Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Worst Reactor Accident in US History

Not Three Mile Island (which was laughably insignificant compared to popular reception), but SL-1.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed1_1387144246&use_old_player=0

Protip: Don't design reactors with a single control rod.

If you do design a reactor with a single control rod, don't move the control rod with your bare hands. A fatal case of Impaled-to-the-Ceiling Syndrome may result.

Not Three Mile Island (which was laughably insignificant compared to popular reception), but SL-1.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ed1_1387144246&use_old_player=0

Protip: Don't design reactors with a single control rod.

If you do design a reactor with a single control rod, don't move the control rod with your bare hands. A fatal case of Impaled-to-the-Ceiling Syndrome may result.

That must have been extra fun to clean up.

• 1 year later...

A dramatized account of the SL-1 Accident;

It's not perfect, but it's pretty solid for a film made by a random member of the public (especially on $5k budget).

Also, contrary to what I've previously posted, SL-1 actually had more than one control rod. It's just that the reactor design didn't satisfy the stuck rod criterion, so removal of the most important control rod was enough to send it prompt critical.

The Army fucked something up? NO!

Rickover might have been a colossal asshole and probably stayed in the military for too long (by the Reagan administration he was almost certainly past his sell by date), but he did a damn good job getting naval reactors going and making safety a permanent cultural thing. If K-19 had happened on an American sub, it probably would have set back US sub technology 10-15 years. (I doubt it would have killed it, because once shit like Yankees, Victors, and Alfas are running around the US military is going to get over any anti-nuclear antipathy to avoid getting completely owned by the Soviets.)