Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Crossout thread.

I dunno how much longevity it will have with me, but it's kinda fun and easy to pick up.  And it's free. So there is that.  It's literally Mad Max vehicle combat simulation 2017. I'm currently driving a pickup with a shotgun turret on the hood and two mmgs on the roof, and a radar.  It's not SRSBZNS.  I'm new to the game and have had the most kills on my team so far 3-4 games. I've also died horribly a number of times. Listening in on Cawli and Tekky-nub playing was hilarious enough that I thought it was worth a download.

1 hour ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Reposting it here since it was in that WoT thread, but for those who have experience with this game, how should I deal with guys running drones?  It at least feels to me like those things just tear you apart.

From my limited experience shotguns seem to wreck drones

12 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Also playing, but very much a beginner at this point.

I'm level 7 at the moment, but I bought a pre-order pack to try it out during the Alpha/Closed Beta so I got a pretty nice vehicle at the moment.

But the XP grind is so retardedly slow it's not even funny anymore.

3 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

I'm level 7 at the moment, but I bought a pre-order pack to try it out during the Alpha/Closed Beta so I got a pretty nice vehicle at the moment.

But the XP grind is so retardedly slow it's not even funny anymore.

I was complaining to my wife the other day that all these games seem to be designed around users who spend 3+ hours a day on them.

Which sucks, because I have an hour every few days (at best) to spend on games. So, for instance, I've been playing WT for years now and still haven't got halfway up the tech tree for any nation.

I'll be a bit bleak if I'm still playing with baby MGs and bakkie bits on crossout a year from now.

3 minutes ago, Toxn said:

I was complaining to my wife the other day that all these games seem to be designed around users who spend 3+ hours a day on them.

Which sucks, because I have an hour every few days (at best) to spend on games. So, for instance, I've been playing WT for years now and still haven't got halfway up the tech tree for any nation.

I'll be a bit bleak if I'm still playing with baby MGs and bakkie bits on crossout a year from now.

You can actually buy weapons others have made, but you have to pay with ingame gold, so it'll cost ya.

Good/interesting thing is that there is no real end-game content for as far as I can see. So if the goal is to just derp around in ridiculous vehicles, who cares if you're low level? 

26 minutes ago, Bronezhilet said:

You can actually buy weapons others have made, but you have to pay with ingame gold, so it'll cost ya.

Good/interesting thing is that there is no real end-game content for as far as I can see. So if the goal is to just derp around in ridiculous vehicles, who cares if you're low level? 

Fair enough. 

I'll see if I can join your clan.

2 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

Yep. It's fun as is for me, and no real goals that I care about so far.  Matchmaking seems pretty solid as well.

kharron is my name in game. 

Something that already really is getting on my nerves is how a defeat means you get basically no rewards from that battle at all, both in terms of exp and the other goodies.

Grinding out fuel and copper is also very obnoxious, as well as the currency to get the crafting slots.  I guess they decided that the grind in WT was a good thing that was worth carrying over to other games.

3 minutes ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Something that already really is getting on my nerves is how a defeat means you get basically no rewards from that battle at all, both in terms of exp and the other goodies.

Grinding out fuel and copper is also very obnoxious, as well as the currency to get the crafting slots.  I guess they decided that the grind in WT was a good thing that was worth carrying over to other games.

For fuel, just put a couple of fuel drums on your vehicle.  But then again, I'm a newbiew who doesn't really know what I'm doing, and I'm not grinding for anything seriously.  I have 15 fuel sitting in my inventory that I don't know what to do with yet. I'm thinking the economy may need to be tweaked a bit.  The whole 'rested' vs 'not rested' thing annoys me a bit.  It feels like you are being penalized for playing the game for longer  periods of time.  Unless there is a way to 'rest' while in game.

16 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

For fuel, just put a couple of fuel drums on your vehicle.  But then again, I'm a newbiew who doesn't really know what I'm doing, and I'm not grinding for anything seriously.  I have 15 fuel sitting in my inventory that I don't know what to do with yet. I'm thinking the economy may need to be tweaked a bit.  The whole 'rested' vs 'not rested' thing annoys me a bit.  It feels like you are being penalized for playing the game for longer  periods of time.  Unless there is a way to 'rest' while in game.

Yeah, you get 400% XP for the first daily 60.000 XP. Which nice, but it isn't explained anywhere. My XP gains completely tanked after a few matches and I wondered why. Literally had to Google to find out about the 60k XP thing.

OK, here's what I've figured out so far:

-Hit "F" to enable voxel grid visibility when constructing your vehicle.  This makes it a lot easier.

-The game opens up a lot at level 10.  A bunch of new weapons and gameplay options become available.

-The 40 fuel raids are worth a lot more than the 20 fuel raids.

Other tips and mechanics stuff:

-You need the fuel resource to go on the PVE raids.  The fuel system is a little complicated, but it's well worth learning because you can make quick cash with it.  There is a fuel meter in the upper right hand corner of your interface.  Your max fuel starts at 40 or something, but increases as you level up.  You will earn fuel in PVP if your vehicle has a fuel tank and if your vehicle's fuel tank survives the battle.  Multiple fuel tanks of the same type don't stack, and they do explode when hit hard enough, so it's not a good idea to carry more than one.  If you don't fill your tank with the fuel after each battle, it will go into your inventory.  Also, your fuel tank will re-fill completely every 24 hours.  You can sell fuel once you hit 100 units of it, and it's one of the most valuable items that you can grind at low levels, so it's worth considering.  You can take fuel from your inventory and put it in your fuel tank for PVE missions, but you cannot take the PVE fuel tank fuel and put it into your inventory.

-Vehicles die when their cabins run out of hit points.  Most structural parts add hit points to the cabin, and if they don't it is noted in the construction tooltip.  From my testing, if you shoot structural parts off, those hit points are deducted from the cabin, so I'm not sure that it's as important to completely shield the cabin with parts as many players would have you believe.  Shielding weapons does seem worthwhile, however.

-The mobility mechanics aren't explained anywhere, but near as I can tell, here's how they work.  Your vehicle's top speed is determined by your cabin's top speed.  Your top speed will also be reduced if you use legs or tracks instead of wheels.  As you add more and more parts, your vehicle will loose acceleration, but keep the same top speed.  You can restore the acceleration by adding an engine module, but the engines do not appear to improve top speed.

-If you are making a six-wheeled vehicle with pivoting wheels in the front and rear, make sure to place the rear pair of wheels closer to the middle pair of wheels than the middle pair of wheels are to the front pair.  If you don't, your vehicle will have a tendency to oversteer and drift.

-The unpowered melee weapons like the bumpers and the knives only deal increased damage during ramming.  The powered ones like the chainsaws deal damage continuously.  The mine-type melee weapons (bomb-on-a-stick looking things) are one-shot, but they deal oodles of damage when they do connect.

-The damage numbers shown over enemy vehicles when you hit them are compressed for some number of game ticks and are rounded to the nearest whole number, but they are tracked fractionally.  This is significant for machine guns, as you might be doing more or less damage than you think you are due to the rounding.  Also, don't be fooled, the basic machine guns do not have damage increase per second, the reason your damage numbers are going up is that you're seeing damage from multiple ticks compressed into a single display.

-If you see yellow numbers above the enemy when you hit them, that means you hit their cabin.  This is a good thing.

Any idea when the damage increase from radiators overtakes the damage increase from just adding more guns?

My current build is a 4-kord truck (reallly low level) so I'm wondering at what point increasing my cooldown is a better option than just slapping an extra kord on.