Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

How to tell the difference between T-90 and T-90A

MrMartin

Guide "How to tell the difference between T-90 and T-90A".

These are the most visible differences between T-90 and T-90A.

I made this guide because I haven't seen any on this topic and majority of people don't even know there are these two variants (there are more) or don't know what is different between them, so I wanted to enlighten people.

This guide is not 100% true because there are some "hybrid" T-90 which incorporate parts from both models, for example T-90A chassis (body, new tracks and engine)

with T-90 cast turret = T-90K http://live.warthunder.com/post/599752/en/

I didn't incorporated export(T-90S) models because they can be distinguished very easily by the complete lack of Shtora-1 EOCMDAS or by the missing MTShU-1-7 modulator such as T-90SA for Algeria, Armenia and Azerbaijan.

I am open to any suggestion or to constructive criticism. 

I hope this will help.

pasy1.jpg

T-72_tracks.jpg

pasy%20t-90.png

5555.jpg

veza1.jpgveza%20bok.jpg

veze%20vrch%20real1.jpg

Veze%20vrch.png

Visual differences between T-90A and T-90K.

T-90K - Commander version

Cast turret (T-90) with 2 antennas + new tracks and more powerful V-92S2 engine (T-90A) = T-90K

Only two such tanks were produced. (false information)

Visually, the T-90K can be recognized by two antennas, as it has additional means of communication (the R-163-50K radioset) and navigation equipment (the TNA-4-3). 
It differs from T-90 with its new tracks and more powerful V-92S2 engine from T-90A.

It differs from T-90A with its cast turret.

T-90A.jpg

T-90K.jpg

T-90K for the first time was presented at the Moscow exhibition of arms of land forces in 2008.
And since then it disappeared from view. 

About 6 months ago this tank was spotted in Syria in hands of the Syrian Arab Army.

15 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Thanks again for an informative post.

Now, I must ask, why did the T-90K never enter production. Do platoon/company commanders just roll in regular T-90A, or is there a commander version of it called T-90KA or AK?

Thank you!

Sorry but I don't know the answers to your questions.

I wish I knew it because I am interested in it too.

There is very little available information about this tank. 

Supposedly there are some T-90AK tanks but I don't know if it's true but maybe @LoooSeR know something more about it.

EDIT : After my little research I think that the information about only 2 pieces of T-90K were produced is false.  

tabulka.jpg

tabulka%20tanky.jpg

source: http://alternathistory.com/osnovnoi-boevoi-tank-rossii-t-90?mini=calendar%2F2015-10

1. T-90

2. T-90S (no Shtora)

3. T-90K

4. T-90A

5. T-90

6. T-90K

7. T-90A

8. T-90K

9. T-90A

10. T-90S/T-90 Bhisma 

I'd like to point out that on T-90As, the smoke grenade launchers on the vehicle's right side do remain in a single fixture of 6, not 4+2 on the turret top.

1 hour ago, Scolopax said:
  Hide contents

1. T-90

2. T-90S (no Shtora)

3. T-90K

4. T-90A

5. T-90

6. T-90K

7. T-90A

8. T-90K

9. T-90A

10. T-90S/T-90 Bhisma 

I'd like to point out that on T-90As, the smoke grenade launchers on the vehicle's right side do remain in a single fixture of 6, not 4+2 on the turret top.

Spoiler

You did very good but 8th and 9th answer are not entirely correct. These two are tricky and that's why I chose them.

9. It's T-90SA because of missing MTShU-1-7 modulator from Shtora-1 system and that tank serves in Azerbaijani Armed Forces.

t90.jpg

10. Your answer is true but if you look at the picture more closely you will see second antenna right in front of gunners hatch (next to IR light).

Second antenna tells us that it's a commander tank. In this case it's T-90SK.

RIGHT ANSWERS - SPOILER ALERT 

Smoke grenade configuration on the vehicle's right side is the same on T-90, T-90K and T-90A(every T-90) so it was not a difference.

Thanks I should have mentioned that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7. 7. 2017 at 8:32 PM, chihab said:

The new batch of Algerian tanks T-90 owns a welded turret and a complete Shtora-1 system .

They are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

"...complete Shtora-1 system."

It isn't exactly true because they are missing the MTShU-1-7 modulator (boxes behind the Shtora lights).

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of the secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of the newer Shtora-1 system.

18 minutes ago, MrMartin said:

9hey are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

It isn't exactly true because they are missing the MTShU-1-7 modulator (boxes behind the Shtora lights).

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of newer Shtora-1 system.

My mistake the Algerian tank does not have a complete Shtora-1 

for the Syrian tank it is not a export version .. it is the Russian T90A  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2017 at 8:29 PM, MrMartin said:

They are called T-90SA because there isn't any other name known for it.

I don't know why they don't have them and what purpose does it serve. It can't be because of the secret technology(Syrian T-90s have it). I think it could be because of the newer Shtora-1 system.

We were wrong
System modules are integrated
Algerian tanks have full Shtora-1

tshu-1-7m_4.jpg

• 1 month later...