Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The fragile and transitory nature of humour

Toxn

So it looks like they are making hip YouTube commercials for Meplat's demographic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW3lei36D90

That's more for the DIY/Maker demographic and the shake&bake "rodder" crowd.

What is now sold as "Right Stuff" we used to get from Permatex as a grey label Delco/GM gasket compound.

Used to be some magical proprietary spoogeum, and we mainly used it on intake manifolds and coolant areas, occasionally on oil pans and valve covers.

Trouble with shit like that is, people use it as a cure all for bad shop practice, or where it does not belong.

It's okay for basic pan/valve cover/timing cover gaskets, but does not ever take the place of a good composition gasket on properly prepped surfaces.

All you'll get is leaks, and a fat bill for cleaning all that spunk out of your engine.

You want a good all purpose gasket compound, permatex 2 or the brushable  No3 "Aviation" sealants work, and for head gaskets or pan gaskets "Gasgacinch" (or good grade rubber cement/contact cement).

That's more for the DIY/Maker demographic and the shake&bake "rodder" crowd.

What is now sold as "Right Stuff" we used to get from Permatex as a grey label Delco/GM gasket compound.

Used to be some magical proprietary spoogeum, and we mainly used it on intake manifolds and coolant areas, occasionally on oil pans and valve covers.

Trouble with shit like that is, people use it as a cure all for bad shop practice, or where it does not belong.

It's okay for basic pan/valve cover/timing cover gaskets, but does not ever take the place of a good composition gasket on properly prepped surfaces.

All you'll get is leaks, and a fat bill for cleaning all that spunk out of your engine.

You want a good all purpose gasket compound, permatex 2 or the brushable  No3 "Aviation" sealants work, and for head gaskets or pan gaskets "Gasgacinch" (or good grade rubber cement/contact cement).

Yeah. The stuff looks kind of janky. But the commercial was funny because seals are fun. Even when a pack of them are robbing your net.

Having learned the hard way, I always opt for the new gasket no matter how long it takes to scrape off the old garbage. Obviously this is short of having to perform some quick and dirty on the road/in the woods emergency repair.

Watched Rick and Morty's one season all in one go recently, and I think it finally dawned on me what makes great comedy: Sincerity. My friends all love Tim and Eric, and despite Steve Brule being genuinely funny (I have a disturbing weak spot for John C. Reilly), I've never been able to watch more than a few seconds of Tim and Eric without having all of the energy sapped out of me, the TV equivalent of eating a spoonful of cinnamon. It's because it's just so "ironic", which is today's most prevalent version of lazy humor.

Lazy humor has shown up in the past as things like poor slapstick, racial shock humor, gross-out humor, anything Bill Maher has ever done, etc. Ironic Humor is basically someone acknowledging that they are not funny, but they're also aware of what isn't funny, so doing something intentionally not funny is a joke in and of itself. I enjoy Rick and Morty because it cares enough about itself that it tries to be funny and entertaining. Someone loved the show, and sincerely wanted it to be entertaining enough to put effort into the characters, animation, charm, and writing. Same thing with genuinely funny and good comedy like The Venture Brothers, The Simpsons, Futurama, and even earlier comedy like The Marx Brothers (I only just started watching their movies recently, and am surprised at how genuinely laugh-out-loud funny they still are).

You can even compare it between movies made by the same people. Sincerity is why Mel Brooks fans remember movies like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles more fondly than Men in Tights or Spaceballs. Saddles and seemed like a movie that Mel wanted to make, a movie he was passionate about. It rubbed off on the actors, who all turned in great performances and even shocked Brooks with their passionate performances.. Meanwhile, Spaceballs, while it has its moments, is the progenitor of the lazy parody, which is basically just taking situations from media, making them into more ridiculous moments, and hoping someone will go "ha ha." I think he maybe just wanted to make a fun movie with some fun people, but I don't see the heart of Young Frankenstein in it anywhere. I guess Sincerity is an important part of any medium, really, but it feels much more noticeable when it comes to comedy for me.

Watched Rick and Morty's one season all in one go recently, and I think it finally dawned on me what makes great comedy: Sincerity. My friends all love Tim and Eric, and despite Steve Brule being genuinely funny (I have a disturbing weak spot for John C. Reilly), I've never been able to watch more than a few seconds of Tim and Eric without having all of the energy sapped out of me, the TV equivalent of eating a spoonful of cinnamon. It's because it's just so "ironic", which is today's most prevalent version of lazy humor.

Lazy humor has shown up in the past as things like poor slapstick, racial shock humor, gross-out humor, anything Bill Maher has ever done, etc. Ironic Humor is basically someone acknowledging that they are not funny, but they're also aware of what isn't funny, so doing something intentionally not funny is a joke in and of itself. I enjoy Rick and Morty because it cares enough about itself that it tries to be funny and entertaining. Someone loved the show, and sincerely wanted it to be entertaining enough to put effort into the characters, animation, charm, and writing. Same thing with genuinely funny and good comedy like The Venture Brothers, The Simpsons, Futurama, and even earlier comedy like The Marx Brothers (I only just started watching their movies recently, and am surprised at how genuinely laugh-out-loud funny they still are).

You can even compare it between movies made by the same people. Sincerity is why Mel Brooks fans remember movies like Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles more fondly than Men in Tights or Spaceballs. Saddles and seemed like a movie that Mel wanted to make, a movie he was passionate about. It rubbed off on the actors, who all turned in great performances and even shocked Brooks with their passionate performances.. Meanwhile, Spaceballs, while it has its moments, is the progenitor of the lazy parody, which is basically just taking situations from media, making them into more ridiculous moments, and hoping someone will go "ha ha." I think he maybe just wanted to make a fun movie with some fun people, but I don't see the heart of Young Frankenstein in it anywhere. I guess Sincerity is an important part of any medium, really, but it feels much more noticeable when it comes to comedy for me.

I always figured the key to a good Mel Brooks movie is Gene Wilder.  His presence in the films helps add a bit of class and tone down Brooks tendency to going full on cheesy/campy.   

I always figured the key to a good Mel Brooks movie is Gene Wilder.  His presence in the films helps add a bit of class and tone down Brooks tendency to going full on cheesy/campy.   

Brooks had a problem of turning characters into joke dispensers. He could write a good joke, but couldn't really direct a movie. It always comes off as Vaudevillian to me, with people even looking at the audience to lay down a corny joke. The acting in many Brooks movies could be abysmal, even for good actors (Candy and Paxton were so off their game in Spaceballs). Compare Cleavon Little's moments in Saddles without Wilder around and compare them to say the "chess" scene. Little has unnatural emotion and awkward deliveries when he's alone, but the Chess Scene was great because Wilder was so into the character and dragged everyone with him. If it was another actor, it'd have probably been the same as the rest of the movie (awkard deliveries, goofy faces, and camera-gazing).

On a somewhat-related note, I caught the newer version of The Producers on HBO the other day, and it has cemented my extreme feelings of "meh" towards Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.

• 1 month later...

Amy Shumer has the be the most unfunny American that has ever lived

literally every one of her joke's is-

Vaginia!

Men are bad at sex!

Vaginia!

its fucking gross man, it dosent help that she is pretty damn unattractive

She makes Key and Peele look like Pen and Teller

and that faggot with the puppets look like George Carlin

I have alittle less respect for every actor that is involved in any show/movie she stared in, and i died alittle when Jon Stewart announced an interview with her

Self pity is only funny when we can relate, see- Louie CK

Most people cant relate to being a fat 30s Promiscuous woman

mainly because most of the audience of comedy (and i mean real comedy, not Rom-Coms) tends to be male

and no female would admit to being an ugly slut openly enough to laugh at it 

i really am at a loss to where her money is coming from in a free market economy

my only guess is the inbred children of the Daniel Tosh and Rom-com crowd 

Sorry but some of her stuff is actually not terrible. I mean I understand some people can only laugh about jokes making fun of how awkward and weird human sexuality can get in practice when it's coming from their side, but different strokes for different folks.

It's a hell of a lot better than Tosh in my view, who made a career on somehow being more awkward than lukewarm America's Funniest Home Videos retreads for the web 2.0 crowd. But then again I despise awkward creepy guys so I might not notice if they came out with something funny once in their career.

My god has Key and Peele died

I watched some of the last few episodes of season 4, and dont feel compelled to watch any more

Holy fuck is it bad now

The best thing i can liken it to, is the Paul Blart Mall Cop movies, where they just just throw an outrageous stereotype on screen and forget to write any jokes

Laughing at other people can be funny, if its done realistically

of course the character is an exaggeration of real life, but they arent supposed to be a fucking cartoon character

Also, all the curse words are bleeped, even on amazon, and most of the sketches just made fun of dumb white people, cops, or have people say extremely progressive and tolerant things that you normally wouldnt expect (like Pirartes singing songs about women's equality, the only funny moment in that skit has nothing to do with the singing itself)

which, by no means cant be funny

in fact there are funny examples of almost the same stuff in seasons 1, 2, and somewhat in 3. 

The difference is that they didnt overdue it to the point where the joke is being pounded into your skull

at that point its becoming unfunny

Becuase what makes it funny is that we are laughing at people we have to deal with, and the sketch is relatable.

But at a certain point, no one has ever encountered such outlandish examples of humanity 

But I dont think thats what they are written to be anymore.

I really think they are being written for 15 year old kids who think real life is what they see on Social media or YouTube or internet forums and need to have someone else actually encounter a stereotype or outrageous person because they never have themselves, and just to make sure, the stereotype is so over the top that no mongoloid on Earth could possibly miss the joke

meanwhile, the rest of use get the joke to the 5 minute skit in the first 5 seconds, grin sarcastically, and check our phones