Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I've got Ogorkiewicz's new tank book, and according to it the T-64, T-72 and T-90 all have a multi-radius geared steering system.  This is consistent with what Xlucine described to me when he dug up an old East German T-72 manual.  How exactly this system is arranged without being excessively bulky I do not understand.

The Swedish trials of the T-80 and comments from the engine manufacturer suggest that the baseline T-80 has a single-radius-per-gear double differential steering system.  For whatever reason, the steering drive lives on the gas turbine.  Comments from the engine manufacturers suggest that the GTD-1250 has an upgraded steering drive with an infinitely variable hydrostatic speed adjustment.  So any T-80 with the GTD-1250 enjoys not only the higher acceleration of the more powerful engine, but also the greater maneuverability of the new steering drive.

So, my provisional lists for the steering systems of WWII and Cold War Soviet tanks is thus:

BT series:  Wheeled steering when running on wheels, clutch and brake when using tracks.

T-34 series:  Clutch and brake only.

T-43:  Unknown

Majority of KV series:  Clutch and brake only

KV-13:  Single radius geared steering with auxiliary clutch and brake (per The_Chieftain)

Majority of IS series:  Single radius geared steering with auxiliary clutch and brake.  Other systems planned, but never mass produced.

T-150 and IS-4:  Triple differential(?).  Only vague clues to go on here, and The_Chieftain's confirmation that it neutral steers.

T-44:  Clutch and brake only.

T-54, T-55, T-62:  Single radius geared steering with auxiliary clutch and brake

T-64, T-72, T-90:  Multi-radius geared steering with auxiliary clutch and brake

T-80:  Single radius double differential if equipped with GTD-1000, infinitely variable hydrostatic double differential if equipped with GTD-1250.  Unknown for diesel variants.