Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

73c207bcf770155440a1dc9c90ab6c97.jpg

Upgraded Chonma. Note ERA on the glacis and dual grende launchers on top. High resolutions allows a nice look at the optics and sensors.

Close up of the turret:

636278405600032012-AP-North-Korea-Founder-s-Birthday.jpg

Also, look at the device to the left from smoke grenade launchers - it looks like laser sensor (at least for me). On photo in your post you can see same device on other side of the turret. Chonma-216 really looks like most advanced Best Korean tank.

12 minutes ago, ZloyKrolik said:

For a second I thought it said Qatar ordered 1500 Turkish armored vehicles from Amazon. 

They have everything there these days.

Is there a good guide out there on Middle Eastern military procurement policies?  They seem to operate a wider, more diverse range of materiel than is remotely sane.  I'm curious if the process is mainly bribery-driven or mainly politically-driven.

Just now, Collimatrix said:

Is there a good guide out there on Middle Eastern military procurement policies?  They seem to operate a wider, more diverse range of materiel than is remotely sane.  I'm curious if the process is mainly bribery-driven or mainly politically-driven.

Its political, they use oil money to buy weapons from whoever in exchange for more geopolitical backing. 

The militaries in the Gulf States don't seem to be anything more than country clubs for the royalty & friends while they get proxies or mercenaries to actually fight their wars so it doesn't really matter what they buy because they don't plan on using most of it. 

12 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

According to the discussion I have had with my Dad, Egyptian generals liked to use M60 upgrade programs as an excuse to take a fact finding trip to the US.  Of course, they never ended up actually buying any upgrades, but they got to have a free vacation.  

9 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

According to the discussion I have had with my Dad, Egyptian generals liked to use M60 upgrade programs as an excuse to take a fact finding trip to the US.  Of course, they never ended up actually buying any upgrades, but they got to have a free vacation.  

To Detroit. But then again, there is a large Arab population in Detroit, at least the middle eastern food is good. My wife is from Royal Oak.

The second decade of the 21st century will go down in military history as the age of the orks!

More dakka

Speed holes

Waaggghh wagons

Definitely the age of the Ork

However, no one will have very much information about it except a few autistic kids who hang out at mall hobby shops because Games Workshop will own the rights to any display, description, or media presentation of everything military history from this decade. 

Because of this, books and model kits will be stupidly expensive and if you want to learn about any of the really cool gear, vehicles, or military units much less purchase model kits you're going to have to buy them from Forgeworld...

Aka the only company that makes games workshop prices seem reasonable!

On 4/14/2017 at 7:24 PM, ZloyKrolik said:

I was wondering about Lend Lease tanks. Did the Soviets put their own radios & MGs into them or did they use the original equipment? How about ammo? Did they receive ammo for them or did they set up a production line for them?

http://tankarchives.blogspot.com/2017/04/end-of-rearmament.html#more

Thanks EE.

The 'Heidar-6' 8x8 APC—a BTR-60PB refitted with a BMP-1 IFV turret—unveiled at Iran's National Army Day parade.

C9rSJ7IUIAAZnWj.jpg

That is more interesting:

Another BTR-60PB-based vehicle was also unveiled—the 'Heidar-5' minelayer. Photos indicate the vehicle can launch 36 YM-2 mines.

C9sEnrKUMAE7Q1r.jpg

C9sEo6LUMAQZTXa.jpg

On 17.04.2017 at 1:16 PM, LoooSeR said:

Close up of the turret:

636278405600032012-AP-North-Korea-Founder-s-Birthday.jpg

Also, look at the device to the left from smoke grenade launchers - it looks like laser sensor (at least for me). On photo in your post you can see same device on other side of the turret. Chonma-216 really looks like most advanced Best Korean tank.

On the right side of photo(left side of turret) it's anti tank rocket or other kind of AA rocket?