Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Merkava, Israel's Chieftain?

Life_In_Black

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

SH_MM looks like was talking about laser receiver/sensors on top of the turret, that's why I pointed at devices specifically. 

Yes, my bad. That happens when someone quotes just a single picture where the optics are covered... the other ones from the previous page make it obvious that this wasn't the topic of the discussion.

Well, at least somebody gave a good answer to what it is. I was asking this question at several places in Russian and English-speaking part of internet and majity did not know what it was exactly, but conclusion was that it might have been observation system.

https://below-the-turret-ring.blogspot.ru/2017/06/merkava-with-ears-its-alwacs.html

In fact the upgraded Merkava II and Merkava III tanks are fitted with the advanced laser warning and countermeasure system (ALWACS), which is made by the local manufacturer Elbit Systems. The ALWACS is a softkill active protection system (APS)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 6/21/2017 at 9:35 PM, SH_MM said:

Laser warning sensors from Elbit Systems. Also used on other Merkava variants, the British Ajax and the TAM 2C upgrade.

lws.png

Sorry Zuk, it may be dead, but while we're talking.... is this the same as used on the Achzarit with "droid" mast?