Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

WoT v WT effort-thread

Toxn

I'd hesitate to call the T-35 a failure, in that it was run off the tail end of the "independent" craze. At worst I'd call it an interesting branch study.

It surely did not waste as much effort or material as Maus, and the multi-turret "land ship" idea was thought well enough of to be tried by a number of nations.

I was under the assumption that the museum directors had a moment of clarity and decided to focus on vehicles worth restoring.

IIRC it was one of the last running T-35's.

It's the only T-35, and Pasholok & co basically exploded in rage when the museum crew just started it up and drove it to the restoration garage, because fuck checking the hoses and seals or whatever and assessing what kind of damage this can do, just yolo this shit for a cool PR video.

thats already restored

im all for them restoring the object 187

and maybe

producing about 1,000 of them or so

No it isn't. The last time they took it out for a spin it drove barely 100 meters and didn't do any pyrotechnics. It's far from restored.

It was one of the multi-turret prewar vehicles, may not have been the T-35 then.

There is also a T-28 hull that disappeared mysteriously from a memorial and resurfaced as a mostly fake but parade-ready tank recently.

Yeah; that was what I recall as well.  Their T-35 drives, but it's not restored.  Not by a long shot.

Look, just because a Soviet tank's engine still works doesn't mean you should assume the rest of the tank is ship-shape.  Soviet tank engines are made of Elvish alloys that allow them to start after being submerged in peat bogs for half a century.  

It's the only T-35, and Pasholok & co basically exploded in rage when the museum crew just started it up and drove it to the restoration garage, because fuck checking the hoses and seals or whatever and assessing what kind of damage this can do, just yolo this shit for a cool PR video.

Not far from par for the course, overall then.

You'd probably be shocked to learn that this is literally how a lot of people treat similar vehicles.

Including aircraft.

Kubinka staff are surprisingly bad at preservation sometimes a lot of the time. Yuri Pasholok posted a picture of their restoration compared to one of his. He was able to strip away a top layer of paint to reveal the original markings on a tank, the way they do things not only does the paint not survive, I'm pretty sure the metal itself suffers.

Kubinka staff are surprisingly bad at preservation sometimes a lot of the time. Yuri Pasholok posted a picture of their restoration compared to one of his. He was able to strip away a top layer of paint to reveal the original markings on a tank, the way they do things not only does the paint not survive, I'm pretty sure the metal itself suffers.

That's pretty much what I've seen here, for the most part. The first thing they want to do is media blast /strip everything.

The only exception I've personally seen was the restoration of Patton's command van, where they lid a layered, controlled stripping to discover markings.

Some private hobbyist restorers will perform a bit of archaeology on the paint, but the museums, etc seem to want to get it looking new and relabelled, regardless of what history that vehicle might have.

The only personal triumph I have regarding this was keeping a customer from repainting a M38A1 that was carrying it's original DPG markings.

That's pretty much what I've seen here, for the most part. The first thing they want to do is media blast /strip everything.

The only exception I've personally seen was the restoration of Patton's command van, where they lid a layered, controlled stripping to discover markings.

Some private hobbyist restorers will perform a bit of archaeology on the paint, but the museums, etc seem to want to get it looking new and relabelled, regardless of what history that vehicle might have.

The only personal triumph I have regarding this was keeping a customer from repainting a M38A1 that was carrying it's original DPG markings.

We had a rush job at the PA Military Museum, though not in the traditional sense. The last known un-altered M1917 is in the museum. When they did a WW1 exhibit, they put concrete all over it to make it look like mud. Once the new curator came in, he had it pulled immediately since he had the sense to realize it was corroding the steel on it. They did a good job of fixing and painting it.

• 2 weeks later...

I fired up the ol' launcher to see what's up. After a 3 GB download the game launched and offered another 6 gigs of high rez textures and sounds. When I declined, it would pop up the offer to download the textures every time I clicked anything in the garage, not letting me change any decals until I did so. 

The game itself hasn't really changed, tanks still control like butter sliding around a hot pan, but the inclusion of a picture-in-picture view of you hitting your enemy is nice, since the game is still about pixel-hunting a model the size of an ant on your screen. What fun! Oh, and since I didn't download the fancy textures, the game decided to remind me of that fact continuously while I played. Thanks, Gaijin. 

The high res textures are worth it, even with them on, along with Ultra settings the game runs literally twice as fast as WoT on my rig.

Not that you should be turning off your settings, since there is no spotting system in realistic and simulator, having bushes diapled gives you a huge advantage

Not that i do, since if im going to play something that looks like T-34s sliding around Shreck's ass cheeks its gonna be something alteast fun like T-72 balkans on fire 

They've also done a huge UI update, and almost made deflections realistic (although x4 for catastrophic failure is still too high and fucking lol even with x2 for TD as is real it would only matter in edges cases, in most scenarios if TD is double plate thickness the penetration of the shell is high enough to not matter if there was no TD affect). 10% bounce rate is still dumb, and bullshit because a bounced shot is easily death.

I think the worst part that's gnawing at me is what they're choosing for premiums in ground units. I mean, functional experimental vehicles is dumb, seriously, the T-34/100 should sit in the main tree along with a T-44/100, and there is no reason the Super Hellcat shouldn't be on the tank destroyer line. IMHO, the US gets screwed out of a lot of vehicles because they had to be shipped over and unlike the Russians and Germans especially, couldn't and wouldn't just throw entirely experimental shit into the fray because they weren't desperate.

I think I had that discussion with Colli once, and the conclusion is that if the US shared a border with Germany WW2 would have ended with the US occupying the smoking crater of Berlin with M29 and M46 tanks, with at least one German tank division nuked to fucking hell. In reality, the Atlantic is what saved Germany from a horrifying case of the disease known as "Fucking Dead".

Many trees in Warthunder get "screwed" in all sorts of ways, because their dev team seems unwilling to crack a book.

How so? You're implying the trees lack tanks with this statement, the German and Russian ones seem mostly complete, only missing a few, while the US tree has gaping holes mostly due to the reality of ocean going logistics. Ordnance and USGF didn't want 4 types of tank that do the exact same shit that have no parts commonality so the trees have no filler, things like the T72, T21, T23, T67, T50, T53, T82, T78, etc aren't serialized because the M18, M36 and M4 did all those tanks jobs without making a mess of engineering and logistics.

I do kinda want the T82, at least in T82E1 form because it'd be hilarious to have a blatantly superior Wirbelwind in the game and has as much right to exist as the current Kugelblitz. Oh, and the XP-72 from planes, because holy shit why do the Germans get the special snowflake Ta152?

Also, denying the French a place, because of the infinite forum sadness of "but muh immersion", "no prototypes!", "no paper tanks!". Always from wehraboos.

"Hi yes, this is the dumbfuck residence, who's calling?"

"This is the Panther II, just calling to let you know your shares in hypocrisy are doing fine."

How so? You're implying the trees lack tanks with this statement, the German and Russian ones seem mostly complete, only missing a few, while the US tree has gaping holes mostly due to the reality of ocean going logistics. Ordnance and USGF didn't want 4 types of tank that do the exact same shit that have no parts commonality so the trees have no filler, things like the T72, T21, T23, T67, T50, T53, T82, T78, etc aren't serialized because the M18, M36 and M4 did all those tanks jobs without making a mess of engineering and logistics.

I do kinda want the T82, at least in T82E1 form because it'd be hilarious to have a blatantly superior Wirbelwind in the game and has as much right to exist as the current Kugelblitz. Oh, and the XP-72 from planes, because holy shit why do the Germans get the special snowflake Ta152?

Also, denying the French a place, because of the infinite forum sadness of "but muh immersion", "no prototypes!", "no paper tanks!". Always from wehraboos.

"Hi yes, this is the dumbfuck residence, who's calling?"

"This is the Panther II, just calling to let you know your shares in hypocrisy are doing fine."

You're misinterpreting my comment of "screwed"..

I'm referring to things like the implementation of the U.S. trees with modules located in hilariously wrong locations, or the inclusion of modules those vehicles never had. (IIRC the M41 -still- mounts a radiator)

The Tiger 1 headlamp fiasco, and the continued hesitance of Gaijin to give any German armor AA MG's  are further examples.  Then we have the P-38...

In what you're describing, there are still plenty as you've mentioned. Gaijin has no issues shitting out infinite vatiations of lend-lease, "captured" or quasi experimental vehicles in game, that they are not doing the same to the U.S. or German trees is a good thing in my opinion, but I'm betting they get around to doing just that the instant one of their FO's decides there is gelt to be made with napkin-panzers.

Yet they are basically throwing the Germans a shitton of protos. The Kugelblitz, the Coelian, the Tiger B mit 105, the Panther "II", the Maus. For aircraft it's even worse. In comparison, the US tree has almost nothing that qualifies as experimental - T32, T95 and uh, maybe the M6A1; aircraft is even worse, the only thing that modestly qualifies as experimental is the F-86F-2, and that's because it's a holdover from timeline restrictions when they could easily replace it with an F-86H. The Russians have even less.

Germany gets preferred treatment as far as vehicles goes, and every fucking wehraboo salivates over X or Y experimental monstrosity because something shot at it and that means it's fair to have ingame, yet when the same logic is applied to other nations they shit on the idea. "It never saw combat, therefore" makes no sense when both examples are functional machines, one just happens to be used by desperate fucksticks because they're bad at war. In many cases the Germans made fewer of a model than other nations made of prototypes. The Jagdtiger is a fantastic example - more T23s were made than Jagdtigers, yet they'd definitely get mad at the T23 existing on the tech tree. More T82s existed than Kugelblitzes, more T32s or T29s than Maus.