Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian tanks at war. Some pictures and words between them.

LoooSeR

it is sort of special because it is... Syrian-made complete-package laser rangefinder, AFAIK.

I like how they used the industrial standard switch box and switches to make it. Cheap, but takes up a lot more room than it needs to do.

I could probably make that thing in about 3 hours.

SAA T-55MV with North Korean thermal imager, Quneitra, 21/10/2016.

CvTO63NVMAA2QC8.jpg

WithinSyria.blogspot.com has some more photos from the North Korean FCS:

3Z8fxaJ.jpg

15801053_393636020979433_1614035721_n.jp

15782777_393636070979428_1748558190_n.jp

15782066_393636107646091_775262637_n.jpg

1.png

15749607_393636154312753_192374046_n.jpg

15801222_393636137646088_1051488085_n.jp

It includes a new computer system with it's own control panels, a barometer, a hygrometer, and a thermometer. Range is supposedly up to 4 km. It is fully automatic aside of the optional wind setting, the gunner can switch between first and second laser echo. The FCS was designed in Syria, but the technology was delivered by North Korea.

One of the things I find interesting is the efforts by what's left of the Syrian army, to improvise upgrades of their MBTs. Previously, through the course of several wars, there had been little attempt to do so. Beyond changing tracks, and very  basic repairs, there was little engineering capability evident to modify or improve AFVs. Things have changed considerably. 

One of the things I find interesting is the efforts by what's left of the Syrian army, to improvise upgrades of their MBTs. Previously, through the course of several wars, there had been little attempt to do so. Beyond changing tracks, and very  basic repairs, there was little engineering capability evident to modify or improve AFVs. Things have changed considerably. 

Quite so.  In peacetime, it's probably easy to think "eh, a tank is a tank.  Why do we need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on fire control system upgrades?  A baseline T-72M will beat up on any insurgents well enough."

And only when tanks are actually patrolling city blocks looking for ATGM teams does anyone think "goddamn, we need thermal optics yesterday."

Hi Collimatrix,

In the case of Syria though, the lack of innovation wasn't just in peacetime. Through the endless conflict with Israel, the Syrians seemed absolutely unable to upgrade or otherwise fix their tanks. One IDF tanker once told me, only half-joking, anything more than a thrown track and the Syrians just expected the Soviet Union to provide a new tank. That mind set has now apparently gone.