Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The US Is Hiding Its Nukes so Poorly, It Undermines the Point of Having Them

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1348289-strategic-blackmail-of-us-by-china-may-be-approaching-expert-warns/

Some interesting commentary about the lack of concealment of the US land base nukes, and differences in China and Russia's approaches to strategic nukes.

The US relies heavily on it's sub based and air based nukes as a deterrent.

I've heard somewhat serious arguments in other corners of the internet that the minuteman silos are (partially) there to suck nukes away from other more valuable targets. Each silo requires close to a direct hit to kill, and for somebody like china that's going to absorb a lot of their nuclear forces.

The US has pushed since the 1950s the open nuclear concept.  That included the possibility of Russian observers on US submarines and at US airbases and rights of overflight for Russian planes who file flight plans 20 hours in advance.

I've heard somewhat serious arguments in other corners of the internet that the minuteman silos are (partially) there to suck nukes away from other more valuable targets. Each silo requires close to a direct hit to kill, and for somebody like china that's going to absorb a lot of their nuclear forces.

God I hope not. I'm all for virtual attrition but not of the sort that kicks up radioactive flyover state to crop dust half the country.

The US has pushed since the 1950s the open nuclear concept.  That included the possibility of Russian observers on US submarines and at US airbases and rights of overflight for Russian planes who file flight plans 20 hours in advance.

This has some merit to it, but it also kind of sucks. It's no fun having to be scared of also-rans because ABM got labeled destabilizing. It's a shame we never had a sit-down with the USSR and set out how to keep the bit players' capabilities down without having enough to really be able to seriously contemplate a counterforce strategy and actually win nuclear war.

• 9 months later...

This might just be me, but I don't see the world stomaching another truly global-scale conflict. I just think we'll have some extremists we need to squash every once in a while. The economies of nations are just too dependent on each other... too dependent on the US in particular. Economic sanctions from the US are a death sentence to a country's standards of living.

Imperialism isn't really a valid strategy in today's world. Russia got fucked hard for sticking their dick in Ukraine... I don't think you'll see them try that shit again.

Nukes are basically just there at this point to maintain peace, and continue the promotion of extensive global trade. We could be having them sitting out on public display, e.g. on rooftops in major cities, and the only real added risk would be a terrorism one.

This might just be me, but I don't see the world stomaching another truly global-scale conflict. I just think we'll have some extremists we need to squash every once in a while. The economies of nations are just too dependent on each other... too dependent on the US in particular. Economic sanctions from the US are a death sentence to a country's standards of living.

Imperialism isn't really a valid strategy in today's world. Russia got fucked hard for sticking their dick in Ukraine... I don't think you'll see them try that shit again.

Nukes are basically just there at this point to maintain peace, and continue the promotion of extensive global trade. We could be having them sitting out on public display, e.g. on rooftops in major cities, and the only real added risk would be a terrorism one.

Welcome to SH Homeles. :)  Nice to see you here.

HOW?  :wacko:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_financial_crisis_%282014%E2%80%93present%29

At any rate, I do not expect annexation/imperialism to have the same violent face it had in the past. As societies become more educated, they'll become more homogeneous. War is an economically inefficient way of achieving economic progress... and it's largely becoming irrelevant. I do worry a bit about the radicalization going on in Europe, though.

Russian crisis began in 2012, 2 years before Ukrainian events. And calling those events as annexation and imperialism shows your near 0 understanding reasons and background of conflict.

Great, and I am sure you are not stupid enough to believe that the economic sanctions have had zero impact on Russia, so I am not sure what your point is there.

I understand the situation fairly well, but if the best rebuttal that you can come up with is "you're wrong," then I have better ways of spending my time.

You pigfucker. You come to Russia you study econmic impact of geopolitical movements. Take hard look at GDP and gas prices with a drink by your farm on a hot day when the dew slides off the leaves. You recall Soviet times. Then you know of Russian economic crisis.