Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Get out of here! This is a STALKER thread. I said come in!

Ulric

Well, in addition to selling grenades that you can dupe into existence, I found another financial exploit in Lost Alpha.

You can talk to other stalkers through your PDA, sometimes to buy things, sometimes to sell things, sometimes to tell a joke, etc. If you hunt around, you can find a stalker that is willing to sell you something that another stalker wants to buy from you. The seller is usually asking for a higher price than the buyer, so at first it seems like you are just going to lose money. Well, it turns out that in addition to the laws of thermodynamics, the zone warps economic laws as well. Both the seller and the buyer are willing to make the deal at over inflated prices, so once you get the item for the stalker, you can immediately buy it back from him for less than what he payed you to get it. The items I was playing with was getting me a 1000ru reward, and cost me 510ru to buy back. Additionally, once you buy the item back from the stalker, he suddenly finds himself in need of one, and you can set up another meeting via your PDA to sell him the same item that you just bought from him for an inflated price. I also discovered that the game will not let NPC stalkers go into debt, so you can just rinse and repeat until you have any amount of money that you need.

Also, this description cracks me up.

LOknqCa.jpg

6 minutes ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Is sinusoidal rifling actually a thing? Seems like it wouldn't work very well.

It might be a translation-derp of rounded-profile rifling, like this:

https://data.epo.org/publication-server/image?imageName=imgaf001&docId=7820461

Presumably the rifling twists the same way all the way down the bore...

There's a lot of wank about different rifling profiles, and basically it doesn't matter.  According to Julian Hatcher's tests in the 1930s, .30-06 loses about 1% of the cartridge's energy to friction with the rifling, and that figure goes down as you scale up.  The highest estimate I've ever seen for energy loss from bore/bullet friction is 3% for 5.56 NATO.  So, if you invented some super-duper rifling that caused 1/1000th the drag of regular rifling the improvement on muzzle velocity would be... somewhat above the level of statistical noise.

50 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

It might be a translation-derp of rounded-profile rifling, like this:

https://data.epo.org/publication-server/image?imageName=imgaf001&docId=7820461

Presumably the rifling twists the same way all the way down the bore...

There's a lot of wank about different rifling profiles, and basically it doesn't matter.  According to Julian Hatcher's tests in the 1930s, .30-06 loses about 1% of the cartridge's energy to friction with the rifling, and that figure goes down as you scale up.  The highest estimate I've ever seen for energy loss from bore/bullet friction is 3% for 5.56 NATO.  So, if you invented some super-duper rifling that caused 1/1000th the drag of regular rifling the improvement on muzzle velocity would be... somewhat above the level of statistical noise.

A percent or two of total cartridge energy is still significant - the projectile only gets like a third of that, so if the energy of the projectile goes from 30% to 32% for example then that's a ~7% increase in muzzle energy. That is still assuming an absurd improvement in rifling efficiency, but it's worth looking into at least

• 2 months later...

2004 E3 footage of Stalker with mostly old engine. 

From 6:02 you can see a combat with military patrol. I wish release version had such active AI. 

At 10:20 you also can see pretty neat thing - when player see a second stalker (left one), that AI shout to player to drop his weapon, waits for a second and then kills player after he did not dropped his gun.

2005 footage, on a new engine

16 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Agreed.

Also forgot to tell that voice acting in both videos during fights is spot on. Especially in second video from 2005 E3. After many "Western" shooters with "russians" that can't pronounce "granata", everything said in those vids sound realistic.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...