Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Fucking NERA everywhere

More fun with calculated values - I stuck the values from Tank Designer 0.9 into a new spreadsheet, fixed them up a bit and then used solver on them to try to come up with an optimised array against all threats. ERA wins hands down, with NERA being the second-best option when ERA is excluded.

Here it is interesting to note that the solver never comes up with multi-material arrays (combining, say, a material good against APFSDS with a material good against HEAT). It is also interesting to note the sheer advantage even the gimped ERA values have in terms of areal density.

I'm really wondering at this point how hard it would be to make an armour package that simply consists of stacked, hollow RHA boxes (with holes to vent gas) filled with ERA bricks. You could lay this stuff in two rows deep for protection against tandem charges, and still get an areal density 1/4 of the equivalent level of RHA protection.

14 hours ago, Renegade334 said:

Are there any known cutaways/schematics of SLERA armor? Is it just NERA armor with minute doses of explosives mixed into the rubber layers or is it something else entirely?

The only "supposed" cutaway I could find was some rumored cutaway of the LeClerc's armor package, but quite a few people doubted the validity of it.

Concerning shaped charge Beyond-armour effect.
The results of soviet tests in 1968 (development of integrated ERA) using pressure sensors and rabbits. In case of penetration of 115 mm HEAT round inside the testing rig sensors recorded overpressure with an amplitude of 0.4 kg / cm2. Such overpressure can be considered dangerous for humans.

http://andrei-bt.livejournal.com/469619.html

That's new info. Thanks. 

I've been hearing about the effects of open hatches upon hits (primarily HEAT charges) but I've never quite understood the logic there. Always thought I've missed some parameter. Because either way, you're going to get your ears popped and a serious concussion.

This level of pressure shouldn't just be dangerous, but lethal in close proximity, as it's enough to have it applied to your neck and you're done for. But how consistent is that pressure across the tank and how effective are NBC systems against such sudden rise in overpressure?

Even more fun with models - I used solver and the longrods calculator spreadsheet to optimise penetrator designs and then optimise armour values against them.

It turns out that if you select for maximum ME and limit TE to RHA or better you discover that the perfect alloy is something in the region of 8-9g/cm3 and has a hardness of about 450 BHN. ME is then about 1.12 for a TE of 1.

Edit: what actually happened in that I maximised TE while holding ME at 1 or better. The optimal hardness is still 450 BHN, and the density is 9.2g/cm2. The result was a TE of about 1.17.

Optimising ME while holding TE at 1 or better nets you an ME of 1.17, a density of 6.7g/cm2 and a hardness of 450 BHN.

I wonder if there are any high-hardness, high-density steel alloys that fit the bill?

Edited because I actually have the sheet in front of me now, and my memory sucks.

• 1 month later...
On 21.02.2017 at 0:13 AM, DD000 said:

What does it say for the 6th material down? The one with a density of 1.0 - 1.1 g/cc. (Also, it triggers me that the rows for the material and values in the second table aren't aligned...)

Polyurethane, polyethylene in multi layered systems alternately(more proceeded by(I have no fck idea what they meant there so literal translation)) with layers of steel.

If anything else need to be translated from Polish language I can do it.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

So apparently the Japanese Type 83 self-propelled air-defence vehicle is fitted with NERA along the frontal hull...

zYYK6ef.jpg

.1.jpg

Yes, quite old news actually. Some guy at the WT forums found out about it, and now everyone there are losing their shit about the composite armor on it. 

Though, quite confusing to use NERA for small arms protection. 

• 5 weeks later...

From a patent by Diehl BGT Defence: anti-EFP-IED & anti-KE armor, that can be fiitted with additional NERA plates (number 11) to also work against shaped charges:

pcrTxS5.png

T2bH4vT.png

For those believing in perforated DU/DU rod armor inside the Abrams, this might be a possible explanation of how the armor looks like. It is claimed that such a layout can be rather weight efficient against EFPs, the metal rods with quadrangular cross-section can be hollow and made of conventional sturcural steel (rather than armor steel) to save costs. Alternatively they can be made of armor steel and/or filled with another material if desired.

18 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Apparently bundles of cardboard can stop RPG's.

kKxYt4f.png

According to rumors, this was a Chinese-made Type 56 (RPG-2 copy) and it still managed to penetrate the base armor, wounding at least one crew member.