Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The "General Purpose Cartridge" Debate

Sturgeon

This thread is for the discussion of the "general purpose cartridge" concept and the ongoing debate surrounding both it and current infantry weapons and their ammunition.

First, Tony Williams' article on his "GPC" idea, and why it should be the next infantry small arms ammunition paradigm.

Next, my rebuttal. And my second rebuttal. And my third rebuttal.

Discuss.

Duplex doesn't really mix well with the sort of ballistic performance he wants.

His objection to flechettes is related to terminal effectivess.

Really, though, it's very obvious to me that Mr. Williams is stuck in the past in this matter. He suggested the GPC first in 1971, and it was not a new idea then.

Yeah. When he starts out by extolling the 6.5 Arisaka right off the bat - I own one and actually LIKE the action - he loses a lot of credibility.

I like the current "golf bag" approach. But I'm a Mark 1 civilian and am used to having one gun that does - more or less - one job.

Yeah. When he starts out by extolling the 6.5 Arisaka right off the bat - I own one and actually LIKE the action - he loses a lot of credibility.

I like the current "golf bag" approach. But I'm a Mark 1 civilian and am used to having one gun that does - more or less - one job.

So according to him the Fedorov is the best assault rifle ever made then?

It's a fine cartridge in my opinion, but he doesn't really account for the relevant internal ballistics of the round. He assumes there's this big gulf in performance for a given peak pressure that's possible now that wasn't then, and that's really not true.

Our country worked on ~6 mm unified catridge for a new GPMG, new Avtomat and new DMR before collapse   :D

The PRC never collapsed though. :smug:

(Yes I know you're referring to the 6x48mm the USSR was designing, but smug posting to Olifant is our prime directive.)

• 1 month later...

At 274 comments and raging, I'd say there needs to be a cool down period. 

Although they mostly seem to come down to "I'm a veteran! You don't know, man! You weren't there!" and "I own and X and have had Y stoppages over Z period of time".

Edit: The "mechanical engineer" Seburo who calls everyone "mall ninjas" and "fobbits" is the "best" reading of the lot.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/12/31/dissection-yet-another-m4-hit-piece/#disqus_thread

• 4 months later...