Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The interesting ship photos/art thread.

Belesarius

ATLA_Future_Multi_Purpose_Trimaran_MAST_

" The HMSVO (standing for High Speed Multi-hull Vessel Optimisation) project is being conducted to improve design and performance evaluation capabilities for multi hull ships. The US Navy's NAVSEA Carderock division and Japan's MoD ATLA are cooperating on the project. Navy Recognition was told that the US design differs from the Japanese design however. "

Another odd question.  On several different types of Russian ships, I have noticed what look to be small caliber cannons.

Udaloy, near base of bridge and AShM launchers

WNRussian_39-70_ak100_Kulakov_pic.jpg

Open in new tab for more detail

Vice_Admiral_Kulakov-5-Missiles.JPG

Sovremenny, in front of SAM launcher

Otlichnnyy1.jpg

Ropucha. Most I've seen do not have them, and I have found images of the particular ship in the link below to be without them as well.

https://themoscowtimes.com/static/uploads_new/publications/2016/7/1/c715b00255d24ff49ff0dc3095f74523.jpg

I feel like I have seen them on Kirovs as well, but I can't find any good pictures.

They appear very similar to the 45mm 21-k gun, both in the gun itself and the mounting.  

200807220905550.06-0575.jpg?GalleryID=1&

Another

200801191643370.6.jpg?GalleryID=1&s_Cate

However, these would be incredibly obsolete for use on any ships following WW2, for aerial or surface targets.  All places I have checked do not list anything even related under their lis of armaments, and I cannot find any information on what they might even be.  So, what are these things, and what purpose do they serve?