Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

QUESTION:

What tanks possess an automatic target tracking capability in their FCS? I've known that the BAZ FCS on the Merkava 3 had it, and I know the T-14 recently got it, but so far I have heard that Abrams tanks lack it, and haven't heard anything about Leopards or other eastern tanks.

Can anyone, without even detailing much, give insight as to what tanks do have such capability? If it's a family of tanks, then please mention the first variant to have it.

Thanks in advance,

Zukboi.

1 hour ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

QUESTION:

What tanks possess an automatic target tracking capability in their FCS? I've known that the BAZ FCS on the Merkava 3 had it, and I know the T-14 recently got it, but so far I have heard that Abrams tanks lack it, and haven't heard anything about Leopards or other eastern tanks.

Can anyone, without even detailing much, give insight as to what tanks do have such capability? If it's a family of tanks, then please mention the first variant to have it.

Thanks in advance,

Zukboi.

The only other Tank I remember having Automatic tracking is the K2 ( https://www.hyundai-rotem.co.kr/Eng/Business/Machine/Business_Record_View.asp?brid=32 )

3 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

QUESTION:

Thanks in advance,

Zukboi.

T-90MS have autotracking, T-72B3 have it as well (IIRC it is done via thermal imager "locking" on hottest part of target). Well, if T-72 have it than I expect any modern MBT should have it.

3 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

T-90MS have autotracking, T-72B3 have it as well (IIRC it is done via thermal imager "locking" on hottest part of target). Well, if T-72 have it than I expect any modern MBT should have it.

Wasn't it part of the Kalina FCS standardization effort to bring all tanks to a certain level?

If Russia could bring this feature to the T-14 it could definitely copy it for the rest.

Pz 68 M0911 also known as Pz 68ET is a upgraded Pz 68, it got up armored and also recieved a 120mm gun though it never got accepted into service.
It was produced in 1984 and had a combat weight of 42.000 kg, it also apparently could carry 56 120mm rounds (44 in the hull and 12 on turret floor) and 5200 rounds for its 7,5mm Panzer Maschinengewehr 1951/71. 
It retained the MTU MB 837 Ba-500 of the Pz 68 which delivered 660hp and its APU.

mzUMt2O.jpg

d8f7Cuc.jpg

0RhgbXk.jpg

SBh7tmi.jpg

ec4yIdL.jpg