Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Back-Breeding Therocephalians

Sturgeon

I generally don't approve of dachshunds, given that my mean German grandma taught hers to growl at us whenever we moved on the couch and to yap whenever someone approached the front door.

But as a member of the male species, I have to admire the spirit and gumption of the sneaky dachshund who was able to nut up and breed a bitch five times his size, thus ensuring that his DNA would be passed down at least one more generation.

I have three dogs, one of which is a beagle/bull dog mix.  He is a ridiculous creature.  He was at the shelter for several months, no one was interested in him.  My wife felt bad for him so we took him in.  He is actually a very good dog, but he is pretty much useless for any practical purpose.  As he has gotten older, I fear he will fall down the stairs and hurt himself.  Those little bull dog legs are not very practical.  Why someone would breed a beagle with a bull dog, I have no idea. 

IMG_20111116_103048.jpg

I have three dogs, one of which is a beagle/bull dog mix. He is a ridiculous creature. He was at the shelter for several months, no one was interested in him. My wife felt bad for him so we took him in. He is actually a very good dog, but he is pretty much useless for any practical purpose. As he has gotten older, I fear he will fall down the stairs and hurt himself. Those little bull dog legs are not very practical. Why someone would breed a beagle with a bull dog, I have no idea.

IMG_20111116_103048.jpg

Awww...

Does he always look like he's been scolded?

While there pretty much seems to be a consensus on how domesticated dogs came about, camp followers scrounging for scraps at the edges of ancient human camps and settlements, there still is plenty of debate where and when this occured, whether it was 15,000 or 30,000 years ago and in Asia or the Middle East.

With the revolution of mitochondrial DNA mapping and 3-D computer X-ray analysis, it makes the old days of archaeology with calipers and plaster of Paris casts seem as primitive as the dark ages.

http://www.skidmore.edu/news/2015/0205-drake-publishes-new-canine-research.php

http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150205/srep08299/full/srep08299.html

http://www.archive.archaeology.org/1009/dogs/

I guess the real question is whether dogs were first harnessed by Paleolithic nomad hunter gatherers who would use them as a beast of burden to help carry meat, bones and shelters much like the American Indians on the Great Plains?

Or were dogs first domesticated by early farmers who then traded (or had stolen) dogs to nomadic hunters?

The former is the traditional and - to me - the most romantic view. But those aren't always the correct ones.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Akitas are wonderful dogs.

I see Bad Vlad's is trained to strike terror in the hearts of his enemies.

They are indeed. Mrs. The Captain and her family are the Akita experts and I married into being owned by a pair of them. I had been used to Irish Wolfhounds, German Shepherds and Labs so it took awhile for me to learn the ways of the Akita.

They are indeed. Mrs. The Captain and her family are the Akita experts and I married into being owned by a pair of them. I had been used to Irish Wolfhounds, German Shepherds and Labs so it took awhile for me to learn the ways of the Akita.

We took care of an Akita when I was a squirt working as child labor for the local humane society. Made a big impression on me, those dogs have a lot of spirit and personality.

True facts, a crazy room mate of my Ex's a few years back had a $4000 akita. Poor thing was kept in a cage most of the time and starved for attention. (One of the many reasons this woman was clinically, financially, emotionally, and spiritually insane, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms)

Well it loved my dog. And my dog loved it... to a point. The Akita weighed 30 pounds more than my dog (55 compared to 85) and would play and play and play with my dog. 

One dog can only handle so much, and mine got grumpy towards the end of the day. 

I'm getting out of the shower and I see my dog has pinned the akita to the ground  by her neck. The akita was whimpering, and my dog was looking me in the eye. 

His expression looked like, "Dad, let me do this. Let me break this bitch's neck. Please oh please let me kill this stupid fucking cunt bitch please please please." 

I called him off, but luckily for him the akita didn't want to play anymore. 

• 10 months later...