Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The M4 Sherman Tank Epic Information Thread.. (work in progress)

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...
2 hours ago, historynerd said:

What was the biggest AT gun fitted in a Sherman in a turret?

If you are talking purely anti-tank gun inside a turret it would be a 105 mm on the Israeli M-51 :

Spoiler

M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg

During WW2 there was also a 105 mm howitzer version :

Spoiler

40.jpg

If you are a talking about Sherman based vehicles during the war it would be the 90mm of the M36.

If you are talking about base Sherman hull and turret only it would a 76 mm.

Finally you have all the open-top artillery versions where calibres are all over the place.

Alternatively you could be comparing not only calibres but penetrating power, and in that category the Chilean tanks equipped with an OTO-Melara high velocity 60mm deserve a mention :

Spoiler

PAbVpfe.jpeg

3KkPVHT.jpeg

I'm sure I forgot a variant somewhere, but @Jeeps_Guns_Tanks will remedy to that^^

You can visit his site in the meantime : https://www.theshermantank.com/

9 hours ago, Alzoc said:

If you are talking purely anti-tank gun inside a turret it would be a 105 mm on the Israeli M-51 :

Reveal hidden contents

M51-Isherman-latrun-1.jpg

During WW2 there was also a 105 mm howitzer version :

Reveal hidden contents

40.jpg

If you are a talking about Sherman based vehicles during the war it would be the 90mm of the M36.

If you are talking about base Sherman hull and turret only it would a 76 mm.

Finally you have all the open-top artillery versions where calibres are all over the place.

Alternatively you could be comparing not only calibres but penetrating power, and in that category the Chilean tanks equipped with an OTO-Melara high velocity 60mm deserve a mention :

Reveal hidden contents

PAbVpfe.jpeg

3KkPVHT.jpeg

I'm sure I forgot a variant somewhere, but @Jeeps_Guns_Tanks will remedy to that^^

You can visit his site in the meantime : https://www.theshermantank.com/

They supposedly also mounted an M26’s turret on a Sherman to. 

the-single-prototype-tank-built-by-chrys

I do have my doubts if this could be done, though. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 9:21 AM, DogDodger said:

This drawing is pretty mysterious, depending on how specific and accurate we think it might be. The M4A1 drawing features the air scoops/grouser compartments on the rear of the hull and the welded hull does not, which might indicate it's an M4A3 and not an M4 or M4A2. Like Jeeps mentioned, the presence of engine compartment doors would seemingly eliminate the M4A2, but might they be a little wide for an M4A3, since its aperture was constrained by exhaust pipes on either side? Also, the rear hull armor appears to go straight across at the sponson line, which would typically eliminate both the M4A2 and M4A3.  So it seems to simultaneously combine and lack features of all the large hatch welded hull tanks? :huh:

This intriguing drawing sparks debates over its tank model accuracy. The air scoops suggest an M4A1, but the absence of engine compartment doors challenges that. The width of the doors raises doubts about M4A3, considering exhaust constraints. Nrega