Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Syrian tanks at war. Some pictures and words between them.

LoooSeR

6 hours ago, chihab said:

i don't believe they will fight with this tank

but maybe they use like a artillery or like a booby - tapped cars

Turret is jammed and weapon system probably don't work so i expected them to Jihad Design bureau it into APC or IFV on T-90 chassis. Using it to make VBIED is wastefull, for artillery - very ineffective (weight of armor and resulting carrying capacity is not up to task).

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

Turret is jammed and weapon system probably don't work so i expected them to Jihad Design bureau it into APC or IFV on T-90 chassis. Using it to make VBIED is wastefull, for artillery - very ineffective (weight of armor and resulting carrying capacity is not up to task).

i don't think they have ability to make a IFV from T-90 chassis ! they need some manufacture capacity except IS have it 

for artillery i speak about the static firing and fire support i think the tank can't fire in move anyway 

A dumb question perhaps, but by what means or agreement is all this Russian equipment being given to Syria?  Are the Syrians buying it all as if normal, is it being gifted to them, or is it somewhere in between? The fact that they're getting stuff on both ends of the quality spectrum (T-62Ms and BMPs vs T-90s and BTR-82As), if you will, is something of interest to me as well.

It's all equipment that Russia intends to get rid of either in the short term or mid term. Even the T-90A. It would not be in Russia's best interest to overburden Syria further with more expenses. Eventually, Russia will be the big winner by racking up all the construction deals, or at least a good portion of them, amounting to billions of dollars worth of work. 

There are probably still zillions of obsolete tanks in storage in Russia.  IIRC, T-10 heavy tanks were kept in reserve well into the 1990s (although Ensign Expendable has questioned how mechanically ready these actually would have been for war).  Nobody really wants to buy a T-62M these days, but Syria has a large and active T-62 operators community.  So if the shoe fits (up your enemy's ass), wear it.

On 14.02.2017 at 2:05 AM, Scolopax said:

A dumb question perhaps, but by what means or agreement is all this Russian equipment being given to Syria?  Are the Syrians buying it all as if normal, is it being gifted to them, or is it somewhere in between? The fact that they're getting stuff on both ends of the quality spectrum (T-62Ms and BMPs vs T-90s and BTR-82As), if you will, is something of interest to me as well.

I suspect that most of it or just all are basically gifts. Syrians received T-62Ms becayse those tanks are not that bad, acutally and because it is much easier to train Syrian tankers to use it, as colli already mentioned main reason - SAA have/had T-62s in numbers.

#SAA 5thcrop. T-62M

C4pZTHAXUAEMTcp.jpg

With Syria blog finally made article (although small one) about SAA T-55 upgrades.

Syrian T-55 Upgrades : T-55AMV & Viper-55 sight.

96jb.png  

We’ve been over some Syrian T-55 tanks and the improvements introduced to them while they remain in service with the Syrian Arab Army. Today we’re going to address another version of this rugged beasts, The Ukrainian-upgraded Syrian T-55AMV.

And while considering different scenarios these special-use tanks may encounter, the SAA decided to improve the tank’s visibility at night. The Syrian AMV kit originally did not include a thermal vision option, however, a locally made ‘scope’, using a cooled-thermal camera was developed by the SSRC "Syrian Scientific Research Center", installed over the laser range finder

16295514_1328308173892232_1469856490_n.jpg

inside an LCD screen was installed for observation while the aiming is throw the scope.

dssa.png

the sight that we will call "Viper-55" gave the tank crew a 4-5Km thermal-vision capability. The Bastion sights are not affected, and remain with the old guiding sights.

ds.png

Oryx blog article on T-62Ms of the 5th corps

Replenishing the Stocks: Russian deliveries of T-62Ms and BMP-1s reach Syria

322.png

Following many rumours concerning the delivery of new armoured fighting vehicles to the Syrian Arab Army, images coming out of Syria have now confirmed such a delivery did indeed take place. These newly delivered vehicles are destined for the Syrian Arab Army's 5th Corps, which is currently engaged in heavy combat with the Islamic State in between T4 airbase and Tadmur. Indeed, images and videos covering the fighting that currently takes place here have already confirmed the vehicles are doing their part in bringing the fight back to the Islamic State.