Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Kerbal Space Program Total Sperg Zone

Sturgeon

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finalized version, the Kulaco. 11k delta v, +3m/s acceleration.

The nose contains additional communication equipment, guidance core with Kerbnet scanning capabilities, ore processing equipment, and science lab.

The middle contains the crew quarters, solar panels, battery banks, and docking collars.

The rear houses the closed cycle gas core NTRs, primary radiator panels, and two separable reentry vehicles. These are powered by "candle" radioisotope rockets for de-orbit burns and minor orbital maneuvers, and nuclear turbojets for atmospheric flight, even in oxygen-less environments.

Supplementary radiator panels run along the spine of the ship underneath the debris/explosion rated "Whikkle" shields.

ple8IyV.jpg

xOoY29P.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Also, I do not have the required software for making new parts for KSP. I want to make a pipeline segment that is 100m long. My original plan for the pipeline was to use orange tanks, but it was going to take way to make to stretch the ~7km from the rich part of the mineral fields on Minmus to the equator. So instead, I am planning on making a specific pipeline segment that I can put docking collars on the ends of, and only use about 250 parts to span that distance.

Plans are in the works to make a ship that is capable of transporting roughly 100 segments of pipe. This ship should hopefully be able to hover over the surface of Minmus as it travels along the planned path for the pipe, dropping segments as it goes. After all the segments have been placed roughly in position, the ship will land and disembark a heavy duty rover that is capable of moving the pipe segments into their final position, connecting them. The pipe carrier may then become either the mining station in the rich center of the mineral fields, or it make become an ore processing center at the equator.

Sadly, Solidworks is the incorrect tool for this job. So, can someone who has the ability to make parts in KSP help me out? It doesn't need to be pretty, just functional. I'm thinking a 1.25m diameter pipe body, with 3 anti-roll legs at each end. The diameter of the anti-roll legs should be 3.75m, and I need to be able to attach a docking collar to each end of the pipe.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I got back into KSP. I never really played around with aircraft, so I figured I'd give it ago. Results were mixed.

First up in my Tu-22M Backfire. It flies like ass, but it's a reasonably accurate likeness. Unless there's some way to make variable geometry wings work, this was the closest I could get.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

E79E0132A1A2D1FAE76C628F4E5B936925251632

Next up is my MiG-15/La-15 hybrid. Similarly flies terrible. However I'm much happier with this likeness. I toyed with the design some, and came up with a Super MiG-15. I went for a squared off scoop and an afterburning thrust vectoring engine. There were some minor additional airframe changes I made and the end result is pretty fantastic. I weighed one down as a research and science aircraft and it was still capable of circumnavigating Kerbin at a brisk Mach 2. The lighter "fighter" variant should offer similarly impressive performance. Due the narrow gear, landings are a dodgy prospect.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

• 2 weeks later...

So, I decided to build a forward swept flying wing.

gIUlA2I.jpg

It exhibits pronounced but still workable yaw instability, however, this largely goes away at speeds above Mach 2..... and below 3000m....... or if you turn off SAS......................

Lmm30yn.jpg

Flying this fast this low does overheat the engines rather quickly, so I had to make an emergency landing on an unprepared field. Fortunately, this thing has a stall speed somewhere around 40m/s, so the landing was the smoothest part of the flight.

8S80pUD.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...