Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The interesting ship photos/art thread.

Belesarius

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don’t have any photo’s or art, but I do have some info today! I was reading Norman Friedman’s “British destroyers and frigates: WW2 and beyond” and found an interesting passage. It appears that during the design stage of the Tribal class destroyers, it was seriously considered to have 5 twin 4.7inch (62 lb) guns in a Dido type arrangement (3 super firing forward, 2 aft), with a quad pompom and quad torpedo tube. This was dropped, for obvious reasons, as being over treaty weight (1,850 tons for destroyer leaders) and top heavy, but the reasoning behind the admiralty’s decision was that the bridge was too tall, and would make the ship easier to spot and hit. 

s584027.jpg

It’s interesting to me that the US navy had experimented with designs for super long battleships as early as 1911-1912 (this particular one being from 1913, and 895 feet / 273 meters waterline length), yet kept going with the “armored football” of the South Carolina through Colorado classes. 

• 3 months later...

Navy Unveils Next-Generation DDG(X) Warship Concept with Hypersonic Missiles, Lasers

Source: https://news.usni.org/2022/01/12/navy-unveils-next-generation-ddgx-warship-concept-with-hypersonic-missiles-lasers

screen-shot-2022-01-12-at-4-38-38-pm

"Notionally, the new ship could power up to 600-kilowatt lasers that would be powerful enough to interdict hostile guided missiles."

"The current DDG-51s field 96 MK-41 VLS cells and USNI News understands that Navy requirements keep the VLS cells for DDG(X) about the same."

"The SPY-6 air search radar could expand from a 14-foot aperture to an 18-foot aperture that would increase the sensitivity of the sensor. The Navy is also planning for a modular payload space for different future missions."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...