Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Current Reads Thread

Sturgeon

Going to start the newest Jack Ryan novel that Greenly wrote, presumably from notes left over.  Will see how the writing stacks up. After co-writing for Clancy, maybe Greenly can be the spiritual successor to Clancy.

So let me guess. Jack Ryan goes back in time to stop a Russian nationalist from planting a nuclear device at the 1985 Geneva Summit, blowing up Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev. There he teams up with Captain Marko Ramius who was attached as a liaison for the Red Fleet.

And yes, god damnit, this plot works and will bring the series full circle and it makes more sense than Debt of Honor.

After my endless research binge, I had to take a little break to have some fun, so I read Larry Correia's Monster Hunter Nemesis. Larry's one of those writers who are rather good, but that put themselves in a box. His box is by-the-numbers action/fantasy.

Oh it's fun as hell to read, sure, but I know he's capable of a bit more.

My wife picked up Harlan Coben's  'Missing You' for me last weekend. 

I've liked most of his books, but haven’t started it. 

I've been reading a lot of tech books for work so less fun reading, ‘fun’ being anything about tanks, plans or guns. I can read Coben’s book in the can heh.  

And I still regret not doing an all out push for your blog with calling him out for the factual failures in his post.  You seriously dented his halo with that post and response. One of the many reasons I have a lot of respect for your opinions on firearms.  You talk a lot of shit, but back it up with facts.  Kinda hard to beat that combo.

And I still regret not doing an all out push for your blog with calling him out for the factual failures in his post.  You seriously dented his halo with that post and response. One of the many reasons I have a lot of respect for your opinions on firearms.  You talk a lot of shit, but back it up with facts.  Kinda hard to beat that combo.

From what I can tell, he's a great writer, he was just very lazy and utilizing poor information with those posts.

But, I got his service record wrong, because I was going off what Wikipedia said (they got it wrong, too). Oh well.

From what I can tell, he's a great writer, he was just very lazy and utilizing poor information with those posts.

But, I got his service record wrong, because I was going off what Wikipedia said (they got it wrong, too). Oh well.

Great? I dunno about that.  Solid good? Definitely.

I believe that from what I've seen of it he caters to particularly specialized tastes, and my general experience is that the more specialized the taste the more willing the market is to forgive flaws so the value of getting money in return for writing as a barometer for quality is somewhat negotiable..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...