Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

50 minutes ago, sevich said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiofrequency_MASINT#Black_Crow:_truck_detection_on_the_Ho_Chi_Minh_trail

does anyone happen to know if turbines or diesels produce a signal?

They do not.  The RF noise that Black Crow picked up was from the spark plugs, and diesels and turbines don't have those.

In fact, I'm not sure if this technique even works against all Otto engines, or whether it just worked against the ones that were common at the time.

Colli & Zyklon,

I can actually answer this for you guys conclusively. Colli's hypothesis/suspicion that this technique wouldn't work on most Otto cycle engines is 100% accurate. 

Basically the only engines you can use this technique against are pre distributor cap era carbureted dinosaurs... Magnetos and points are the cause but I am not recollecting exactly why.  More or less tthough it's because they pump out a shit ton of dirty rf noise across huge chunks of the spectrum.

One of the reasons this was the preferred methodology for this application has to do with c119 flying boxcar and EARLY c47 gunships flown by people who weren't there, out of countries we weren't in, and thus these very deniable and fungible assets were better off with a detection setup that so plausibly deniable.