Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Matt Easton/Nikolas Lloyd Appreciation Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Bear in mind that these aren't people who have practiced wearing armor since they were children, as many in the nobility of the middle ages would have.

I don't mean to turn an appreciation station into an argument thread, but I've always been irked about the dumb 15th century France v Japan arguments and that somehow a 15th century Japanese army would totally not be fucked. The Japanese didn't really have heavy units, but France sure as shit had light ones and as a rule they'd be better trained/experienced too. Further Japanese fighting style would be at a disadvantage while the French could easily get away with being sloppy(er).

I don't mean to turn an appreciation station into an argument thread, but I've always been irked about the dumb 15th century France v Japan arguments and that somehow a 15th century Japanese army would totally not be fucked. The Japanese didn't really have heavy units, but France sure as shit had light ones and as a rule they'd be better trained/experienced too. Further Japanese fighting style would be at a disadvantage while the French could easily get away with being sloppy(er).

The general consensus is that basically any given year after the foundation of the Japanese imperial seat, the Europeans would kick their butts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One thing I have always wanted to incorporate into an RP campaign is an MMA fighter character who gets played up as being a real badass in the ring - who then gets laid out and stabbed by some random thug halfway through the game:

As this video points out, the funny thing about MMA is that it's not really "no holds barred" - well, it is in a literal sense, I think - the rules are just masked by the lack of a style. Easton makes the very valid case that the lack of running, possibility of weapons, allies, etc all create a framework for MMA to develop into its own unique style for competition that wouldn't really be a good thing to apply to the real world.

TL;DR MMA fans who think it's "the best martial art" have never been in a fight and are dumb.