement of the Gore-Chernomyrdin of 1995, the factory mainly engaged in the overhaul and modernization of old AFVs.

Official Iranian MoD photos

1055203_1000.jpg

1056716_1000.jpg

1055251_1000.jpg

1055504_1000.jpg

1055923_1000.jpg

1056030_1000.jpg

1056422_1000.jpg

1054850_1000.jpg

P.S. Judging by the pictures from the tank factory, it looks like it is really a mass production. But still I would like to see them in the troops in notable quantities. In Iran, the presidential elections on the nose, during this period they are always trying to demonstrate achievements, but ususally there are often problems with serial production/modernization [of new vehicles].
   On frames from video of the factory, a completely new welded turret for new tanks can be seen, in contrast to the cast, which was on the T-72.

hEFrb.png

1057319_original.png

C6tp5nTXUAAN1wl.jpg

1057771_original.png

1057868_original.png

13 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

MM said that. But the EFCS-3, as he said, lacks some of the features seen on the new sight. And the new sight was likely newly developed in Iran.

Given that I have not seen a similar looking FCS yet on other tanks, or in the portfolios of the companies I have checked, it does seem likely that it was newly developed.

On otvaga forum members think that it is Iranian upgraded version of sight from Slovenian "Fotona" company.

Also, more footage. In the middle part you can see a bit more about sights of the tank and RCWS. RCWS sight can move in limited arc, separe from where HMG is facing.

I6JEKaj.jpg

Some thoughts: at first when Karrar was shown i and many people on Russian military-related forums assumed that this was UVZ-aided developed "Iranian" T-90MS or simply re-painted MS, that was done as part of UVZ attempt to sell their product to Iran using refreshed relationships after Russian operation in Syria begun. Cooler heads on this forum like SH_MM pointed out that it was more likely to be Iranian attempt to make their own upgrade for T-72S or just a PR stunt.

GurKhan things that it was made in attempt to use it as a pressure during "probable" UVZ-Iran negotiations to buy T-90MS tanks. There is alo another version that Karrar is product that Iranian industry will use to secure internal AFV market by not giving UVZ free access ("why we need to be T-90MS from Russians if we can make basically same vehicle here on our own?"). Third view is that this vehicle is attempt to catch-up with other nations in the region in terms of AFV capabilities.

Some differences between T-90MS and Karrar: no laser sensors and muzzle reference system on Karrar, different FCS sensors of air condictions, secondary sight for GL-ATGMs is not presented on T-90MS as main gunner sight have this capability build in. Engine on Karrar looks like to be V-84.

Charly015 made a pic comparing Karrar with T-90MS externally

ir%25C3%25A1n%2Btanque%2Bkarrar%2Bcomparaci%25C3%25B3n.jpg

14 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

On otvaga forum members think that it is Iranian upgraded version of sight from Slovenian "Fotona" company.

Also, more footage. In the middle part you can see a bit more about sights of the tank and RCWS. RCWS sight can move in limited arc, separe from where HMG is facing.

I6JEKaj.jpg

Some thoughts: at first when Karrar was shown i and many people on Russian military-related forums assumed that this was UVZ-aided developed "Iranian" T-90MS or simply re-painted MS, that was done as part of UVZ attempt to sell their product to Iran using refreshed relationships after Russian operation in Syria begun. Cooler heads on this forum like SH_MM pointed out that it was more likely to be Iranian attempt to make their own upgrade for T-72S or just a PR stunt.

GurKhan things that it was made in attempt to use it as a pressure during "probable" UVZ-Iran negotiations to buy T-90MS tanks. There is alo another version that Karrar is product that Iranian industry will use to secure internal AFV market by not giving UVZ free access ("why we need to be T-90MS from Russians if we can make basically same vehicle here on our own?"). Third view is that this vehicle is attempt to catch-up with other nations in the region in terms of AFV capabilities.

lol, Britain still uses the Chieftain apparently. 

10 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

TaPtlpBbI4Q.jpg

What's up with the handprints on the barrel? 

Seeing how this is based off the T-90 and not the M47 Patton or FV101, I can see the Iranians wanting to actually produce this in limited numbers. Maybe they'd give them to an IRGC armored unit to parade around in, kinda like the Zulfiqar. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Fresh picture of Karrar

685601.jpg

Some changes that are visible - what looks like barrel reference system and 2 (probably) laser sensors on "edges" of frontal ERA, T-90M style. Mast on turret roof with laser sensor also have changes, but i can't say what it is now or what exactly was done with it from this pic.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...